Official Football Thread

LooseCannon said:
Is there a reason why there's no bigger drive in football to use video replay/video evidence? It seems to crop up often enough as a discussion.
Yes, you could go down the road of corruption and/or conservative farts in FIFA/IFAB and such, but their argument is simple enough - the game should be refereed the same way and with the same technology whether it be in a village green or a World Cup final. I can see their reasoning, but in the today's world it no longer seems right.

national acrobat said:
It's obvious that video technology should be used to some extent. Instead, they just add a couple of goons behind the goals holding magic wands, who look away the instant a decision might have to be made.
What do these "goons" do? I've not seen them consult the ref on anything. The idea is good, but unless they have the same sort of clout as a linesman, it's totally pointless.

The FA had better not go to a scratch football match between a couple groups of teens. They'll die of shock.

Wow, that certainly is harsh. The only reason I can see for it is to make an example of Rooney, as this Respect campaign has had a lot of coverage over the past couple of weeks.

Albie said:
What do these "goons" do? I've not seen them consult the ref on anything. The idea is good, but unless they have the same sort of clout as a linesman, it's totally pointless.
Exactly. I can't remember seeing one of them ever make a decision, but I can point to one occasion that comes to mind (in the Ragners - Man U match I think) where there was a stone-wall penalty which the 5th/6th/73rd official ignored right in front of him.

Eddies Wingman said:
If the same rules should apply to the team I played for as a teenager, half the team would've been banned. For life, that is.
It does filter down to an extent. My ex-manager was sent off 8 times in one incident, and he was only the linesman. :D

national acrobat said:
Wow, that certainly is harsh. The only reason I can see for it is to make an example of Rooney, as this Respect campaign has had a lot of coverage over the past couple of weeks.

But isn't this "Respect" campaign about respecting the referee and the opposition? I didn't think it was about not allowing people to let off some steam, not directed at any one individual? It's not just harsh, it's unprecedented. The FA are making a joke of themselves. I thought the Norwegian FA were being idiots for fining a club when their fans sang "Go home, like in 45" to a team managed by Uwe Rösler.

I think this reeks of compensation. The FA feel bad about not being able to punish Rooney for the elbow against Wigan (which, obviously, should have been a red card and a two-three match ban) - now he has given them something, and then it doesn't matter that the only remotely similar incident was when Didier Drogba lambasted (and nearly assaulted) the ref after the 2009 CL semi-final.

I perfectly agree with this: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-rooneys-response-was-perfectly-understandable-ndash-the-wits-in-the-stand-cannot-have-it-both-ways-2261452.html

By the way, it looks good for QPR now!

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, it looks good for QPR now!

Bring on the points deduction, we'll still win the league!

Eddies Wingman said:
But isn't this "Respect" campaign about respecting the referee and the opposition? I didn't think it was about not allowing people to let off some steam, not directed at any one individual? It's not just harsh, it's unprecedented. The FA are making a joke of themselves. I thought the Norwegian FA were being idiots for fining a club when their fans sang "Go home, like in 45" to a team managed by Uwe Rösler.

I think this reeks of compensation. The FA feel bad about not being able to punish Rooney for the elbow against Wigan (which, obviously, should have been a red card and a two-three match ban) - now he has given them something, and then it doesn't matter that the only remotely similar incident was when Didier Drogba lambasted (and nearly assaulted) the ref after the 2009 CL semi-final.

I perfectly agree with this: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-rooneys-response-was-perfectly-understandable-ndash-the-wits-in-the-stand-cannot-have-it-both-ways-2261452.html

It probably does have something to do with that elbow incident, you're right. Whatever the rules/decisions/punishments may be, I think fans just want to see continuity from the officials and governing bodies. As for being unprecedented, Steven Carr was banned for a match last season for swearing (with a hand) at the crowd, but there's no consistency in anything the FA does.

Now, I'd say weaving the "wanker" sign directly at the opposition fans in a heated derby game is a bit worse than cursing at no particular people. It's more comparable with Gary Neville kissing his badge in front of the Kop, except it is more insulting. And Gary and the Kopites thrive on the mutual hatred anyway  :D

But I agree, the main problem isn't that they punish Rooney for this. The main problem is there is no consistency what so ever, and that a witch hunt led by media is likely to lead the FA to take action.

