1. Manchest.Utd 31 22  3  6  69  72-25
  2. Chelsea        31 21  5  5  68  75-28
  3. Arsenal          31 21  4  6  67  73-33

Forostar said:
It is going to be exciting in the Premier League! Look how close:

1. Manchest.Utd 31 22  3  6  69  72-25
  2. Chelsea         31 21  5  5  68  75-28
  3. Arsenal          31 21  4  6  67  73-33

I'm saving up my fingernails for the last month of the season ... tough games for all three on Saturday. Chelsea are visited by Aston Villa, who've caused them trouble earlier this season. United travel to Bolton, and Arsenal visit Birmingham. Then, in just over a week, Chelsea are coming to Manchester ... Arsene Wenger will surely hope for a draw there.

The fight for the last Champions League slot will also be a thriller:

Tottenham  30  16  7  7  55 - 29  55
Manchester City 30 14 11 5 55 - 39 53
Liverpool 31 15 6 10 50 - 32 51
Aston Villa 30 13 12 5 42 - 25 51

If Spurs, City and Villa all win their game in hand, it sure does not look good for Liverpool. Besides, their rivals across the park are only three points behind them. Since I've always had a soft spot for Tottenham, I hope they can hold on to 4th. They were close in 2006, but some dubious cooking the evening before led to defeat against West Ham - and Arsenal snatched 4th.

This result made me happy:

Southend 3-0 Walsall. Their first win of 2010.

But how about this one:

St Mirren 4-0 Celtic. If my Granddad were alive, he would be an extremely happy man by that result. :D

Both teams should now build on these results and avoid relegation.

As for the Premier League, it will not be Arsenal - for them to win it, both Man U and Chelsea need to slip up. One may, but both won't.

Well, first of all; congrats on the Southend win! I was astonished by the St. Mirren win, Celtic don't lose frequently at all, and 4-0 to a side threatened by relegation? Didn't see that coming.

As for the Premier League: All it takes for Arsenal is a draw at Old Trafford - then they can be past Chelsea and equal with United with five games to go. Arsenal's advantage is they have a somewhat easier run-in. Their disadvantage, of course, is that their squad doesn't have the depth that the two other clubs have. However, they have coped admirably so far. And the slip-ups needed by United and Chelsea aren't that big. Top clubs have lost more than a couple of points in the run-in before ... I think this won't be decided until the last day of the season.

Eddies Wingman said:
Arsenal's advantage is they have a somewhat easier run-in.
I've heard a lot of people say that Arsenal's run-in is easier, but I don't agree. When you look at the fixtures they and Man U have, you will find a lot of similarities:

Both play Man City, Blackburn and Spurs.
Man U have Sunderland and Stoke and Arsenal have their equivalent in Wigan and Fulham.

Next up, Man U have Bolton away and Arsenal have B'ham away. Neither is easier than the other (though I would probably rate the trip to B'ham harder). Fair do's, when Arsenal take on Wolves (not a guaranteed 3 points) Man U have Chelsea - but that is at home and I fancy them to win that.

And then when you look at what Chelsea have, it's pretty much the same. Tricky fixtures in Liverpool, Villa and Spurs. Mid-table opposition in Wigan, Stoke and Bolton (though Wigan and Bolton could get sucked in to a relegation dog-fight and may cause the odd upset - remember, Arsenal go to Wigan towards the end of the season). And off course, that trip to Old Trafford.

I really don't think we can categorically say who has the easier run-in. :)

Well, Arsenal sure made it more difficult for themselves now. A real blooper by Almunia in a match Arsenal should have killed off earlier - after they got their goal they dominated.

I'm quite pleased with the second half by United against Bolton. The first half was a stalemate, until Bolton decided to open a goal account - for United.

However, the most remarkable result was the one at Stamford Bridge. At 2-1 I thought Villa had a good chance to fight back, and then they come out and lose the 2nd half 5-0? What a dreadful performance.

