Official Football Thread

Agreed. One could as well remove England. The clubs listed have not been relegated since 1992, fair enough, but all of them have at some point been relegated. Chelsea, for example, were an elevator club in the 80s. The last time these were relegated from the top division:

Arsenal: 1913
Everton: 1951
Liverpool: 1954
Manchester United: 1974
Aston Villa: 1987
Chelsea: 1988

That's another reason to hope Real Madrid don't win the Champions League  :D

I was just going to post some other stuff:

El-Hadji Diouf does nothing to win new friends: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/04/19/rangers-star-el-hadji-diouf-i-admire-colonel-gaddafi-86908-23071411/

This is the same man who spouted his disgraceful comments in the face of an opponent with a broken leg, just a few months ago. How come no one has done him in properly, a long time ago? Wife-beating, throwing racial slurs at ball-boys, spitting at opposition fans.

I agree with Neil Warnock. Calling Diouf a sewer rat would be an insult to sewer rats.

It's a bit ironic, though, since Ramos' most recent trophy was one that he shared with several Barcelona players ... (I'm sure the comment was from a Barcelona fan?)

I'm delighted after seeing Bolton beat Arsenal. If anyone thought Arsenal were still the main threat to United's title ambitions after the mid-week, there can be no question now: Chelsea are more dangerous. The easy part of their run-in is over, though - the last four matches are as follows:

Tottenham (H), Man Utd (B), Newcastle (H), Everton (B).

Man Utd have the following four:

Arsenal (B), Chelsea (H), Blackburn (B), Blackpool (H). One point at Arsenal, beat Chelsea, and the title is back. But first, we are in for the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals. They could be fascinating ...

Arsenal don't only need to shoot. They also need to learn to defend on corners against. Both Bolton's goals came from corners - and Arsenal actually had many more of that kind ... I really hope the title is secured against Chelsea at home.

NightProwler666 said:
Btw. TORRES SCORED :o

Only because the ball got stuck in a puddle. :D

Albie said:
All I care for is that Arsenal don't win anything - which is extremely likely. No-one will ever win the league on 76 points. This tweet sums 'em up: Just shoot. A goal isnt worth any more with 10 passes before it.

That's the difference between Arsenal and Barcelona: great pssing, but with Barcelona it's all a build-up to a decisive killer through-ball, which Arsenal seem to lack; and half the time they won't shoot even when through on goal. The other main difference between those two teams is mental toughness too.

Plus, the average quality of the Barcelona players is simply higher than Arsenal's.

By the way, Arsenal did actually shoot more than usual yesterday, and they had a few good chances from shots as well.

@NA: Promotion champagne on ice yet?

Well, if they lose both remaining games by four, and Cardiff win theirs by three (and Norwich also win both, of course), it's playoffs for QPR ... (and plenty of eating of hats)

Albie said:
QPR will need an extremely unfortunate (and unlikely) set of results to go against them to avoid promotion. I think Jonathan Stevenson got a bit excited on the Beebs website:

1656: QPR ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE

1657: Goalflash Norwich 3-2 Derby (Jackson hat-trick)

16:57! Where'd they get all that added time from? Still, it was QPR's own fault, they should have been 3 or 4 up by the time the equaliser went in.

Seriously, the fat lady's been warming up her vocal chords for so long now, and is on about her 4th cup of green tea: let's get it finished at Watford with a win! (Also avenging our only home defeat of the season)

And I fancy Norwich to join QPR. Cardiff will just miss out and fail in the play-offs at the expense of Swansea (though I would prefer Nottingham Forest to go up from the potential play-off contenders).

How on Earth could this Schalke team batter Inter? Judging by their performance against United yesterday, even their current 10th place in the Bundesliga seems flattering. United were good, but the only Schalke player who can be proud of himself today is Manuel Neuer. If he had been replaced by an average goalkeeper, it would have been 0-4. At half time.

Back