Official Football Thread

I believe it is. I seem to recall that that is reserved for Africa/South America. Europe will have 2030.

Eddies Wingman said:
Looking through pictures of the stadia they plan to build in Qatar for 2022. The word "megalomania" strikes me ... One of the stadia will be used by the university team of Qatar University after the World Cup. It has a 45.000 capacity ...

So disappointing...

The fact that they will build these monster stadiums and after the World Cup they'll become useless. Such a loss! Very sad. A lot of things are sad here, such a waste... And the Indians that they'll built the stadiums in 50 deg. C they'll be paid 200 Euro per month. Fucking world.

I've read that they plan on shipping parts of the stadia to other places in the world (developing countries) - as if parts of a football stadium is what those need. And your point about the underpaid workers who will build this in immense heat is one good reason why the World Cup should've been given to someone else.

Unless most of the infrastructure is already in place, I wonder if the positives of hosting major sporting events really outweigh the negatives. The (summer) Olympics are probably the best example; the host city has to make room and build stadiums for all sorts of esoteric events, spending astronomical sums and ending up with lots of underused real estate that nevertheless has to be maintained. For a lot of countries, the same goes for the World Cup.

Russia is alright, but Qatar? Why not give it to England, who could host it today as far as stadiums are concerned?

Shadow said:
Russia is alright, but Qatar? Why not give it to England, who could host it today as far as stadiums are concerned?
Russia is yet to even build 13 of their nominated stadiums. It was seen as a "virtual" world cup as FIFA could only get artistic impressions and blue-prints of what stadiums would be staging most of the games. That said, there is not going to be any issue with finance as they have the money. Good luck to them, a world cup in Russia will not in any way have teams playing in >30c heat. Unlike Qatar....

Still, the voting breakdown for 2018:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority).

Prepare to raise an eyebrow at that! ;)

They never had any intention of awarding England the competition, even though they scored highest on the points assessment. If they'd been upfront two years ago, as it's clear suitability for holding the competition isn't a criterion - with it going to South Africa/Russia/Qatar, we could have saved the £15/20 million it cost to finance England's bid.

This is all a new trend; the next Winter Olympics are going to Jamaica, due to their legacy in the bobsleigh run.

Albie said:
Russia is yet to even build 13 of their nominated stadiums. It was seen as a "virtual" world cup as FIFA could only get artistic impressions and blue-prints of what stadiums would be staging most of the games. That said, there is not going to be any issue with finance as they have the money. Good luck to them, a world cup in Russia will not in any way have teams playing in >30c heat. Unlike Qatar....

Qatar gets to over 50c in June, plus the humidity. But no problem, they're going to build air-conditioned stadiums.  :huh:

I'm curious to see what will happen with alcohol. They will allow to people drinking during the matches and for which price? In Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi, in order to can drink you need to buy expensive tickets. I'm not wondering about the fans if they'll be allowed to drink on the streets. They will not stand stay outside, let alone drink.

national acrobat said:
Qatar gets to over 50c in June, plus the humidity. But no problem, they're going to build air-conditioned stadiums.  :huh:

I realize the world is generally sick of America, but the U.S. really would have been perfect to host the World Cup.  Have fun in Qatar, if fun is legal there.   

Forostar said:
I read it's allowed to drink a beer in these super stadiums.

They are going to set up so-called "fan-zones". Enclosed areas where one can serve alcohol and other haram stuff. Let's also hope they'll allow all the pretty Latino babes to wear what they usually wear during World Cups, and that they don't force them to cover themselves up like this:

abaya.jpg

cornfedhick said:
but the U.S. really would have been perfect to host the World Cup.  

Nope. Weather is nice, people are friendly and the 1994 experience was awesome. Timezones (TV broadcasting worldwide) is the real issue and here Qatar wins (was one of the main arguments for its bid apart from the A/C  :bigsmile:)

cornfedhick said:
Have fun in Qatar, if fun is legal there.    

It's not. They gonna hear those sirens soon.  :D Couldn't say it better, have a praize!

Eddies Wingman said:
They are going to set up so-called "fan-zones". Enclosed areas where one can serve alcohol and other haram stuff.

Yeah, this is what I suppose too. It's a shame...
My Chinese friend told me that Qatar isn't the half morally corrupted as Dubai is. Let's hope they'll make some progress in the years to come!

Eddies Wingman said:
They are going to set up so-called "fan-zones". Enclosed areas where one can serve alcohol and other haram stuff. Let's also hope they'll allow all the pretty Latino babes to wear what they usually wear during World Cups, and that they don't force them to cover themselves up like this:

abaya.jpg

I can imagine the sight now!  Sexy babes in burqas! ::)

In the Turkish league, Trabzonspor, Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe and Beşiktaş won. Beşiktaş defeated Bursaspor. Here's the points table.

1. Trabzonspor : 36
2. Bursaspor : 31
3. Fenerbahçe : 30
4. Kayserispor : 28 (will play tomorrow)
5. Beşiktaş : 27
6. İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor : 23
7. Antalyaspor : 22
8. Karabükspor : 21
9. Galatasaray : 20
10. Gaziantepspor : 20

P.S. : We have 18 teams in the league.

My team, Galatasaray, having their worst season of their history. The team that we defeated this week is Kasımpaşa and they're on the last place. We just send Elano to Santos F.C for 3 million euros.

cornfedhick said:
I realize the world is generally sick of America, but the U.S. really would have been perfect to host the World Cup.  Have fun in Qatar, if fun is legal there.   

I'm glad the U.S didn't get it. With travel security the way it is it would have been a real pain in the ass... and that is only ONE issue.

i guess no one has heard, but Qatar is building COVERED AIR CONDITIONED stadiums... They have plenty of oil money to doll out so what's the problem?

Seriously? why are people complaining that the WORLD cup is going around the world to places it has never been hosted in before?

Back