NOW WATCHING

Personally I quite enjoy the odd anime. I would recommend to anyone Hellsing, Elfenlied, Bleach, Death Note, and Read or Die. But of course there are as yet many others which I haven't seen. Anyway, I wanted to report in on two movies I saw today. The first is Bound, a sort of mobster thriller thing with one of the hottest lesbian sex scenes I've ever seen. A good movie, and if you're a fan of the Wachowski brothers definitely watch it. The other movie is Groundhog Day, which is a bit of a cute/funny movie that leaves you a bit thoughtful afterwards.  Andie MacDowell is in it, but its not her best performance I'd say.

Recently I have been watching the British television drama Midsomer Murders, about fictional Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby and how he solves many mysterious murders in the county of Midsomer.  Of course, the entire premise is fictional, as there is no Midsomer County, and with the amount of murders that happen in the county, certainly the detective would have long ago lost his job.

Tom Barnaby is presented as England's answer to Hercule Poirot in many ways.  The two follow similar schemes of detection with an emphasis on intellectual work and analyzing the character of the suspects.  Physical violence is almost never directly experienced by Barnaby in the course of his work, though he usually has a younger Detective Sergeant with him to assist in such situations.

Though in the majority of situations, Barnaby captures a criminal and sends them off to prison, like Poirot, Barnaby occasionally is defeated by an enemy, which usually ends up in that person's death or suicide before he can realize the truth behind the crime.  Once or twice, Barnaby has let a murderer go - usually because he realizes the evidence against them is either so aged or so thin that the arrest has no chance of going anywhere.

The really interesting aspect of the series is how every episode (each of which is appx. 2 hrs long) seems to display another picturesque village in the English countryside, and how during the course of the investigation, DCI Barnaby and his sidekick discover deviance, corruption, fraud, and philandering behind the "perfect" mask the area wears.  In this, it seems the entire focus of the show is social commentary on the people who try to live a life defined by social class (which is very prevalent in Midsomer County) and appearances (even more prevalent).  Among the many scandals uncovered by Barnaby in his time include a homosexual relationship between two parish priests, the systematic sexual abuse of a young man by his teacher, an accidental killing of a young boy by a series of pranking teens, and any number of blackmailings and extramarital affairs.

One must remember that it is a TV series and, thus, does not enjoy the luxury of strong actors outside of the main crew, nor of expensive budgets.  This makes the series very down to earth when you compare to American crime drama like CSI or even Law and Order.  The emphasis is on the abilty of DCI Barnaby and his companion to investigate by asking questions and the basest studies of clues.  What few lab tests are used oft occur offscreen, with a phone call or report to the main characters giving them a new direction to travel in.  After spending the last decade submerged by CSI and its cohorts of clones, designed to replace story with glorified technology and explosions, I find Midsomer Murders to be extremely interesting and absorbing, in that you have to follow the whole episode to understand Barnaby's train of thought as he, at the end, discovers who the murderer is, and much like Poirot, explains their crime to them in great detail.

Natalie said:
The first is Bound, a sort of mobster thriller thing with one of the hottest lesbian sex scenes I've ever seen.

I'm SO watching it now! :D
The other movie is Groundhog Day, which is a bit of a cute/funny movie that leaves you a bit thoughtful afterwards.  Andie MacDowell is in it, but its not her best performance I'd say.

LOVE that movie, I think it's awesome and very funny.

I have to admit, LC, that Midsomer Murders is one of my favourite TV shows. And nicely summed as well.

I've always liked Inspector Morse, A Touch of Frost and The Inspector Lynley Mysteries better in the same genre. The atmosphere of Midsomer Murders is quite absorbing, but the solutions of the murders tend to be a bit too far-fetched in my view. Still an enjoyable series though.

Shadow said:
I've always liked Inspector Morse, A Touch of Frost and The Inspector Lynley Mysteries better in the same genre. The atmosphere of Midsomer Murders is quite absorbing, but the solutions of the murders tend to be a bit too far-fetched in my view. Still an enjoyable series though.
That's one of the prime reasons I enjoy it.  It is very Christie-esque in its execution.  Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple always had murders that were a hint far-fetched.  It's not designed to be serious, but I do understand the criticism, and it really makes sense.  All in what you like...

