NOW WATCHING

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
We have a thread devoted to music and one devoted to books, well, why not have one devoted to movies? I've recently seen The Exorcist the Beginning, Alien vs. Predator and Collateral.

The Exorcist prequal was actually a disappointment relying on modern scare tactics, predictable situations and 80's slasher movies gore to create fear. The story parallels the original movie in its main character. A young father Merin has lost his faith, in the original Father Karras is having doubts about his. The demon of course is the same pagan idol Pazuzu (or something of that effect) and his statue, both the full body and the small head piece, mysteriously appear and disapear. I won't lie, I did jump and nearly crushed my girlfriends hand a couple of times but, it didn't have the atmosphere, suspense, terror and great story the Original exorcist had.

Alien vs. Predator was a surprisingly good movie. Though the storyline was very STARCRAFT with the superior Predators using humans to grow the Aliens to hunt them. Very Protoss harvesting Zerg.... Aside from that good action, good fiction (the storyline explaining how entire ancient civilizations disapeared over night and feeding humans' curiousity about UFO's and Aliens), and the perfect ending setting up a Sequal.
Colateral was another good movie. One of the few new "Smart" hollywood movies. In the late 60's Early to mid 70's Hollywood produced amazingly Smart, futuristic movies that had a STORY. Rollerball, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes to name a few. Roller Ball and POTA were remade into Storyless action-packed pieces of crap in the late 90's. But I, Robot, The Village and Collateral have found the perfect balance between Mindless entertaining action with enough quasiphilosophy to make everybody happy. Collateral is about an assasin who hires a taxi driver to drive him around all night while he kills whoever he needs to kill, while in the mean time debating the meaning of life, the significance of one human life and the uniqueness of the individual... Good stuff. What have you guys seen at the movies? (or rented lately)

I couldn't agree more about the Exorcist prequel. It'll give anyone a few good jolts but doesn't compare to the first or the third movies.

If we're also counting DVDs here, I finally saw Kill Bill 2, and I thought it was great. Much better than Kill Bill 1.

Farheneit 9/11 and The Village are the 2 last movies I've seen.

I like Micheal Moore's work. This one is very different than Bowling for Colombine which had very funny parts. This one, almost none.

The Village is very good, but maybe a little too short. I like long movies : for me, it's like a song : the longer they are, the best they are. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I've seen the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in a theater : almost 11 hours with just a little break between each film : Amazing !!

Last movie seen in DVD was Ben-Hur : nothing to say...

I saw LOTR: The Two Towers yesterday

But only because I don't have Return of The King on DVD

Nice idea OnHell, but its the strangest thing ever that I thought about making a thread just like this one yesterday! [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I saw Childern of the Dune Part 2, which is actually the screening of the Book. Children of the Dune part one was actually Dune Messiah. Pretty weak movie, as cool as the book was. Probably because it was a television movie, with low-budget, but still, weak. Frank Herbert would twist in his grave if he saw it.

The last movies I saw in theaters were Collateral, The Village, and Harold and Kumaar Go to White Castle ( [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). Collateral was a pretty good movie but Onhell already said what it's about and I'm not repeating anything. The Village was okay, but kind of disappointing. Harold and Kumar... wasn't a "good" movie but it was funny and that's good enough for me.

The last movie I've rented was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's basically your typical horror movie with a bunch of people on a road trip who stop in a town with an insane killer. It's not a bad movie, though.

Was it the New Chainsaw Massacre or the 70's one? I haven't seen either one but people tell me the old one is better. Also I don't want to watch the new one until i see the original. Unfortunately since the release of the new one the old version has disapeared from the shelves of rental stores.... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Sep 1 2004, 09:47 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Sep 1 2004, 09:47 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Was it the New Chainsaw Massacre or the 70's one? I haven't seen either one but people tell me the old one is better. Also I don't want to watch the new one until i see the original. Unfortunately since the release of the new one the old version has disapeared from the shelves of rental stores.... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]85373[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Buy it - its better than the new one and well worth it!

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Sep 1 2004, 02:47 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Sep 1 2004, 02:47 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Was it the New Chainsaw Massacre or the 70's one? I haven't seen either one but people tell me the old one is better. Also I don't want to watch the new one until i see the original. Unfortunately since the release of the new one the old version has disapeared from the shelves of rental stores.... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]85373[/snapback]​
[/quote]
It was the old one that I just rented but I've actually seen both now. Something about the original makes me like that one better. Maybe it's simply because it is the original...and leather face looks creepier in it.

I'm currently listening to Battle Royale... And th elast movie I saw in theater was Hero with Jet Lee. The action sequence were good but the story sucked.... It's kind of boring to see the same characters dies three times....

Well, the last movie I saw(yesterday) was "Good Bye Lenin" on DVD. Tonight I intend to see M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village".

[!--QuoteBegin-the_Clairvoyant1337+Sep 2 2004, 05:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(the_Clairvoyant1337 @ Sep 2 2004, 05:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The last movie I saw was Shrek 2.
[snapback]85501[/snapback]​
[/quote]
THAT, was really funny specially Puss in Boots "I hate mondays.."

Last night I saw Shreck 2, it was actually quite funny! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Oh man, I don't remember the last film I saw. 'Abyss' doesn't count because I fell asleep 2/3 into it.

Watching "Patch Adams", starring Robin Williams and some hot blonde chick. For those of you who don't know, it's a highly amusing movie about a man who wants to become the first doctor to use laughter as a viable treatment.

Two movies I just saw for the first time tonight:

[a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/\' target=\'_blank\']Cube[/a]: A very good thriller about 7 persons inexplicably trapped in a maze of cubes. A few scenes of mild gore and an ending that leaves the big questions unanswered (in a good way). Also some good acting from Nicole deBoer (a/k/a Ezri Dax from DS9) and Maurice Dean Wint.

[a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289765/\' target=\'_blank\']Red Dragon[/a]: Overall, this was a disappointment. It did not improve on the original adaptation of the same novel ([a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091474/\' target=\'_blank\']Manhunter[/a]). If you're really interested in more Hannibal Lecter stuff, skip this movie and read the book "[a href=\'http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440206154/qid=1094449248/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-4195245-1992651\' target=\'_blank\']Red Dragon[/a]" by Thomas Harris instead. The biggest disappointment in this movie was Edward Norton, an actor who usually does good work (anyone else seen [a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120586/\' target=\'_blank\']American History X[/a]?) but in this movie he just phoned it in.

SMX, did you know they made a sequel to the Cube? It's called 'Hypercube'. I give it a 70% chance of sucking [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I watched Starship Troopers 2 the other day. It, like so many other low-budget sequels, sucked big time - just as I expected

Back