Official Football Thread

If Man U do not win the league, it will be the first time ever that they have not won the Premiership whilst spending time at the top of the table in April. If they do win, it will be the first time that any team has won the league (with 38 clubs) after loosing 7 or more.

Pointless trivia to brighten up an otherwise dull Monday. :D

I love pointless football trivia. Thanks for cheering me up  :innocent:

Besides, the weather is really nice, it seems like spring finally came to Trondheim this weekend.

Some other pointless trivia:

I am amazed by this following statistic and I'm trying to find out if this is unique or not:

RKC Waalwijk is currently at the bottom of the Dutch league.

They played 31 out of 34 matches,

won 5 times
lost 26 times
and (here it comes) drew 0 times!!

There's a possibility that a club will play a whole season without a single draw!  

I guess that good clubs can have a season without any loss, and crappy clubs can have a season without a single win, but NO DRAW??? Sounds crazy.

I know this is pointless trivia, but if you guys know other examples (I didn't look it up myself yet), please post.

@Albie I enjoyed the video with the recordings of the English bench. Great really. Is that whole qualification on YouTube? I need to find the match vs Holland at Wembley, which was the most thrilling (in a scary way) match I have seen in my life.

Eddies Wingman said:
I didn't have the impression you cared so much about football you actually let yourself be depressed by it? I must have missed something.

I'm glad you said this, because when I read such words as having come from Perun's fingertips, I actually wondered if it was an old post from April 1.

Eddies Wingman said:
I didn't have the impression you cared so much about football you actually let yourself be depressed by it? I must have missed something.

Call it localism. Hertha is part of my hometown, so I care what happens to them.

Forostar said:
@Albie I enjoyed the video with the recordings of the English bench. Great really. Is that whole qualification on YouTube? I need to find the match vs Holland at Wembley, which was the most thrilling (in a scary way) match I have seen in my life.
I'm not sure about that match - this documentary did not really show too much of the football. And yes, that Holland match at Wembley was quite thrilling. A friend of mine went to that match and travelled all the way down from Yorkshire to see it (3 hours in a car). Just as he sat down, Barnes scored the opening goal. A match we (England) should have won - 2-0 up at home and we ended up drawing. This match (and the campaign in general) will live long in my memory for being the start of the major loss of form of Des Walker. He was at fault in that match for tugging on Overmars shirt to give the Dutch a penalty to equalise, he was also at fault for the Norwegians first goal by arguing with the ref instead of defending the quick free kick ("went to f'ing sleep", so said Graham Taylor in that documentary). This was a real shame as Des Walker was easily one of England's best players in Italia 90.

Forostar said:
Some other pointless trivia:

I am amazed by this following statistic and I'm trying to find out if this is unique or not:

RKC Waalwijk is currently at the bottom of the Dutch league.

They played 31 out of 34 matches,

won 5 times
lost 26 times
and (here it comes) drew 0 times!!

There's a possibility that a club will play a whole season without a single draw!  

I guess that good clubs can have a season without any loss, and crappy clubs can have a season without a single win, but NO DRAW??? Sounds crazy.

I know this is pointless trivia, but if you guys know other examples (I didn't look it up myself yet), please post.

It isn't. I checked every Dutch Championships since 1954 and Ajax achieved this great record (1972\73 season): 30 victories 0 draws 4 defeats 102-18

By the way, is the only time a single club didn't draw any match since 1954 until this season.

So in other words, if RKC will make a draw, Ajax's 1972/73 season is the unique one (at least in Holland).

Thanks!  :ok:

Albie said:
I'm not sure about that match - this documentary did not really show too much of the football. And yes, that Holland match at Wembley was quite thrilling. A friend of mine went to that match and travelled all the way down from Yorkshire to see it (3 hours in a car). Just as he sat down, Barnes scored the opening goal. A match we (England) should have won - 2-0 up at home and we ended up drawing. This match (and the campaign in general) will live long in my memory for being the start of the major loss of form of Des Walker. He was at fault in that match for tugging on Overmars shirt to give the Dutch a penalty to equalise, he was also at fault for the Norwegians first goal by arguing with the ref instead of defending the quick free kick ("went to f'ing sleep", so said Graham Taylor in that documentary). This was a real shame as Des Walker was easily one of England's best players in Italia 90.

The calmth of Van Vossen (the penalty) was really admirable. The way he walked towards the ball I will always remember because he wasn't exactly the most experienced guy in the team, but he was one of the most motivated ones who ever wore the orange. And the Wouters elbow vs Gasgogne was quite a moment too. If it weren't for that equalizing penalty we would not have gone to the 1994 World Cup, so you can imagine how I experienced that whole match.

I'll try to find "bench-footage" from that match

The very best football songs are the ones that can be sung on the terraces. And that ranks as one of the best. Love it. :D

Do you put the kettle on?!

I was wondering about this recently...do any countries outside of the UK do football songs (i.e. pop songs, not terrace chants)? There used to be all the FA Cup and World Cup songs done by the teams themselves, but since then there have still been some fantastic fan/band songs, especially Vindaloo and the immortal 3 Lions.

Three Lions '98 - that clip of "Oh it's saved" still twists my stomach. I can remember watching that at home with a cushion in front of my face and then falling to the floor in agony.
P.S. Germans should fast-forward to 2:40 in that video. :bigsmile:

national acrobat said:
Three Lions '98 - that clip of "Oh it's saved" still twists my stomach. I can remember watching that at home with a cushion in front of my face and then falling to the floor in agony.
P.S. Germans should fast-forward to 2:40 in that video. :bigsmile:

"This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country." :(

F'cking Gestapo again.

national acrobat said:
Oh the range of emotions I went through watching that match. No doubt I will have more of the same come this summer.

paulscholes_468x551.jpg

'nuff said.

Scholes was there for Man Utd.
And what a way to celebrate it...

960x.jpg

Looks like the media found something fresh to discuss about.  :P

I'll give Gaz that much slack. There were probably no players on that pitch today to whom this derby meant more.

By the way, well done Spurs! Now they've beaten both Arsenal and Chelsea in just four days. Impressive!

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, well done Spurs! Now they've beaten both Arsenal and Chelsea in just four days. Impressive!
Could Man U be the third in ten, or so, days?

Back