Official Balkan discussion

Re: Radovan Karadzic arrested!

Wasn't that the bad guy from Air Force One?

EDIT: Having read what a douchebag this guy really is, I want to affirm my above statement is a joke, and that I hope the Hague puts this guy in a hole for the rest of his natural life.

The one with the mega-head and the furious haircut.

Ahhh, finally the bastard is caught. More:

BELGRADE (AFP) — Bosnian Serb wartime leader and top war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic has been arrested, the office of Serbian President Boris Tadic said on Monday.

"Radovan Karadzic was located and arrested tonight" by Serbian security officers, said a presidential statement.

"Karadzic was brought to the investigative judge of the War Crimes Court in Belgrade, in accordance with the law on cooperation with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY)," the statement said.

Karadzic and his former military commander Ratko Mladic had been on the run from the ICTY for 13 years after they were charged with war crimes committed during Bosnia's 1992-1995 war. Mladic is still at large.

The pair also face a genocide charge related to the 1995 massacre of around 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica, the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II.

The ICTY charged Karadzic and Mladic with war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity in 1995.

The court's chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz welcomed the arrest.

"I was informed by our colleagues in Belgrade about the successful operation which resulted in the arrest of Radovan Karadzic," the prosecutor said in a statement in The Hague, the seat of the tribunal.

"On behalf of the Office of the Prosecutor, I would like to congratulate the Serbian authorities, especially the National Security Council, Serbia's Action Team in charge of tracking fugitives and the Office of the War Crimes Prosecutor, on achieving this milestone in cooperation with the ICTY."

This guy should be shot.

I don't think the ICC hands out the death penalty...but I know what you mean.

Karadzic 'worked in Serb clinic'

Captured Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic was practising alternative medicine and living in Serbia's capital, Belgrade.

He was working in a private practice using a false identity, sporting a "very convincing disguise", and calling himself Dragan Dabic, officials said.

He was arrested on Monday near Belgrade after more than a decade on the run.

He is indicted by the UN tribunal for war crimes and genocide over the 1995 massacre at Srebrenica.

_44852630_a083f627-e932-4677-beae-3c2f509a5880.jpg

Karadzic lived freely in Belgrade using a false identity and heavily disguised

edit:

By the way, Karadzic will come into a very human prison, which is actually the only place in the world where The Treaty of Dayton is truly respected for 100%. Bosniaks, Croats and Serbs live together in 100% peace. They can freely walk in and out of their cells during the day. They can eat together, play table tennis etc.

Each individual has his or her own toilet and washing area. They have access to a small gym and are offered training with a physical education instructor.

Detainees are provided with meals, but they may also cook for themselves, purchase food from the prison shop, and have ingredients ordered in.

Each detained person has a personal computer in his or her cell, on which they can view material related to their case. They are offered computer training, if required, and language courses.

Detainees are allowed to communicate in private with their defence teams and diplomatic representatives of their countries of origin. They are permitted visits from family members, wives and partners, and spiritual advisors.

200px-Scheveningse_gevangenis_001.jpg

Good. They can chain him in a corner and feed him with dog food so he can see what he doesn't deserve.

I'm 100% sure it's not as pleasant as it sounds. And it sure is a prison if you can't get out.

Invader said:
That's not a prison, that's a fucking hotel.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Anyway, I would have thought the impending loss of his freedom for the rest of his life would sort of taint the relative luxury of his detainment.  If Karadzic is tried and convicted in The Hague, where will he be imprisoned? Back in Serbia?

Raven said:
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Anyway, I would have thought the impending loss of his freedom for the rest of his life would sort of taint the relative luxury of his detainment.  If Karadzic is tried and convicted in The Hague, where will he be imprisoned? Back in Serbia?

I thought not. I guess death will wait for him in The Hague.

Perhaps there are some exceptions. Check here what happened with all indictees of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia along with their ethnic origin, rank or occupation, details of charges against them and the disposition of their cases.

Does The Hague employ death sentences or is that a reference to Milosevic (damnation be on him)? ;)

There were extensive reports on this yesterday in Swedish TV (no doubt as everywhere else). The interesting thing was that they went and asked people on the streets of Sarajevo and then on the streets of Belgrade, what they thought about this news. I found it shocking how while in Sarajevo everyone was happy that he had been caught, and that they hoped justice would prevail, in Belgrade they were questioning whether he was even guilty! Excuse me, I know minimal things about the whole conflict in that region, but even I am aware that this guy is responsible for the siege of Sarajevo and the massacre of Srebrenica (spelling?). As far as I understand he is to be tried for crimes against humanity and ethnic cleansing. Let's hope that the other great perpetrator of crimes in that region Ratko Mladic is arrested soon as it looks like the government in Serbia is eager to comply with the EU.

Edit: The question of the death sentence came up in Swedish Television and it was made clear by experts that the death sentence is not an option as those in The Hague don't have that sentence on their list. The most probable sentence according to so-called experts is a life sentence.

Perun said:
Does The Hague employ death sentences or is that a reference to Milosevic (damnation be on him)? ;)

Sentenced to life (til the death follows). I expect that punishment for this bloke.

Karadzic to conduct own defence

BELGRADE (Reuters) - Radovan Karadzic will conduct his own defence in the Hague tribunal and is convinced he will be cleared of the charges of genocide, relatives and associates of the war crimes suspect said on Wednesday.

....continued

Preposterous. I mean that he is convinced he will be cleared. Absolutely preposterous. The sooner this guy gets locked in a deep dark hole, the better.

Just to play the Devil's Advocate here...this man does have the right to a fair trial, and I think that while we can be quite convinced he was guilty, let's remember that he does have a chance to prove his innocence.

Having said that, let's lock him in a hole and send the key to Jacques Cousteau to hide in the deepest, darkest part of the ocean.

Back