NOW WATCHING

Watched a few movies as of late. First up is Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider reboot, er, I mean, Firewatch: The Movie! Sorry, sorry. Those Who Wish Me Dead, starring Lara Croft, the Punisher and Little Finger! Here, Lara Croft is a firefighter, the Punisher is a COP of all things and Little Finger has gone from a coniving fuck to a hitman. This movie is FUN, with consistent ACTION. And you think my Tomb Raider bit is nothing more than a joke.... you should check out the weapon she uses to defend her self... SPOILER: a climbing ax. I.... I laughed... hard. I could only think: "We've come full circle."

Next up is Rear Window 2021, fuck, I did it again. I mean THE WOMAN in the Window. Nope not the 1940s movie of the same name my mother confused it with. The new Netflix original movie with Amy Adams, Gary Oldman and that one blonde dude I only recognize from that heartwrenching Black Mirror Epsidose. You know the one, yeeeah, that one. This one was actually better than I thought. We follow a grieving, spirialing Amy Adams with cripiling case of Agoraphobia, like Sigourney Weaver in Copycat. She watches a woman get murdered from her window and they all think it's because of her meds or because of NOT taking her meds and suddenly EVERYONE is a suspect. Not bad. I dug it.

Last but not least we have The Warren's Exorcism Adventure! Yup, The Conjuring 3: I was bullied into commiting murder *Checks notes* Sorry, "the devil made me do it." *sigh*. I really enjoyed this film. I thought it was fun, but it wasn't as scary as 1 and 2. Can't tell if it was because James Wan once again only produced the film, but left the directing to someone else or if it's just Conjuring fatigue. I love Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as the Warrens, I love how grounded these movies are, but this one.... Maybe because I saw it at home and not a theater, I don't know, but I can rewatch the first two Conjuring movies, The first three Insidious movies and even Dead Silence and still get that original creepy feeling and scares they provoked in me years ago. Still worth a watch. I wanted to give historical notes on the case it is supposedly based on, but I've been too busy with the end of semester shit, expect a part two, a prequel and a stand alone review on the matter!

I have a question, is anyone here up to date with The Walking Dead? I haven't watched any of the last few seasons and I was wondering if it's even worth it to catch back up.

I have a question, is anyone here up to date with The Walking Dead? I haven't watched any of the last few seasons and I was wondering if it's even worth it to catch back up.

Recently I decided to continue again, though I'm still wallowing in the third season, so I'm not gonna be able to help you.

Recently I decided to continue again, though I'm still wallowing in the third season, so I'm not gonna be able to help you.
Some of the middle seasons are pretty good, but I just lost interest somewhere in the middle of season 9 and haven't quite had the urge to go back to it.

Well, everyone agreed that the second season is excruciating, but I pulled through, hoping it would get better already, but the prison / Andrea as the Governor's fangirl / oh-so-mysterious Michonne etc. drags almost just as bad.
Rick's annoying af, Andrea even more so, the plot get absolutely nowhere. The first three seasons could have been cut into one and you wouldn't miss absolutely anything at all.

And remember, I love, love Mad Men. I don't mind subtlety, slow pacing, things that make you feel like they're slogging only to become absolutely brilliant in hindsight. And I like zombie films - the good ones.

I just hope they won't be discussing "morality" again - man, the creators are definitely not the right people for these discussions (see Dale as the only decent person whatsoever in 2nd season getting shat on). And I hope Rick either changes a lot or dies.

Meanwhile I also started watching Sons of Anarchy - I've seen only about 4 episodes so far, but the creators definitely know better how to make something interesting. Man, you'd think combining soap opera with zombie apocalypse would be the bee's knees, but ...

Meanwhile I also started watching Sons of Anarchy - I've seen only about 4 episodes so far, but the creators definitely know better how to make something interesting.
Now THAT'S a great show. I watched through the whole series a few years back. From what I remember, the quality also dips slightly in the final seasons, but not nearly to the same degree as The Walking Dead.

Now THAT'S a great show. I watched through the whole series a few years back. From what I remember, the quality also dips slightly in the final seasons, but not nearly to the same degree as The Walking Dead.
I think it dipped a lot more than slightly, but the early seasons are good.

