Official Football Thread

Not saying this will happen in the match but this goal from Sneijder at the training is really cool:
http://nos.nl/ek2012/video/381785-geweldige-goal-sneijder-in-charkov.html
At 0.48!
There was an article in the paper this morning which mentioned the Dutch players in training striking brilliant goals, and compared it with England's Andy Carroll who the crowd were apparantly laughing at in training because he was tripping over his own feet. I saw one of his shots yesterday: it went three times the height of the goal.

The Polish have their own strength this time.

They have the so called "supertrio" from Borussia Dortmund. These players played a vital role in the German Championship. They became champions, not least because of topscorer Lebanowski.

It's just a matter of keeping the same mentality in the second half. I admit that this can be a problem. It's almost typically for the Polish squad that they feel more comfortable in the underdog role, but when they come ahead.... they need to keep up the pressure.

Show of strength? I wouldn't say it's the most deserved victory I've ever seen.
But yes, the Dutch disappointed because they missed all those chances.

Don't think the other two nations played better than us, so there's still hope. Wednesday will be do or die time (against the Germans)!

I expected you'd say that Foro.

Yes, show of strength. Denmark played steadily all game long, controlled the pace of the game perfectly. The goalkeeper and the defenders were fabulous also the midfielders seemed absolutely ready to go.

On the other hand, majority of the Dutch players seemed unfit, there was a big lack of concentration going on. Had it not been the case, the Netherlands would get the victory easily because of the quality difference between the teams. Arjen Robben has had troubles all season long and it seemed that he couldn't get past it. Robin van Persie was horrible on the finishing unlike his season in Arsenal. Actually, the only Dutch player who was on top of his game was Wesley Sneijder and maybe Ibrahim Afellay. (not the player you'd expect given the fact that he was injured most of the season)

Denmark deserved the win, not by the way you'd like, but they did.

Sneijder was indeed great. He gave inhuman passes. Willems was very good as well and the cool thing is that he is the youngest player ever in the history of the European Championships.

I expected you'd say that Foro.
Yes, show of strength. Denmark played steadily all game long, controlled the pace of the game perfectly. The goalkeeper and the defenders were fabulous also the midfielders seemed absolutely ready to go.

The defenders were fabulous? Denmark played steadily all game long? They lost the ball countless times. They gave away 28 chances. 28, how often does that happen.... Unbelievable that the ball didn't go in. That was the main problem of this match.

The only statistic that counts and which shows why Denmark won was the goal. It's all that counts, but I am sure that many neutral spectators would say that the Dutch played better and deserved to win at least as much as the Danes. Seriously, we played better than in 2010 when we beat Denmark with 2-0 at the World Championships.

Look, I admit that the Dutch did not play well when it was needed. I saw the bad defending when that goal happened (Heitinga with his back towards the attacker, like an amateur) and naturally we've all seen how bad they handled those chances.

Still, that huge amount of chances gives me hope for the next match. Germany is better than Denmark, but with a little more luck (and indeed concentration) we can do it. Speaking of luck, this was an annoying moment, and a 1000% penalty:

Quoting some YouTube users: Quite an achievement to make two handballs at once, and quite an achievement to not spot it as a referee.
+
Danish keeper had a nice faked injury to kill the play where Huntelaar en van Persie were bearing down on an open goal. He didn't get hit, just flopped over and started rolling around after failing to gain possession of the ball.

Not all of the changes were caused by the defenders' mistakes. Actually, almost none of them were. Simon Kjaer and Daniel Agger were incredibly powerful, Robin van Persie was exhausted in the second half. Arjen Robben always tried to beat the defenders by dribbling and failed over and over again, props to Simon Poulsen for that.

Almost everyone who I've talked about the game were saying how determined, steady and powerful the Danish side looked. And I'm Turkish I was absolutely neutral about this game.

Can't say anything about the penalty though, it was %100 a penalty.

Kudo's to them, but still the huge amount of chances was created, and the way you skip this doesn't do the match justice.

Kudo's to them, but still the huge amount of chances was created, and the way you skip this doesn't do the match justice.

Well I didn't say the Netherlands played horribly, I only said they were disappointing. Isn't it fair to expect more from the latest World Cup Runner Ups and one of the favorites to win this tournament ?

The Danes got lucky, agreed, but out of those 28 chances a lot were shots from difficult angles or long distance. Few were of the kind that normally go in. And for the last 1/4 of the match, the Dutch pressure decreased rather than the opposite. And the few chances the Danish got, came from unsecure defending from the Dutch. If I were you, Foro, I'd be quite worried before the matches against Portugal and Germany. Those teams have much more attacking power than Denmark, so you really need to straighten up in defense. Attacking-wise, the good spells against Denmark were really good, and showed that the Dutch team has plenty to offer in attack.

That being said: The Germans didn't really impress against Portugal either. The Portuguese parked the bus for much of the game and made it difficult for them, and it nearly paid off.

The first day of Group B makes it live up to the "group of death" label.

Portugal are extremely frustrating to watch. They have the second best player of the last 20 years and yet seem so reluctant to attack. It wasn't just yesterday, they've played the same way for the last 3 or 4 tournaments.

After seeing Germany play like that yesterday, I'm tempted to put a bet on Spain for the title. (cue shock Italy victory)

Yes, the defense is indeed the problem. On previous tournaments it was more secure.
The only hope I can have is that we'll score more goals than the opponent. Attacking power we have. Time to convert it into goals.

Forostar, what's your opinion on who should start up front for the Netherlands, van Persie or Hunterlaar or both? There's no way the manager can't start with Huntelaar (or both) in the next match, van Persie was embarassing at times in yesterday's match.
Willems looked very good, a definite talent.

Well mate, that's a big discussion here as well. For years, it seems Van Persie is a very good club player but in Oranje he looks like a different one, especially when it comes to scoring. Last week, Huntelaar was angry when Van Marwijk told him that Van Persie would be the no. 1.

I am doubting about it myself. Van Persie scored only once in 2010 but surely played an important role, without scoring.

I can't see Van Marwijk changing this immediately. That could cause another row or at least give more unrest.
But you can bet that he'll bring in Huntelaar way earlier if things go wrong again.

Having them both is another option but that could mean we'll start with a more vulnerable midfield.
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing them both but I am not sure what that would ask from the other players and the playing system. Can't imagine a radical move. I am very curious what Van Marwijk will do.
There's a chance that Matthijsen (defender) will be fit to play against ze Germans, so he might return. Will he change anything else... we'll see.

I guess both Spain and Italy are pleased with a draw, but neither team can be pleased with how they played. It's a long time since Spain missed that many passes, and I suspect Italy had planned to be a lot tighter at the back than they ere today. Many chances, for both teams, came from interceptions of poor passes, or from defenders being out of position. Still, I expect both Spain and Italy to go comfortably through to the quarters.

Not really sure what to expect from Croatia vs Ireland ...

I don't think Spain was that pleased. They definitely wanted to win (also in the end phase) and the Italians seemed pretty happy with the draw.

Not really sure what to expect from Croatia vs Ireland ...
Hate to say it, but I think the Irish will prop up group C. Not just because Croatia has just scored, but I can't see them getting too much from Croatia and very little from Spain/Italy.

Still, it does look like Torres has regained his Chelsea "form" of a few months back.

I'll be backing England tomorrow, but I'm still not excited!

Back