NOW WATCHING

Genghis Khan said:
I've just learned that George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series is starting its HBO series in early spring.  I think Forostar and Anomica (if he still lurks on this forum) may be interested.  Link.

Aha! I need to keep an eye on that...

I just got back from "The last airbender" AKA avatar.

It sucked big time. I love the series, and the movie butchered it without mercy.
The only thing that was sorta cool were the effects, and the horrible dancing made it seem worthless.

I'm making my way through Season 1 of The X Files, for the first time. Really good so far, no idea why I never got into it before.

Onhell said:
Breaking Bad is an AWESOME show well worth your time. Californication with David Ducuvney (sp?) is equally brilliant.
Hank Moody is my HERO!  Love that show (Californication). The first season was the best.  I am wondering what the 4th season will bring?  Hoping it's better than the 3rd season.

In the process of watching the showtime hit "WEEDS" I am on the 5th season chapter 5.  I know a lot of people who are hesitant to watch this show but give it a chance.  It brings a lot of excitement for me.....don't take that the wrong way, I am just saying....WOW give me more time to watch.  Hahahaha.

char_da_harlot said:
Hank Moody is my HERO!  Love that show (Californication). The first season was the best.  I am wondering what the 4th season will bring?  Hoping it's better than the 3rd season.

Yeah, the third season kinda pushed it around, with Marcy and Charlie, especially.  Hank and his 'fall into an easy job' bit, too.  However, the bit towards the end of the season, with all those girls in his apartment...classic!!

Is anyone a fan of John Carpenter's films? I'm about to watch Vampires. First time I saw it I thought it was just amazing.

Perun said:
So, the other day I watched Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

It has been called the real-life version of This is Spinal Tap and quite obviously, there are some deliberate parallels between the two films... only that in Anvil, everything is real.

The film follows the way of the eponymous, Toronto-based heavy metal band everybody has heard about but nobody has heard from. It starts with statements by people like Lars Ulrich, Slash and Scott Ian describing them as one of their biggest influences, and then cuts away to depictions of the members doing their day jobs while desperately trying to produce their new record. They eventually find a passionate but incompetent tour manager who patches up a European tour with big hopes but devastating results. At the low point, the band plays in a Romanian arena with a capacity of 10,000... with 174 people showing up. The film still ends on a high note with a successful gig in Japan (sound familiar?) and the band being able to produce their new album (though not being able to find a record company for it).

It is a movie about the losers of the music industry, at times hilarious, at other times quite sad, and very poignant, especially during the depictions of the deep friendship between the two band leaders. Anybody interested in heavy metal, or the music industry in general, should see it.

I gotta say, I saw the film, and I totally feel for them, but their music is terrible. I even saw them open for AC/DC at the Patriots football stadium, and I'm pretty sure they're not my cup of tea.

Stan said:
Is anyone a fan of John Carpenter's films? I'm about to watch Vampires. First time I saw it I thought it was just amazing.

What a horrible movie... I still remember the night I watched it. I had a quart of Hagen Daze Baily's Irish Cream. I fell asleep after down in that quart.

I watched The Ruins last night. It's been a while since I read the book, but the way the characters die is different. It boggles the mind when they make stupid changes like that... The ending is a little different too, but overall a surprisingly good rendition of the text. Great job showing them slowly become more desperate and lose it. The make up to show the exhaustion, sunburning and wasting away (even though it's only like a three day span) was really good.

Everything. It wasn't scary or suspenseful, the action was moronic and the Vampires were lame as hell. Any other John Carpenter movie though... I'm game. LOVE Halloween I and II, The Thing was awesome. The Escape movies with Kurt Russel were also pretty damn cool.
I have been watching A LOT of TV, because honestly I have nothing better to do. Aside from getting my fix of iCarly, Tom and Jerry and Robot Chicken, I've been watching plenty of History Channel.

Lately the History Channel has been nothing more than a soapbox for crackpot theorists and pseudoscientists. I am shocked at some of the crap they're putting on their network passing it as "science." Then again, ratings are ratings I guess. ANYWAY, Last night they had two really good shows. One was on what we know about the universe so far and thanks to who. They hit up all the big guys. The ancient Greeks, Mayas, Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, Hubble... etc. They gave a mini bio of each, how they arrived at their conclusions what they got right, what they got wrong/couldn't realize and what they hinted at that the next guy understood and ran with. GREAT series.

