NOW WATCHING

Judas Priest have been amazing. Fucking great sound.
Waiting for Kreator in the virtual stage!
Edit: Kreator has been amazing. What a performance
The virtual XR stage is very annoying and I hate it.

Last edited:
Seen quite a few things in the past few days. GF and I had another horror movie bender. We watched all four Scream movies and they're pretty fun. Wes Craven always had a sense of humor evident in Freddy Kruguer himself. Scream was a franchise I've always seen as comedy. It's so self-aware and makes so much fun of the genre and itself that one can't possibily take it seriously. The scene from the first movie where Sydney's friend dies with the garage door.... comedy gold. One of the few things I found funny with how Scary Movie handled it.

Then we saw the original Halloween I and II cuz fuck the rest. Then we saw Rob Zombies remakes. The first one is AWESOME. REALLY good remake. The second one is a pile of crap as big as Halloween 4 and 5 put together. Real Shame.

Now we're watching Hulu's The Handmaid's tale based on Margaret Atwood's 1985 novel. I mention the year, because the series is CLEARLY it's own thing. Sure they have her as a consultant and it is clearly BASED on the novel, but it takes place in the today times. There's internet, starbucks and sleek laptops and the like. They've expanded her vision and fleshed it out A LOT. I mean, it is your standard 300+ page novel and they're on season 4 now? I stopped trying to compare it to the book by like episode 3. I began having the same issues as when I saw the Hobbit with many, "I don't remember THAT," moments. I read the book like 17 years ago or so, but I remember it well. It is a GOOD series, worth watching, but with all that they added I wonder if they're going to finish it on a timely manner or they're just going to milk it into nonsense.

Watched The Unknown Soldier (2018).

Finnish war movie/mini-series based on the novel from 1954. Covers the Continuation War against Soviet Russia from 1941-44. Realistic and well made. Also deals with the politically charged questions well, I would say - the Finns were after all retaking lost territory and then invading Russia as sort of part of the Axis powers while maintaning a neutral/separate conflict stance at the same time. Not a dramatically original story by any means, but if you want something very similar to Band of Brothers I would say it's hard to beat. It's of course also a history lesson on a less portrayed part of WWII.

(Note: I watched the 5 part mini-series. Each episode being around an hour, it eclipses the theatrically released film-version of 179 min or the international film release of 133 min by far. Most expensive Nordic film productions make both a mini-series and a theatrically released film version at the same time, so this is standard occurrence.)

Started watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime.

So we're on episode 6 of season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale. I'm really conflicted about this show. On one hand, it is REALLY good. The characters are great, the vision is phenomenal, I mean, taking a book of only 311 pages and fleshing out the world the way they did is brilliant. The acting is top notch from EVERYONE. From the protagonist to the secondary characters, just amazing. Yet... oh yet... it is far from perfect. The main cast revolves around Elizabeth Moss (The Invisible Man, Us), Joseph Finnes and Yvonne Strahovski (Dexter). One of the things I really like is Strahovski's acting. I absolutely fell in love with her in Dexter and wished she was given something bigger. Well, here it is and she knocks it out of the park.

As stated before the show is based on Margaret Atwood's novel and she is a consultant on the show from showrunner Bruce Miller. The things I can talk about without spoiler tags is that he made the decision, with Atwood's consent, of adding POC and more LGBQ+ characters. There are no POC in the novel, and I think only one lesbian character. So to flesh out the world and keep up with the times they went with that. That being sad... the protagonist is still played by a white woman, soooo.... OK. Another thing that kinda bothers me is Elisabeth Moss is a really good actress, but she is far from a... "universal beauty." Like... young men wouldn't have posters of her or the modern equivalent of your monitor background pick the way they do with SI models or say, Scarlett Johansen. The reason I bring it up is because the men on the show keep telling Fred Waterford, played by Joseph Finnes, how lucky he is to have such an attractive handmaid. Like... his WIFE (Strahovski) is objectively WAY more attractive, good god. I guess it's more of a commentary on how men are just fucking horndogs. Hell, Alexis Bliedel (Gilmour Girls) also plays one of the handmaids and she at least falls under "cute." Can't wait for the shit I'll catch for this, but meh, just my 2 cents on that.

The show is clearly a feminist critique of society and what I am fascinated by is the interaction by all the women. In the Handmaid's tale the women are divided into the commander's wives, handmaid's, actual maids called "Marthas" and drill sargeants that train the handmaids called "Aunts." The aunts are ruthless and beat the prospective handmaids and actual handmaids for the slightest hint of misbehavior. ALL women are not allowed to read or write. All these women, the wives, handmaids, marthas and aunts were sold this system by MEN. They had to convince their wives and it snowballed from there, and they are all under different levels of durress in this theocracy of Gilead.

Thus the wives have some power just by being the wives of the commanders running the show, as do the aunts who have authority over the handmaids and the marthas, yet they all fear the men, yet more importantly each other. If any report of hersesy makes its way to the authorities you can be mutilated, stoned, drowned or hung. Everybody is walking on eggshells. Instead of aiming their frustrations at the men, they direct them at each other, each hating or envying the other. The wives hate the handmaids for having to be the ones to bear their children, the martha's see the handmaids as a temporary nuisance, they both hate the aunts, etc. On to spoilers!
My biggest probelm with the show is its protagonist, June/Offred played by Elisabeth Moss. She is GREAT, but her character... not so much. She makes some REEEEAAAAALLY dumb decisions and the show doesn't punish her. Like, early in the series another handmaid, Janine, talks back to one of the aunts, she refuses to be subjugated. Weeeeell, they poke one of her eyes out. Another handmaid, Emily, played by Bliedel, steals a car, runs over a guard, gets caught, she has her genitalia mutilated. Another, Ofglen (can't recall the actress) gets her tongue removed. Mrs. Waterford, the commander's wife, dares read a passage of the Bible to prove a point and has her pinky chopped off. June defies authority CONSTANTLY, even talks back, runs away not once, not twice, BUT THRICE! Not ONCE does she face any severe punishment. She gets poked with a cattle prod, slapped in the face, but no permanent disfigurement... not... once. w....t...f? The last time she runs away she runs away with her baby which by Gilead law is the Waterfords' baby and DECIDES TO STAY, why? Her other, older daughter is still somewhere in Gilead. So she leaves her basically newborn baby in the hands of another fugitive who may or may not make it to Canada and chooses to stay to MAYBE find and save her other daughter? what a crock of shit. She could do much more working with the Canadian and what is left of the American government. But nooooo, she wants to bring Giliad down from the inside. Right... this is where you can tell they want to milk the show for all it has.

