NOW READING

A

Anonymous

Hello everybody,
Need some ideas about new books to read, so what are you reading ?
I am catching up with the Trilogy of the Nomes : Truckers, Diggers and Wings; and then will go on with Arto Paasilinna: The Year of the Hare.
The trilogy is fun, even if I am reading it a little bit to late I think. But the idea of an entire world humans are not aware of is nice.

As always I am reading lots of books at the same time:
Volersungen zur Einfuhrung in die Psychoanalyse by Sigmund Freud
Veinte poemas de amor by Pablo Neruda
all Shakespeare
Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner : if you like sci-fi. IMO he's one of the greatest author ever . [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Phew. The Darkness series by Harry Turtledove. The Hobbit, six different textbooks for exams.

I just finished Prey by Michael Chrichton REALLY fast paced, i read it in three days and i'm a slow reader. Don Quijote by Cervantes and i'm slowly reading all of Edgar Allen Poe of course. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I've read the instruction manual of my VCR, but I didn't understand much of it. Likewise, I read the phone directory but, although there are many characters, there isn't an awful lot of action... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Seriously, I recently read The Ages Of Gaia by James Lovelock. It is a fascinating book about the history of the earth and how the planet's destiny is very closely intertwined with the evolution of life on its surface. A bit tough for the neophytes at times, but a great read in any case!

Otherland by Tad Williams

Fantasy books are a nice relaxation

Well, it seem there's quite a lot of sci-fi here. I didn't now a lot in this field, only Bradbury's novels or Adams' parody "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy".
A question to Syl: how many languages are you reading? And another one, is the Pratchett you're reading enjoyable. I mean, after the Nomes Trilogy what title will you recommend.
BTW, I haven't been very fluent myself in my first message, but I'd like people to explain a little what is the story about and why they like it.
The Nomes Trilogy is about Nomes world unnoticed by the humans. There are nomes of the outside, and nomes of The Store. The Store is safe and there's plenty of food, but one day, signs show it will be destroyed. Trouble is that Nomes od The Store don't believe in the Outside.
Actually it is more a book for children, but there's a lot of interesting ideas: believing in what we see and not what is... Kind of book you enjoy as a child and when you read many years later, you still are plus you realise there's more in it than a story for children.
What Brunner's and Williams' books are like?
Thanks for your answers

PS: Maverick, for the VCR, you push the button, put the little square black box in the bigger box (also black), and then the movie is reading itself. Need a step by step notice from maidenfans' readers? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I only read books when I have to for school. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it though.

[!--QuoteBegin-Le Hibou+Dec 4 2003, 11:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Le Hibou @ Dec 4 2003, 11:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] What Brunner's and Williams' books are like?

[/quote]
Ok I tray to explain but my spelling is not that good.

The plot is in the future. People can get online with all of there mind (like in the matrix) and a lot of children has come it to a coma after going to some sites on the otherland net. Some of the famalys of the coma strucken children descover that they are not dead but alive inside the net. They can't log out whit out killing the children. The hunt to save the children starts but the ones that are going to save the children become prisoners them self in the net and can't go to the real world.

That is just the start of it... 4 books in the seary. Rely good and I'm finely almoste at the end of it all

I just finished the most recent book in the Wheel of Time series. I was disappointed by it. This is a series that has extended through 10 novels so far, and all of the previous books were exciting and pushed the story along. This book seemed to move along too slowly and had very little excitement. But in the author's defense, it appears that most of this book is meant to set the stage for some major action in the next book.

I also read "Lamb" by Christopher Moore, which is a work of fiction about the life of Christ. It takes the Gospels as a starting point and doesn't contradict anything from the Bible, but it has a story of Jesus through the 30 years of his life that aren't covered in the Gospels. It's got some great humor, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in religion (or at least Christianity).

I'm reading the pmbok (Project Management Body of Knowledge) to do my thesis...
Is so funny.... f**k

[!--QuoteBegin-Le Hibou+Dec 4 2003, 09:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Le Hibou @ Dec 4 2003, 09:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] A question to Syl: how many languages are you readingWhat Brunner's and Williams' books are like?

[/quote]
I speak 27 languages and read 35 .

Just joking . [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I only understand French, English and Spanish. I read Freud in French. Most of the time I try to read in the original language. It's better above all for poems. Like the great poet Borges used to say , how can anyone think that the meaning and the music of a pome can be separated ? Reading translated poetry is a real loss.

"Stand on Zanzibar" is about a very near future in which computers are oracles, terrorism is a sport, reproduction is rules by laws on eugenic , and there a few characters are struggling for life. A very good description of the society and the structure of the book is amazing.

I also recommend " the shockwave rider", "the sheep look up" and "the jagged orbit" by the same author . They're all prospective sci-fi dealing with the causes that can accelerate our modern lives and trying to foresee their effects in the future.

Reading Iron Cross: A life of Fieldmarschall Erwin Rommel. Also Inside, Outside, Herman Wouk. Also The Taste of Courage, Axis Triumphamt 1939-41.

I like James Michener...Herman Wouk, mostly historical novels and non-fictional histories. Recantly read Lost Batallions: Going for Broke in the Vosges. Also read a book about rescuing British and American POW in Malasia. I am struggling with Hitler's fucking book. I've been trying to read that for years. It's as clear as mud.

I like to read documentary-type books on the various wars, but obviously WWII is my favorite war.

I just finished reading Stephen Lawhead great books and Sara Douglas a very Good Aussie author also jane Welch but now i have to go find a couple of New authors as i have read the series and recomendations ???

I have read Robert Jordans the guy bored me to tears how could someone write and describe something that goes for about 10 pages on one thing....... hmmmm

Alot of Historical books also specially the periods of 800- 1400 AD the crusdade wars and all that stuff as a teenager was into the hitler and world war 1 and 2 but they tend to wear off as you grow older

any way at the moment im reading the Dune series for the 4th time the books are amazing....

Ok, i'm cheating and I'm taking this from the back of the book (Prey): "In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horribly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles--micro-robots-- has excaped from the laboratory. This cloud is self-sustaining and selfreproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive. It has been pregrammed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour. Every attempt to destroy it has failed. And we are the prey." POM POM POM!!!!

Sacred by Denise Lehane, author of Mystic River, is also REALLY good. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Lichen! Dude! I'm majoring in history, specifically 20th century conflict, SUB-specifically World War 2!

Okay, currently reading "Vimy" by Pierre Burton, on the Battle of Vimy Ridge, and prepping for Return of the King!

AH Return of the King. I tried ready the trilogy but found them extremely boring. Of the few Movies I have enjoyed more than the books. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Dec 4 2003, 08:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Dec 4 2003, 08:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I've read the instruction manual of my VCR, but I didn't understand much of it. Likewise, I read the phone directory but, although there are many characters, there isn't an awful lot of action...   [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[/quote]
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] lough of the day!

I'm currently reading Tolkien's "Silmarillion"

Time to post here again.

I just finished the Silmarillion. Reads like the Bible, I swear, but the stories are great.

I'm now switching over to T.H. White's "The Once and Future King" and "Achtung! Panzer" by Heinz Guderian

Back