The other one, not as "scholarly," was Stan Lee's: Superhumans. This is nothing but a rip off of Ripley's Believe it or Not, but the focus is on what appear to be normal folks, but have super abilities. Last night's first show had a man from India that can't get electrocuted, two men from California, one is the "human calculator" as he can do ANY math in his head within seconds, the harder the problem, the faster he solves it. The other man was born completely blind, but can "see" using ecolocation, yup, just like a bat. He clicks his tongue and he can tell what's in front of him, whether a car, phone booth or person. A man from Texas with super strength was interesting. It's not that he has great strength, he has ACCELERATION and can access all his muscle fibers to tear a phone book in half, snap a wrench like a twig or roll up a skillet. Stan Lee has Daniel, a "super human" himself (he is allegedly the most flexible man on the planet) traveling all over the world for these folks.

My first complaint about the show is that apparently "all over the world" means "in the United States." Aside from the man from India, all the other folks were from the U.S... We'll see how that plays out in later episodes. Every Thursday night at 10E/9C. 

Finally saw Sin City about...two days ago. Considering that I was expecting a slasher movie with next to no plot I was pleasantly surprised. I like the way the movie was shot (different sequences from different stories overlapping) and the 'comic book effect' they used throughout. Still don't know how I feel about the (excessive) violence but all in all, a good movie to watch with a few friends and a couple of beers on a summer's night.

Haven't seen Inception yet, but I promised I will. Everyone's masturbating to it.

Watching The Ninth Gate right now. Another film I don't know why people are blasting, it's pretty good,

Now watching Futurama: Bender's Big Score. A bit odd so far. I'm not saying it's not funny, but it's missing something from the series.

Saw four movies this weekend. The only one worth talking about is The Crazies. Not that my movie selection sucked so bad that THIS movie is worth talking about, just... either not impressed (The Runaways), too cliche (I love you Beth Cooper) or not as funny as I thought it'd be (Hot Tub Time Machine).

The Crazies though, pleased me. It does no try to reinvent the zombie genre and it doesn't try and compete with current trends by trying to be gorier, more sadistic or violent. Instead it is more of a survival thriller and aside from four scenes, you really only see the aftermath of the carnage left behind by the "zombies." I really liked that. It was a great balance of suspense and action. To me, it succeeded in what it tried to do. Good movie all around.

I've been watching a new TV series of late that has really captured peoples attention here. It's called Sherlock and, surprise surprise, it is based on the detective so revered by Forostar.

The difference here, apparently, to most adaptations of this character is that it's brought right up-to-date and is set in modern London (I say "apparently" as it could well have been done before - see below). Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch (who played Steven Hawking brilliantly in, er, Hawking) and Watson by Martin Freeman (of The Office fame). It was created and written by one of the main people behind Doctor Who (Steven Moffat).

All in all it was pretty damn good but I'm not a fan of Holmes and have rarely seen or read anything "Holmesy", so I cannot compare with previous adaptations. I can only go on what was seen here.

Just saw the movie "kick ass."  It's a direct cross between Watchmen, and Superbad.  And maybe a bit of Sin City.  Great flick!

Albie said:
I've been watching a new TV series of late that has really captured peoples attention here. It's called Sherlock and, surprise surprise, it is based on the detective so revered by Forostar.

The difference here, apparently, to most adaptations of this character is that it's brought right up-to-date and is set in modern London (I say "apparently" as it could well have been done before - see below). Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch (who played Steven Hawking brilliantly in, er, Hawking) and Watson by Martin Freeman (of The Office fame). It was created and written by one of the main people behind Doctor Who (Steven Moffat).

All in all it was pretty damn good but I'm not a fan of Holmes and have rarely seen or read anything "Holmesy", so I cannot compare with previous adaptations. I can only go on what was seen here.

Sounds nice! On what channel is it? I'm afraid not BBC 1 or 2?

BBC1, but it is set to be broadcast elsewhere soon. Unfortunately, it was only on for three episodes.

Back