Eddies Wingman said:
Two match ban???
If I was Rooney or Ferguson I would accept it not appeal against it as he has stated he will. Losing an appeal will give him a three match band but keeping the two match band he misses only one league match - yes, he will miss the FA semi, but the league and CL has to be top priority.

Shadow said:
Well, this didn't play out as predicted.
Good of you to bring up your prediction, we'd have been none the wiser. :D

But an incredible result there, I guess Benitez's effect is still being felt long after his sacking. ;)

And in the other tie tonight, it's surely all over there too, Spurs have no chance to come back from 4 down. I imagine the main concern for Spuds fans is that too much emphasis was put on the Champions League, which they only ever had a very slight chance of winning, at the detriment of qualifying for it again next season in the league. Then again, what's the point of being in a competition unless you try to win it?

It's hard to know what Spurs could have done with 11 men, but they were in for a rough ride anyway with Adebayor's early goal. Had they managed to keep it down to 2-0, they might still have a chance, but now -  both these ties are over already. Congratulations to RM and Schalke on reaching the semis. It will be as far as they get. Barcelona (provided they beat the Ukrainians) are a better team than their rivals, and I can't see Schalke beating neither United nor Chelsea. I hope for a chance for revenge for the 2009 final.

Chelsea - Manchester United tonight. I think neither team will take big risks tonight. They know just how even they are, and they don't want to destroy their own chances with a bad result tonight. Two goals, maximum, I'll gladly take 1-1 (I won't be too happy with 0-0, though)

Albie said:
If I was Rooney or Ferguson I would accept it not appeal against it as he has stated he will. Losing an appeal will give him a three match band but keeping the two match band he misses only one league match - yes, he will miss the FA semi, but the league and CL has to be top priority.

The appeal has already been handed in. There is a risk that they will increase the ban, but that would shatter what is left of their credibility. It seems everyone (except for the morons in the Daily Mirror and the like, of course) agree that two matches is a very harsh punishment, and so Rooney and United have every reason to think the punishment should be decreased. It can hardly be called "frivolous appeal" this time. Don't the FA have the opportunity to just keep the original punishment as well (practically dismissing the appeal)? Must it be either a reduction or an increase?

national acrobat said:
And in the other tie tonight, it's surely all over there too, Spurs have no chance to come back from 4 down.
It would not surprise me if the game at White Hart Lane ended 4-3 to Spurs.

Just wished my brother-in-law good luck tonight (Chelsea fan) - 2-1 he reckons. Can't call the result tonight, but I'm going for a draw.

Albie said:
It would not surprise me if the game at White Hart Lane ended 4-3 to Spurs.

A certain return leg at Old Trafford in mind? Where a certain Ronaldo (yes, the fat one) scored a hat trick and went off to standing ovations from the entire crowd?

Albie said:
Just wished my brother-in-law good luck tonight (Chelsea fan) - 2-1 he reckons. Can't call the result tonight, but I'm going for a draw.

Shame on you for wishing a Chelsea fan good luck  :devil2:

Eddies Wingman said:
A certain return leg at Old Trafford in mind? Where a certain Ronaldo (yes, the fat one) scored a hat trick and went off to standing ovations from the entire crowd?
Just like that match. What was it, 2003?

Eddies Wingman said:
Shame on you for wishing a Chelsea fan good luck  :devil2:
He is family - and he's converted my sister, nephew, etc to Chelsea! :D

Eddies Wingman said:

Bonus point if you can name the last player before Ronaldo to score a hat-trick at Old Trafford for the away team.

Man U takes the lead!

Superb opening goal! Great preparation by Giggs and Rooney did excellent with that well placed shot. Not hard, just an excellent touch and choice of angle.
Van der Sar (age: 40!) once again shows how it needs to be done.

Magnificent! Cool slow motion.

Quite a decent game actually, although Chelsea weren't very good. But let's be honest, that was a certain penalty at the end that they were denied. Maybe the ref would have been more sympathetic if Torres and Dogbreath hadn't spent half the match collapsing to the ground like the proverbial sack of spuds.

Back