NOW WATCHING

Onhell said:

ROFL!

Good one, buddy...

BOT:

Just saw "The Day The Earth Stood Still"...

Not great... Not good...

Just mildly entertaining...

I was sooooooooooo disappointed that mankind wasn't eradicated... Seriously...
most things, both in the movie and in the news every day, made me root against my own species...

Well, I have seen Star Trek.  Before the spoiler tags: I loved it.  Great movie.

Now, in the spoiler tags...

Wow!  I can't ask for more than what JJ Abrams has served up.  Star Trek is completely unlike any of the other previous films, which were beholden to the bevy of characters from the television shows.  Abrams has stripped the Original Series characters down to extreme basics, and built us back up one by one.

Obviously, the movie centres on James T. Kirk's life, but it begins before his birth on the USS Kelvin, a small ship where George S. Kirk is a Lieutenant, and his wife is very pregnant.  The Kelvin is attacked by Nero, a Romulan warped back in time by a black hole's event horizon from over 150 years in the future.  Even though Nero is only commanding a mining vessel, it is far larger and more powerful than the Kelvin, which is badly damaged.  The Captain of the Kelvin takes a shuttlecraft over to surrender to ask Nero for terms, leaving Kirk in charge.

The captain is slain by Nero, and the Romulan attacks the Kelvin with the intent to destroy it.  Kirk orders an evacuation and sets the ship's autopilot to ram the enemy vessel, so that the shuttlepods might escape.  However, as his wife (in labour) is evacuated, Kirk realizes that the Kelvin's autopilot has been disabled.  He sets a collision course manually, and orders the shuttlepod with his wife to leave.  As the shuttlepod is departing, Kirk does his best to hold off the enemy ship, as his wife gives birth.  As the Kelvin approaches Nero's ship, George Kirk and his wife discuss what to name the child: James Tiberius Kirk.  Then the Kelvin rams Nero's ship, cutting off George's words.  I can honestly say this was the first time I ever cried at a Star Trek movie, and it was within the first five minutes!

Spock is the secondary focus of this movie, and Zachary Quinto was perfect in the role.  He looks like Spock, and he acts like Spock, with those little quirks that suggest Spock is a hint more human underneath.  I don't want to give away too much here, but I think the performance was absolutely as good as could be expected.

I was upset that Scotty didn't get as much screen time as he should have.  Simon Pegg filled the role quite nicely, and he was worth quite a few laughs.  Similarly, I thought Karl Urban was great as McCoy.  Probably, other than Spock, he was the best at emulating the performance of his predecessor.  Given that DeForest Kelley is dead, it is even more impressive than Quinto, who got the chance to meet and speak with Nimoy before he filmed as Spock.

Overall, the movie is significantly different.  There's a lot more emphasis on the action elements of the movie than any other Star Trek movie.  The only other one that came close in this regard was First Contact.  The character conflict was acceptable, but nicely resolved by the end of the film.  The visual updates to the Enterprise's bridge and decks were great.  The external graphics show a Constitution-class ship similar to the refit we saw in the TOS films, with the extra angles of the refitted Enterprise, and later the Enterprise-A, which I prefer.  Seeing the Enterprise (complete) for the first time was a visual marvel.  The graphics were really really good in this movie, probably the best of any movie I've ever seen.

The storyline was complex but well explained.  It did rely on time travel but I think it was necessary in this case to keep the fanboys happy and make sense.  The way the writers have chosen to reboot the franchise gives them the ability to write in a vacuum from the other events, though one could suggest that some things may not happen - history, however, still gave Jim Kirk the Enterprise in the end.

And Chekov still pronounces his Vs like Ws.  "Ensign Pavel Chekov, authorization code Four-Bravo-Wictor-Wictor."  "Authorization denied."

JJ Abrams hasn't directed much in the grand scheme of things.  In fact, the only other movie he's directed was the lackluster Mission: Impossible III.  But he's *finally* brought Star Trek's 23rd century into the 21st century.  It's updated, it's on the edge, but it still has the Star Trek feel: that Kirk, Spock and company will still boldly go where no one has gone before.

