NOW WATCHING

Just finished Red Dragon, the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. In my opinion it matches and possibly possibly even surpasses Silence of the Lambs. The villain is better developed but equally disturbing, and he has a human side unlike Silence of the Lambs' Buffalo Bill. The scenes between Edward Norton and Anthony hopkins are unforgettable. The movie is tense, chilling, and most importantly smart, because it recognizes that the key to any good horror story is a good relationship story.

I recently saw Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (the 2007 Final Cut version), right after finishing the novel it is based on; Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and found it an extremely well-made and enjoyable film. It is set in a future Los Angeles, where genetically manufactured replicants (androids in the book), who are impossible to tell from real humans, are used for perilous work in space colonies. Due to past displays of violence, replicants are illegal on Earth, and escaped models are tracked down and "retired" by bounty hunters, the blade runners of the title. The plot centers around a bounty hunter called Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), who takes on an assignment to retire a group of replicants.

It differs substantially from the book, both by changing the plot and by shifting the focus to different underlying themes, but this actually makes it better and more interesting, since it now works as a complementary development of a similar premise rather than a scene-by-scene adaption for the screen. A major theme in the book only hinted at in the film is that, in a world devastated by nuclear war, the few remaining animals are prized above all else, and the taking of any life is morally revolting. This is contrasted to the systematic killing of androids. What separates humans from androids is the human ability for empathy, but since Deckard's work requires him to shut down his empathy for the androids, what actually makes him any different from them? On the other hand, a primary theme in the film is the replicants' search for a way to extend their short life span, which is a minor point in the book, as well adding implications that Deckard himself is a replicant.

Overall, the film is a magnificent work, perhaps the best part being how perfectly realized it is visually, immersing you in a harrowing future city depicted in a dark, neo-noir style. It's downright fantastic.

FINALLY saw I am Legend, the Will Smith version, I am yet to watch Heston's. It was an amazing movie. Like Shadow said of Blade Runner, this one too differs quite a bit from the book sticking only the to the basic premise of a virus and vampires, and oddly I liked that they were able to run with it rather differently. The only disappointing thing was that while the vampires were smart and fast like in the book they weren't vocal, instead they roared and growled a lot. They did a superb job in showing the scope and scale of the devastation and Smith's isolation. Brilliant film.

Seeing Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade again has made me hype the Crystal Skull film more. Ford did a bloody good job in that movie. Sean Connery's role was refreshing! Contrary to his more serious roles.

2008 to watch films.
Indy and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Iron Man
Valkyrie - Interested in seeing the July 20 plot in the big screen!
The Dark Knight - We'll see how Heath Ledger does Joker!

Just the initial list  :p

Don't forget Rambo!!! Another oldie making a comeback, I seriously cannot wait for this monumental piece of Cheese :D

Helphyre said:
Just finished Red Dragon, the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. In my opinion it matches and possibly possibly even surpasses Silence of the Lambs. The villain is better developed but equally disturbing, and he has a human side unlike Silence of the Lambs' Buffalo Bill. The scenes between Edward Norton and Anthony hopkins are unforgettable. The movie is tense, chilling, and most importantly smart, because it recognizes that the key to any good horror story is a good relationship story.
Not seen that one, but I do remember seeing Manhunter (a few years ago now), a film interpreted from the same book. I don't remember too much about it, though.

Gil Grissom tracked down Col. William Stryker with the help of Stonewall Jackson and the angry Italian detective from Law and Order.

LOL, I haven't seen it, but the general consensus seems to be that Manhunter was better than Red Dragon...

But only because Manhunter was Before The Silence Of The Lambs (TM). Seriously, Red Dragon is a good and worthwhile watch.

LooseCannon said:
Gil Grissom tracked down Col. William Stryker with the help of Stonewall Jackson and the angry Italian detective from Law and Order.
Now I'm confused. :D

Recently I watched The Simpsons movie and I have to say, although I thought it was a good movie, I felt just a tad disappointed and I can't quite put my finger on it. I didn't laugh at it as much as I was sort of anticipating to do so. I have it on DVD and will undoubtedly watch it again to see if I missed the odd gag here and there. ;)

However, a few days later, I watched Shrek the Third and realised just how good an animation should be. Could anyone but Eddie Murphy be Donkey? And of Shrek, did anyone catch Shrek The Halls over the Christmas period?

