NOW WATCHING

Saw The Lego Movie. It's fantastic. Great voice cast, numerous references, beautiful imagery and (surprisingly) an actually thoughtful story. A must watch (even for adults). :applause:

Game of Thrones [S03E02]

I have read all the books and while I think they are good in many ways, Martin has let them spun out of control in length and scope, leaving a story which just goes on and on with no end in sight. I'm tired of reading a 1000-pages of travel description with only stops for eating dinner (onions, always onions) followed by a brutal death at the end for no other reasons than for gritty realism - and his prose has too many tics for it to be enjoyable. When I was reading A Dance with Dragons I only saw the onions, and the painfully formulaic chapters.

The TV-series is still pretty well done. Good actors, some great scenery and excellent atmosphere. On the downside there is the HBO-trademark of nudity and foul language for no other reason than to have it, which I got bored of by season one. This particular episode was enjoyable, I really like the Brienne-storyline.

(When Thoros of Myr made his appearance I was convinced he was played by William Hurt. Paul Kaye looks exactly like William Hurt in Robin Hood (2010).)

I finally finished Friends today after a 1 month marathon. And its finale became the first product of art that made me tear up. I guess I connected to the show pretty intensely. :bigsmile:

I finally finished Friends today after a 1 month marathon. And its finale became the first product of art that made me tear up. I guess I connected to the show pretty intensely. :bigsmile:

I'd say, I liked it, but it was always "meh" to me. Funny, but never "must watch" TV. It had great moments like having Brad Pitt, Tom Selleck and other cameos. Chandler's Dad is always a favorite lol.

I'd say, I liked it, but it was always "meh" to me. Funny, but never "must watch" TV. It had great moments like having Brad Pitt, Tom Selleck and other cameos. Chandler's Dad is always a favorite lol.

I feel like the level of appreciation for the show depends on how much you connect with the characters as "Friends". If I were to watch the show like a comedian's stand up show, I probably wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much. But once you get that feeling that you're out there joking around with your friends, it feels warm and welcoming.

Do you dislike the show?
Not particularly.

I do, however, find the statement:
... its finale became the first product of art that made me tear up. I guess I connected to the show pretty intensely.
in relation to a sitcom, at best, surprising. Are you not moved by any other forms of art? Was it just the finale, or did the whole concept strike a chord with you? I mean, my own opinion is that, as far as sitcom TV shows go, it was above average; I can't say I ever thought any more of it than that though. It might be noted, however, that my opinion of TV & drama is incredibly low.

I am moved by other forms of arts much more so than films and tv shows, they just hadn't made me tear up. And it was just the finale. I explained why it made me tear up, too. I connected to the show intensely. It wasn't the shown material that made me tear up, it was because the show was ending. The show is about friendship, I connected to the characters as if they were my friends and knowing there won't be any more of that got me. It should be very simple to understand.

I understand your reaction of surprise, I was surprised, too. Because out of all very moving pieces of art I've stumbled across, a sitcom managed to make me tear up.

Just finished watching a documentary about the golden era of Forumla One racing called "1". It basically talked about the driving legends of the time, those who died due to the dangers of the sport and as a result of that, what they did to try and change the safety . Ever since I saw the movie "Rush", which was about the rivary between Niki Lauda and James Hunt during the 1976 season, I really became interested in F1 racing. This doc is great for people who are new to F1 and want to learn alittle about it's history and for people who are fans of the sport already. I really enjoyed it.

I was just going to write something about Rush, which I watched the other day. Excellent movie - well-acted, very tense (though I suppose it helps a little if you're unfamiliar with the events it's based on). Highly recommended.

Friends was an iconic show, but its social impact (in the U.S. at least), is dwarfed by Seinfeld, which was, IIRC, on immediately beforehand, and is probably the greatest American sitcom ever. (Seinfeld's series finale, however, sucked.)

The greatest American TV show ever was The Wire -- but True Detective (1st season now airing on HBO) is giving it a run for its money. Fantastic show, terrific cast -- Matthew McConaughey's best performance since Wooderson -- and you have absolutely no idea where it could go next. Literally anything, including the supernatural and occult, is on the table. Plus, Episode 2 has ...
the most jaw-dropping OMG! nude scene since Uma Thurman came to international consciousness in Dangerous Liaisons.

Saw the LEGO movie with my kids. I'd give it a 7/10. Thought it was funny, couldn't get that ridiculous "everything is awesome" song out of my head for the rest of the weekend. Didn't love the ending, though:
literally deus ex machina, and Will Ferrell wasn't even funny.

Last edited:
The impact of Friends and Seinfeld vary in the United States and the rest of the world. While Seinfeld is the more popular and iconic show in the US (it's still shown on TV if I'm not mistaken), Friends doubled the sales of Seinfeld in the rest of the world and is a much popular show. Could be because Seinfeld is a little upper class show and is hard to relate to as a non-American while Friends is a show that has an universally relatable idea essentially.

You're right about Seinfeld running just before Friends. They were on Thursdays. Seinfeld ended in 1998 while Friends continued until 2004, though. Friends' popularity had a huge boost around the first years of the new decade, the show led the TV ratings in 2001, I think.

Watched Rush (2013) this evening, right after cheering Finland's 5-0 win against USA in the hockey bronze game.

Really good film. I was actually surprised as I had low expectations beforehand. I kind of expected a new Days of Thunder...

Hopefully going to watch The Lego Movie next weekend.

Back