NOW WATCHING

Interested in seeing Outlaw King. It's rare to get anything where they seriously attempt historical accuracy for the medieval period, but so far the only thing that's really bugging me (apart from the usual lack of hats/head coverings, that's probably partly down to lighting issues) is that from the trailer, it looks like they've tried to put an overly modern marriage in there.

No, the trailer seemed to be making a big thing of their relationship. Period films and novels have a habit of trying to portray modern relationships, couples analysing and talking about their feelings, wives having a lot of say in their husband's public life. That's a very modern idea.

Uh, it kinda is. The relationship is modern from a mutual respect perspective.

mutual respect is NOT a modern marriage thing. It is a modern misconception to think marriage used to be one sided and now it isn't. The idea of the "traditional" family and marriage is actually against mutual respect with the patriarch being the be all end all of the decision making. Arranged marriages of the past were more likely to have more respect between each other as they understood the arrangement for what it is, a business.

I didn't say marriage, I said relationship.

That too. :p

Speaking of which, just finished with season six of House of Cards. Very... "meh." Once the flagship show of Netflix, now it felt irrelevant. While the show had been working towards this in some way shape or form, just like the Dark Knight Rises, HOC suffers from the sudden death/firing of a central character and then awkwardly tries to dance around it.

Watching Who Is America?, Sacha Baron Cohen's new show. Sheer brilliance. Israeli anti-terrorism expert Erran Morad is the star of the show, but the far-right conspiracy theorist Billy Wayne Ruddick Jr. and the far-left SJW Nira Cain-N'Degeocello are also phenomenal characters.

Pretty fascinating that he's still able to dupe prominent political figures after years of fame as a movie star. A lot of the credit goes to the make-up team.

I'm a few episodes into the third season of Mad Men now. This morning I watched the one with the driveable lawnmower driven by one of the secretaries who managed to slice the English guy's leg and sprayed blood over some of the junior execs. :D

I'm a few episodes into the third season of Mad Men now. This morning I watched the one with the driveable lawnmower driven by one of the secretaries who managed to slice the English guy's leg and sprayed blood over some of the junior execs. :D

Great episode! I love the addition of the English team.

Are the actors English? They seem like the usual stereotype of what Americans think all English people are like i.e. somewhat too English.

As far as I know they are all English. The two main guys that stick around (Lane and Mr. Hooker) are certainly English, though they are both embellishing their natural accents a bit (especially the latter).

Any time I see an English/Scottish/Irish character in an American TV show or film I doubt that they are actually the nationality they're portraying. The accent always seems off. Also, Welsh people don't seem to exist in American TV or film.

Back