Now it's not just in England the run-in for the title will be a thriller. Look at the following:

Spain:

1 Real Madrid 29 24 2 3 81-26    74
2 Barcelona 29 23 5 1 71-18 74

Italy:

1 Inter 31 18 9 4 58-28 63
2 Roma  31 18 8 5 56-35 62
3 Milan 31 17 9 5 49-29 60

France:

1 Bordeaux   28 17 5 6 46-23 56
2 Montpellier 30 17 5 8 41-34   56
3 Auxerre     29 16 7 6  30-24   55
4 Lille OSC 30 16 6 8 56-32   54
5 Lyon       30 15 9   6 49-31 54
6 Marseille 28 15 8 5 50-30 53

Especially the last one is insane. Six teams within three points!

Forostar said:
Hoow yeah!

Awww yeah.

Interesting. What kind of football related event has led to this reaction? Anything you'd like to share with us?

I mean, considering you don't come from München or Lyon, I can't see what should trigger such joy today?

Yesterday a certain club with two Dutch players (though one didn't play), a Dutch coach, a Dutch match analyst, a Dutch training coordinator, and a Dutch assistant coach won from a very mighty opponent.

Extra satisfactory is that I'd expected something like this was likely to happen.

Plus: I wanted to break the deafening silence.

I take it these Dutch guys are at Bayern?

Despite the Man U defeat, I stand by my predictions of a Man U, Barca, Lyon & Inter semis. And a Man U/Inter final. This is fate.

I'd like to agree with Albie about a Man Utd - Inter final but I rather think it could be a repeat of last year. Arsenal really needed to win at home to have much chance of progressing and the loss of Fabregas is huge, he is such an ifluential talented player.

I think (hope) United will be too strong at home for Bayern. I would have settled for 2-1 from the first leg with the away goal. And although United were a little subdued after their goal i didnt see a hell of a lot from Bayern (who were the home side and thus expected to have the lions share of possession) to worry me for the home leg. Old Trafford can have a ferocious atmosphere, especially in midweek European night games and I expect united to win 2-0 on the night to go through 3-2 on aggregate.

On the injury front Rooney should be back for the Man City game at Eastlands on April 17th. It wouldnt completely surprise me to see him back earlier. Owen Hargreaves is set to be on the bench on for Saturday's visit of Chelsea. I hope the OT faithful give him a rousing reception if he comes on. The guy must have been through hell and back the last 19 months or so and probably questioned whether he would play again. He was sorely missed against Barcelona last year and if he reaches fitness he will be a real asset in the title run in, it will be like having signed a new player. it also gives Fergie the option to rest Darren Fletcher ahead of the European games. And who knows if Hargreaves can play in the run in then Capello, who is a big fan, may feel he is worth the risk for South Africa because of his versatility and tackling ability.

Tomorro can't come quick enough. I'll be back on here after the game, hopefully with good news.

Back in the Village said:
Owen Hargreaves is set to be on the bench on for Saturday's visit of Chelsea. I hope the OT faithful give him a rousing reception if he comes on. The guy must have been through hell and back the last 19 months or so and probably questioned whether he would play again. He was sorely missed against Barcelona last year and if he reaches fitness he will be a real asset in the title run in,

If that's correct, that is great news. I'm sure he will get a heartfelt welcome, he has been missed.

I was also relieved when I heard Rooney will be fit for the City game and the rest of the season. But can the Bulgarian fill his place today against Locomotiv Chelskoya? He is a very "on-and-off" player. When he has an "on" day he's brilliant. If not, it's like playing with 10 men.

Eddies Wingman said:
But can the Bulgarian fill his place today against Locomotiv Chelskoya? He is a very "on-and-off" player. When he has an "on" day he's brilliant. If not, it's like playing with 10 men.

Simple answer: no

Very depressed Man Utd fan after the game. The first half in particular was hard to watch with Chelsea dominating and taking a very deserved lead. second half we played better but it is clear to see that an ageing Scholes can no longer be the influential playmaker he used to be and Giggs is also past his best. Ji Sung Park has great energy but "headless chicken" springs to mind.