Me too...

You ever find yourself wondering what a spoiler-tag in real-life would look like..? Cuz' I do...

:p :bigsmile: :lol:

I live with real life spoiler tags all the time.... its the things that I really want to/should say, but clip short....

Yeah, I have to keep my filters up, or I'd be in court with my ex a lot, or get dragged across the counter by some old man that doesn't know the difference between a piston and a drive shaft.

BOT:

Been watching "TYSON", 2009...

You get a bit more insight into his life...
You get a bit more sympathy for his side of things...

But I still think he's a complete fucking idiot...

You get the highlights from all his fights, most which are great...

they have added sound effects to the punches, to emphasize them, but personally, I think thats silly...

If your a boxing fan, this could be worth a watch...

But don't plan a romantic evening with your special girl with this one... :lol:

I just watched Star Trek. In general, I agree with Loosey's comments. So, instead of repeating them, let me go into a few details I liked in particular

I liked the idea of Vulcan being destroyed. It adds much mythology to the Vulcan species, and makes Spock a more tragic character. In fact, I really liked what they did with Spock in general, including the romance with Uhura, which was basically the extension of a hint in the very first episode of the original series.

I also liked how they used the alternate timeline concept to basically do whatever they want with the universe. That was a rather obscure reference that I guess not very many people caught.

I also never thought I'd see product placement in a Star Trek film. But well.

And of course, like anything Star Trek-related, there were lessons to be learned. In particular, if you want to become a starship captain, you have to hurt somebody's feelings, and if you have your home planet destroyed and your species near-eliminated, you get a chance to jump into Uhura's knickers.

To sum it up, this was all I had hoped for and much more. A worthy relaunch, and I think that had Roddenberry lived today, he'd have thought it up more or less that way.

I'm just back from watching Star Trek and I'm going to have to take the rest of the day off to recover from it. It was absolutely a brilliant movie. I did sort of peek at Perun's and LC's spoilers, but funnily enough I had forgotten about what I read by the time I got there.

And it really does suggest there will be more to come. :D

@Perun
Product placement? I missed that - what was the product? And when in the movie? I must of been to enthralled by the movie to see this - so it failed on me!

Albie said:
@Perun
Product placement? I missed that - what was the product? And when in the movie? I must of been to enthralled by the movie to see this - so it failed on me!

In the scene at the beginning when young Kirk is driving the "antique car", he is called on a Nokia cellphone (including the default Nokia ring tone).

Wasted CLV said:
I read somewhere (on here?) that this is supposed to be a film trilogy.

The rumors I've heard is that they want to reboot the original TV show and used the movie as the set up.

I had heard that as well, that they (whom ever 'they' are) want to create a new tv series.  I guess we'll see.  I can't wait til it's out on DVD!

Wasted CLV said:
I read somewhere (on here?) that this is supposed to be a film trilogy.

I'm pretty sure that it might start as a trilogy but the film (Which was so darn good) is meant to be the start of the rebooted Star Trek franchise so we could expect a lot more films with the cast. Damn, that film was so good. I actually watched it twice in 2 days, which may not be that impressive but it's a first for me  :yey:
I'll be sure to watch the future films of the franchise

So I've seen quite a few movies lately, but haven't bothered to write about them. Last night though I saw one that I really enjoyed; Twelve Monkeys! What a cool movie. Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt were amazing, specially Pitt, holy crap was he convincing as a raving lunatic.

For those of you, like me, who missed out on this somewhat forgotten sci-fi gem it takes place in a very grim near future. It starts in 2036 or so and a virus has killed off 5 billion people, the few that survived now live underground and prisoners are used as scouts to gather information on the surface and... in the past. Willis gets sent back to 1996 to find out how the outbreak occurred and if possible, to bring back a sample of the virus in it's pure form. All they know is that the outbreak happened in December of 1996, but want to know HOW. Great time travel movie and it is REALLY sarcastic, I was cracking up pretty often.

Back