Recently a friend of mine felt sorry about herself on Facebook saying, and I quote:

"As a feminist, I feel extra awful, somehow, when I find myself really detesting another woman, especially if she has other identities that I recognize subject her to prejudice as well. I want to be on her team, but of course she has to be willing to be on the same team as I am too. And she is just as free to not want that as I am.

I am free to not want that -- that's so hard to say."

Is it really? Like, it's hard to say you're human and it's ok to not like someone? It got me thinking about the show. It constantly shows society before Gilead through flashbacks. Moss' character is no angel. She gets involved with a married man, said man leaves his wife and marries her. We're supposed to be ok with this because they really "love" each other, aw. Fact remains she destroyed a marriage. They have a scene in which the man's soon to be ex-wife approaches her and does a Dolly Parton in Jolene. This is so REAL. Women will fight EACH OTHER over a man, when it is the man they should be upset with. June is not the one cheating here, he is. Then they have a scene after the government has fired all the women and redistributed their assets to their husbands. In their aparment we have June, her now husband, Luke and her best friend, Moira, a black lesbian. Moira gets upset for Luke reassuring June when he says, "Don't worry I'll take care of you." She says, "Wait, what? PROTECT her? She doesn't NEED your protection, ok?" "Oh, so I'm wrong for wanting to support my wife?" "MY wife? So she's your property now?" This kinda goes to my friend's comment. Everything is offensive, everything is wrong. I can say, "my friend," or "my coworker" and nobody assumes I hold ownership over them, but say "my GF" or "my wife" and all of a sudden you're a caveman from the 50s. Bliedel's character is a lesbian biology professor. In a flashback we see her teaching a class and a young black woman asks a question and she gets mansplained, by an obnoxious frat dude. Bliedel corrects him and after class she is approached by the female student. She tells her to not get discouraged by sexist idiots. Her phone rings, they both look down and the student says, "Oh that's your family?" "Yes, my wife and our son." Next seen she is being told by her deparment head, a gay man, that she is not giving classes next semester and will focus on research. There's been a complaint. She immediately thinks of the sexist frat dude, but oh surprise, the complaint was about the picture on her phone! It was the black woman that reported her! DUN DUN DUN.

I LOVE this about the show, the interactions are real, the dialogue and clashes are so spot on. So kinda ironic the showrunner is a man who had to sell this vision (dare I say mansplain) to Atwood.

In short, AMAZING show, spectacular acting from EVERYONE. Watch it, even with its minor flaws.

Watched 7500 (2019).

A decent film about a plane-hijacking starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The drama is great, however it felt like a bit of a stretch at times - I firmly believe the passengers would have done a lot more in a real world scenario.

Watched 7500 (2019).

A decent film about a plane-hijacking starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The drama is great, however it felt like a bit of a stretch at times - I firmly believe the passengers would have done a lot more in a real world scenario.
How so? I haven't read/heard of any real world hijackings, except one, in which the passengers have never done anything. So you know of any others?

I recently watched every episode of CHiPs (don’t ask). I will say it was funny to see much younger versions of Ed Harris and Bryan Cranston playing redneck criminals. Danny Bonaduce and Miguel Ferrer as gang members was also pretty amusing. And ridiculous Hollywood car crash physics are always entertaining.

Also watching old classic MacGyver, though now I’m past the more entertaining spy stuff and into the latter-era after school special stuff, which is more exhausting. Though seeing Larry Wilcox from CHiPs playing a hardened criminal on that show so soon after playing a goody two-shoes cop was funny. I was also surprised to learn that Wilcox narrowly lost out on the Sonny Crockett role in Miami Vice to Don Johnson. There’s a snippet of Wilcox’s Miami Vice audition tape on YouTube, and it’s not bad.

How so? I haven't read/heard of any real world hijackings, except one, in which the passengers have never done anything. So you know of any others?

You mean you’ve never heard of one where people have done anything? Your wording is a bit confusing.

You mean you’ve never heard of one where people have done anything? Your wording is a bit confusing.
Ugh, thank you, my phone likes "correcting." I only know of one where the passengers did something. I'm sure there are others, but that is why I ask, most of the ones I know about the passengers either didn't even know the plane was hijacked or did nothing out of fear.

Ugh, thank you, my phone likes "correcting." I only know of one where the passengers did something. I'm sure there are others, but that is why I ask, most of the ones I know about the passengers either didn't even know the plane was hijacked or did nothing out of fear.

Alright, I don't know. Poorly armed hijackers/jihadi terrorists killing hostages, plane in Western Europe post 9/11 -> Passengers??

Alright, I don't know. Poorly armed hijackers/jihadi terrorists killing hostages, plane in Western Europe post 9/11 -> Passengers??
Now I want to watch the movie, I still think you're giving the average person too much credit, but maybe it makes sense in the context of the film.

Back