Albie said:
Now I'm confused. :D

Recently I watched The Simpsons movie and I have to say, although I thought it was a good movie, I felt just a tad disappointed and I can't quite put my finger on it. I didn't laugh at it as much as I was sort of anticipating to do so. I have it on DVD and will undoubtedly watch it again to see if I missed the odd gag here and there. ;)

However, a few days later, I watched Shrek the Third and realised just how good an animation should be. Could anyone but Eddie Murphy be Donkey? And of Shrek, did anyone catch Shrek The Halls over the Christmas period?
I was also pretty disappointed with The Simpsons movie, but I also thought Shrek The Third was very disappointing - I was really struggling to laugh during that one.

I saw Mel Gibson's Apocalypto at the weekend, and enjoyed it immensely, just as a great fast-paced thriller.

national acrobat said:
I was also pretty disappointed with The Simpsons movie, but I also thought Shrek The Third was very disappointing - I was really struggling to laugh during that one.

The first was the best and the third, although still funny, had too many old tricks to be as effective.

national acrobat said:
I saw Mel Gibson's Apocalypto at the weekend, and enjoyed it immensely, just as a great fast-paced thriller.

I liked this movie too.  Quite a lot actually.  I think it bombed in the box office because of Mel Gibson's racist rants, or maybe the movie goers simply thought the movie was bad.  Sure the movie came with a big bang but it went out with a whimper.  Regardless, the movie has some ominous parallels between modern and ancient Maya civilizations.  Despite having said this, I don't care for Gibson's religious views.  The action was great.  The only problem I had with it was the...

predictable ending.  I even saw the Lord of the Flies type of ending sequence coming a mile away.  The movie gave hints throughout.

Therefore, it was not as original as critics made it seem.

Watched 3:10 to Yuma, and it was a great western!-- if you are into westerns.  Lots of dead bodies, and, maybe even predictably so, but still a good watch.

Live Free or Die Hard-- maybe hard to believe, but lots of action and good fun.  Nothing I would wish to happen, but interesting to see what would happen if the 'grid' crashed.

From Hell-- Oldie but a goodie, if you like Johnny Depp and Jack the Ripper stories.  Has a good twist, and Depp plays a inspector that hooked on 'chasing the dragon' while trying to solve the case.

Just finishing off Sliders season 3 dvd collection.  I'm a junkie for semi-cheesy sci-fi, so i really liked the set.

I just finished watching Hot Fuzz for the second time, and this is easily one of the best, and funniest movies I have seen since Super Troopers.  The basic premise is that Simon Pegg's character, Nicholas Angel, is a super cop.  He's better than every other cop in London so they transfer him to a quiet, sleepy town in the countryside where his by-the-book attitude and preference for cranberry juice seems to cramp the town's style.  Angel is partnered with Danny Butterman (Nick Frost) who is an overweight, bumbling cop who just happens to be the son of Angel's new Inspector.  Butterman is fascinated with Angel, believing he is the Bad Boys-style cop he has always idolized, and seems to think that Angel has stepped right out of an American action movie.

Very shortly after Angel's arrival in town a series of grisely accidents occur - car accidents ending in decapitations, house explosions, roofs falling on a local reporter, and finally a woman stabbed to death by her own shears.  The viewer is treated to the fact that is murder, and naturally Angel's highly tuned cop instincts note the same, but the quiet, bumbling detachment of police refuse to consider the possibility, even after Angel pursues a suspect from the scene of the last murder.

Finally Angel puts it all together and accuses local "supermarché" owner Simon Skinner (Timothy Dalton) of plotting the murders to avoid the sale and development of land into a rival store.  Skinner's own security tapes prove him innocent, and Angel is derided by his force as bringing big city problems into small town life.

The truth, however, is far more asinine than it appears and ends with at least thirty minutes of non-stop Michael Bay-style action that is easily the most ridiculous gun battle sequence ever filmed.  The first few minutes gets chuckles and groans, but once the movie really picks up, it's a barrel of laughs and at the end you'll have forgotten that you were ever bored.  I highly recommend this movie to anyone looking for raw entertainment at it's best.

Back