One thing we can never accuse Midsomer Murders of is taking itself seriously. Characters in the show often make remarks of how ridiculously high the murder rate is in Midsomer and if you're going to make many a show about murders in a fictitious area in middle England full of the nearly deads and the filthy rich, then best not make it too true to life. ;)

I have to admit, I am quite excited for the first show of series 11 when Troy returns.  I really hope that he helps Barnaby with the whole case instead of just "being there" for a few moments.

Powergirl81 said:
I watched the tail-end of a movie last night that my hubby saw long ago, called "The Birds." It was made in like 1963 and it's about a huge flock of crows (they really looked like ravens, though) attacking schoolkids and just randon people! Way strange, and since it was made in 1963, the bird sounds sounded fake and you could tell like when the people were running away from them, it looked like they were in front of a big blue screen.

It's clear that you only have seen the end of the movie. There's an growing tension going on through the whole film (and especially in the scene near the school when the amount of silent birds is increasing terrifyingly fast).

Many birds that you see are in fact real. In the scene where Tippy Hedren is alone in the room with the birds, the birds are all REAL. The actress didn't even know about it, beforehand, and she had to be brought to a hospital because of many wounds and a shock.

Many innovative effects were used, also the soundtrack, which features no music(!)

I caught like, the last hour of it or so. The first thing I saw was that guy who was killed and his eyes were gouged out and I said, "Eww! Yuck!" lol

Then while the kids were at school, like hundreds of birds were gathering on the jungle gym and the teacher noticed. ...I don't remember any music at all.

I'll watch it all the way through one of these days. We just got digital cable and have like, 300+ channels!  :D :D

Forostar said:
Many innovative effects were used, also the soundtrack, which features no music(!)

I really liked that about the film, makes the tension even more unbearable...

as for murder shows, nothing beats Murder, She Wrote :D

You know, pigeons have never been the same to me after watching that film. Who would have thought that a picture like this could give you the chills?

218935247_3d73ed7e33.jpg

Hehe, indeed! About 8 or 9 years ago, I was attacked (diving and screeching, not hitting though) by a seagull, at least two early mornings in a row. The damned bird was high on a building looking down in the empty street which was on my route to the bus stop.

Perhaps my (reflection of my) glasses annoyed him?

Nice summary of Midsomer Murders LC, I really enjoy that TV show.

Yet another movie update. I saw The Golden Compass on Saturday and I must say I was both happy and dissapointed with it. The cast is amazing (love the voice of Jorik Burnisson!) but it doesnt stay as true to the book as I had hoped (hello, the ending?). I am very intrigued to see what they do with the other two books in the trilogy, but even though I read this book a long time ago I still could tell which bits where left out and what details where from other books in the trilogy. So, if you're a huge fan of the books be prepared to have some discrepancy.

Speaking of "true to the book", my favourite crime series are definitely Sherlock Holmes (broadcasted 1984-1994), starring Jeremy Brett.

The series stay very true to Arthur Conan Doyle's work, so people who watch these series are bound to see good stories!

I can't watch all the episodes yet (bought the complete set in London) since I still have to read the last 5 Holmes adventures ("The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier", "The Adventure of the Lion's Mane", "The Adventure of the Retired Colourman", "The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger" & "The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place").

Natalie said:
Nice summary of Midsomer Murders LC, I really enjoy that TV show.

Yet another movie update. I saw The Golden Compass on Saturday and I must say I was both happy and dissapointed with it. The cast is amazing (love the voice of Jorik Burnisson!) but it doesnt stay as true to the book as I had hoped (hello, the ending?). I am very intrigued to see what they do with the other two books in the trilogy, but even though I read this book a long time ago I still could tell which bits where left out and what details where from other books in the trilogy. So, if you're a huge fan of the books be prepared to have some discrepancy.
Why have they called it The Golden Compass? What a naff title.

I saw a program about it at the weekend, it doesn't look too bad. It's been a while since I read those books, maybe some refreshing is in order. Would you recommend seeing the film or not, Natalie (considering previous posts about extortionate cinema prices)?

national acrobat said:
Why have they called it The Golden Compass? What a naff title.
Because that was the title in the States, where as it was The Northern Lights over here, I know which title I prefer. I was looking forward to seeing this a bit as I enjoyed the books when I was younger, it comes out here on Friday, but now I'm not too sure I want to see it.

Back