Recently watched Bumblebee, aka The Transformers prequel. I really liked it. I went into it as a summer time killer while I had lunch and I ended up enjoying it. I'm even willing to call it the best one in the franchise since the second movie. Was it predictable? Yes, was it a teen movie by the numbers? You bet. BUT, those aren't necessarily bad things. Much like the Conjuring, this movie was nothing new, but it was COMPETENT and sadly that is a pretty high bar for most movies to meet now-a-days. I also enjoyed the self-aware moments, like when the Decepticons want access to our satellites and John Cena says, "Are you out of your freaking minds? They call themselves DECEPTICONS, that doesn't raise any red flags to any of you!?" LOL. Having the movie set in the 80s is definitely the reason why it worked so well, this line let's us know that. Long gone are the days of absolute Good vs. absolute Evil. In TMNT, G.I Joe, Transformers, etc the bad guys KNEW they were bad and that was their sole motivations a la Dr. Evil in Austin Powers. That doesn't work anymore and the main reason GoT was such a big hit. EVERYONE thought they were the good guys and EVERYONE had moments of great evil and great virtue. Or at least commiting great evil in the name of great virtue. So this movie knows exactly what it is and does it well.

So can we agree that Loki was way better than WandaVision and Falcon & Winter Soldier? WandaVision had a rushed finale and F&WS was a bit predictable, whereas Loki was awesome from the beginning till the end.

I don't know that I'd call it better than WandaVision. I really liked WandaVision, even if I liked the first few episodes more than the last two.

Recently watched Bumblebee, aka The Transformers prequel. I really liked it... I'm even willing to call it the best one in the franchise since the second movie.

Are you counting Bay's first Transformers as the second movie (after the '86 one) or am I correct in thinking you enjoyed Revenge of the Fallen?

I also really enjoyed Bumblebee, though I do wish it had a few more bot vs bot action scenes, though the ones we got had some surprisingly brutal moments. I also really appreciated that I could actually see what was going on during said fight scenes, something that always bugged me with Bayformers - watching two lumps of grey metal go at each other with no fucking idea who was who.

On the subject of Michael Bay, I watched The Rock recently. God, what a great film that is, Sean Connery is having a blast and I'm all for it. Shame Michael Biehn didn't get a bigger role, but he totally nailed it. What a way to go out.

And on the subject of Michael Biehn, I watched Alien3 (or Alien cubed) over the weekend. God, what a boring film that was. I liked the idea of going back to a Alien-esque setting (a lone Alien against unarmed humans), but they they completely failed at bringing in any of the suspense or fear factor of that first film and it's a huge step down from the action-packed Aliens. Also, why wouldn't Ripley tell anybody what she was afraid of finding in Newt's body? I assume nobody believed her in Aliens because they were part of the Weyland/Yutani company and were trying to cover up their interest in the alien, but the prison wasn't involved with the company, was it? I dunno, I switched off a bit for most of it. Suppose I should watch Resurrection at some point but I hear that's even worse.

Are you counting Bay's first Transformers as the second movie (after the '86 one) or am I correct in thinking you enjoyed Revenge of the Fallen?

I also really enjoyed Bumblebee, though I do wish it had a few more bot vs bot action scenes, though the ones we got had some surprisingly brutal moments. I also really appreciated that I could actually see what was going on during said fight scenes, something that always bugged me with Bayformers - watching two lumps of grey metal go at each other with no fucking idea who was who.

On the subject of Michael Bay, I watched The Rock recently. God, what a great film that is, Sean Connery is having a blast and I'm all for it. Shame Michael Biehn didn't get a bigger role, but he totally nailed it. What a way to go out.

And on the subject of Michael Biehn, I watched Alien3 (or Alien cubed) over the weekend. God, what a boring film that was. I liked the idea of going back to a Alien-esque setting (a lone Alien against unarmed humans), but they they completely failed at bringing in any of the suspense or fear factor of that first film and it's a huge step down from the action-packed Aliens. Also, why wouldn't Ripley tell anybody what she was afraid of finding in Newt's body? I assume nobody believed her in Aliens because they were part of the Weyland/Yutani company and were trying to cover up their interest in the alien, but the prison wasn't involved with the company, was it? I dunno, I switched off a bit for most of it. Suppose I should watch Resurrection at some point but I hear that's even worse.
I meant the first two live-action Bay-led movies. I find the '86 animated one like I find most cartoons from my childhood, absolute dribble. All of it. TMNT, Voltron, Thundercats, Silverhawks, G.I Joe, etc. They had great theme songs, great "transformation" sequences (He-Man, Voltron), and one or two good recycled action animations, but that's it. None of them aged well.

I like the second live action movie almost exclusively due to the openning fight between in the woods, but the rest is holds up alright. 3 on they just went off the rails.

As for Bay.... I like many of his 90s movies. The Rock is amazing, absolutely love it. Bad Boys was fun. To be honest, that period, early to mid 90s had a bunch of great mindless action movies. Con-Air, Independence Day, Jurrasic Park, Twister, Dante's Peak, etc. Along with some great Dramas like Sleepers, Sci-fi with 12 Monkeys and suspensful thrillers like The Game.

Back