NOW WATCHING

I haven't watched the Potter films in a long while but I don't remember any of them being particularly cringy.

Is anyone watching the new series of The Walking Dead, and if so, is it worth starting? Need to know if it's worth paying for.

I've only seen little bits of it.

They seem to have jumped ahead again and only a bit of back story is being revealed each week, possibly building up to a big showdown with the Whisperers

Just about to rewatch Terminator 2. I'm planning to see the new Terminator film when it comes out, even if I didn't really rate anything post T2, and vastly prefer the original.

Think I'll wait a few episodes in and see what the general consensus is on TWD before I pay to watch it.

Right now I'm watching...

71XiYs85WdL._SL1024_.jpg

Quite enjoyed the first one. Dumb and campy, but still managed to be pretty creepy in places. Leslie Nielsen is always a bonus, too.

Right now I'm watching...

71XiYs85WdL._SL1024_.jpg

Quite enjoyed the first one. Dumb and campy, but still managed to be pretty creepy in places. Leslie Nielsen is always a bonus, too.

It wasn't good. Dumb and boring, each segment went on too long and just weren't scary. Thinking about it, the only creepy part was the dude molesting a sleeping girl after their friends had been murdered by some sentient goo and just before she was murdered by said goo. Also, no Leslie Nielsen. :(

Giving myself some pre-Halloween jitters with this one. :S

ghostwatch.jpg

If anybody's unfamiliar with this, it's well worth looking into. It was broadcast live on Halloween night in the early nineties, beginning as an unremarkable ghost hunting programme... until things started to take a very unsettling turn.

I was just watching a video on that the other day! Tempted to go and see the real deal soon.

I was just watching a video on that the other day! Tempted to go and see the real deal soon.

Well worth the (ghost)watch. It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, but it's kinda funny how people believed it was real, though it still is pretty spooky. Very cleverly done.

If you're interested in that, I'd also recommend looking into the Inside No. 9 episode "Dead Line", broadcast just before Halloween last year. That had a similar premise, a live show invoking the forces of the supernatural, though it was a little darker than Ghostwatch. I don't know if you'll be able to find the full episode, but this video covers it pretty well. Spoilers, obvs.

If you're interested in that, I'd also recommend looking into the Inside No. 9 episode "Dead Line", broadcast just before Halloween last year. That had a similar premise, a live show invoking the forces of the supernatural, though it was a little darker than Ghostwatch. I don't know if you'll be able to find the full episode, but this video covers it pretty well. Spoilers, obvs.
I completely missed this post. I actually watched the video you posted (but I found it in my YT recommendations instead) and went out and found the full episode. Damn was it good. I’ll see if I can’t watch the Ghostwatch episode sometime too!

Mindhunter season 2.

Great stuff. Kind of stuff that (somewhere in the middle of the season) made me go: "Yeez, this is too much, too real, won't watch it any more" But I did and I'm glad even if the ending of the season is a bit lacklusterish.

I wish there were more detective shows with this Fincher-esque feel...

A friend recommended the Love, Death + Robots episode "Shapeshifters", which revolved around werewolves in the US military. I liked it, so I've started the series from the beginning. I think it's a bit hit or miss, the episodes have some interesting concepts but are sometimes a little too short to fully flesh them out and most are unnecessarily gratuitous with the violence, which doesn't really add anything. Can't fault the animation though, especially the episodes with a more realistic style, I have to keep reminding myself I'm not watching real people, it can be very convincing.

I love the Omen trilogy. Just learned the english translation to the infamous latin chanting throughout the films: "We drink the blood, we eat the flesh, raise the body of Satan,"

Reads like the chorus to a Ghost song!

I've been watching A LOT of crap, mostly youtube. But I have found a couple of things to comment on on Netflix. Because my GF's nephew comes over often we find ourselves watching "kid" stuff. In fact, one of the shows I'll comment on was because my GF purposefully wanted to watch kiddie content. Before commenting on the content itself I have to say I am impressed with Netflix's dubbing work. It is amazing. Because her nephew doesn't speak English (yet), and my GF's fluency is at a 70%, I find myself watching A LOT of stuff dubbed in Spanish. The voice acting is great, the emotions come through the accents, like that of a valley girl or redneck are replicated well and most, though not all, the jokes work.

The first one was the Christmas themed Klaus. What a beautiful movie. It is funny, moving, the artwork is great and the story is a wonderful retelling of the Santa legend. In this version a mailman convinces, and partners with an old woodsman to deliver toys to the children of a town divided into to spiteful clans due to an age old grudge. Highly recommend it.

As much as a surprise as Klaus was it pales to the next one. As my GF was browsing the KIDS Netflix profile I saw a creepy thumbnail of a nightmarish, mechanical Santa. The show is appropriately named Creeped Out. Curious, we both decided to give it a watch. HOLY CRAP, what a great show. It is a mix of The Twighlight Zone and Goosebumps. While the episodes due vary in quality, few dissapoint. We recently watched Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and it sucked nuts. the Goosebumps movie was fun, but it felt so.... watered down compared to the books, it wasn't... scary. These episodes give the title justice and at the very least creep you out. I'm still surprised it is aimed at kids. I'm a grown adult feeling tense, I can imagine my 8 year old self being TERRIFIED at some of these episodes. The references to the Twilight Zone and 80s horror abounds, from Firday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street to Poltergeist and ET or older like invasion of the body snatchers or slightly newer like The Blair Witch Project. Some have "happy" endings, some, bittersweet, some down right horrifying or shocking, yet consistently satisfying. Aliens, multiverses, mysterious powers, ghosts, you name it. We spent most of Saturday watching it and we didn't see the whole season.

For those that like old school horror I recommend it. Since it's for kids there's no gore, but that's what makes it really spooky, it relies on good story, atmosphere and very basic effects. The CGI sucks, flat out lol, but it's part of the charm really.

Back