United had no imagination, no creativity and no spark. Ok so Drogba was a mile offside for the second but I cannot say they didnt deserve to win because they did.

My only hope is that United can somehow overcome Bayern on Wednesday and get to the semi's. However having watched the Barcelona masterclass last week I cant see anyone stopping them retaining the CL trophy.

Well, a few stellas, something loud on the Ipod, maybe Powerslave, and my mood might change.......

Yesterday a certain club with three English players (though all played), an English Assistant coach, an English First Team Fitness Coach, an English Club Doctor, and an English Assistant First Team Coach won from a very mighty opponent.

Extra satisfactory is that I'd expected something like this was likely to happen.

Plus: I wanted to break the deafening silence.

[/joke] :D

Seriously, Chelsea have the upper hand - but the league is not theirs yet.

My ideal scenario for the end of this season? Man U or Chelsea win the league, Man U win the Champions League as Rooneys form is kept intact even after his injury, Arsenal struggle to finish third, Spurs finish 4th and Villa 5th. And as Liverpool end up 7th, Gerrard vows to make things right in June in South Africa.

What's with the Leo these days?

The commentator was constantly saying Leo as well, out of nothing. Lionel is his name. 

Great game, but they'll have more trouble vs Inter.

It's his nickname.

I agree that they'll have more trouble, but enough trouble? Hmm...they're simply the best right now. Inter had no plan and no way of winning either of those two group matches. However, this time, pressure is on, two new games, two great teams, who knows?

And the fact is...only few coaches out there have enough balls to play their own game against Barcelona. They usually (even the best ones, like Mourinho and Ferguson) adapt their tactics. Ball is round, they may lose the Champions League, they may lose the Primera, but the fact is, when someone plays against Barcelona, they don't play to score, they play to stop them.

That's why they're best  :D

I wish I'd seen that match, seeing Arsenal put in their place.

Albie said:
My ideal scenario for the end of this season? Man U or Chelsea win the league, Man U win the Champions League as Rooneys form is kept intact even after his injury, Arsenal struggle to finish third, Spurs finish 4th and Villa 5th. And as Liverpool end up 7th, Gerrard vows to make things right in June in South Africa.
My ideal scenario is Chelsea don't win the league (but I don't care all that much), Barca win the Champions League again (but again I'm not all that bothered), Villa finish 4th (or 5th wouldn't be too bad) and Rooney ends the season fit and in as good form as he has been in. [I also wouldn't mind QPR not being relegated from the Championship (sic)]

As a certain Scotsman once said, it's squeaky bum time. April and May are the months that finally decide which fans will celebrate and which will drink to forget the season ASAP.

Speaking from a Man United fan's point of view, I must say this is going to be excruciating. The season might end up being the second best season ever under Ferguson - or the League Cup might be all that's achieved, just like 2006.

If there was going to be a time of the season where we would not want to suffer a two-week absence of Wayne Rooney, this was the time. The home game against Chelsea and the second leg against ze Germans, two of the tougher games of the spring, and then what will probably be a tough trip to Ewood Park. What has set United, Chelsea and to a certain extent Arsenal and Liverpool away from the rest of the Premiership is the depth of their squads, but if we limit ourselves to discussing strikers, United's depth isn't that great Rooney is world class, Berbatov is great at times, but Owen is too injury-prone and the young guns aren't ready to perform week in, week out yet.

Chelsea have the upper hand, that's for sure, but United have won both single matches and the league from such situations before and might very well do it again.

As for the Champions League, I think Inter and United are the only two teams in it that can stand up to Barcelona in a single match if both teams have their first XI fit. Still, Bayern were impressive against United last week. If they had produced that kind of performances more regularly I'd include them with United and Inter. Anyway, Barcelona are firm favourites to win it once again.

@National Acrobat: I'd really like to see Villa finish 4th, but I don't see that as very likely now. They've given away too many points for the last month. I think Man City will take it, but I keep my fingers crossed for Spurs as I see it as a duel between those two teams - and I'd much rather see Spurs finish fourth than I would City.

Back