NOW PLAYING

Ah, good. I was slightly worried about whether it was about (what was earlier called) MPD. The song's a lot more fun to listen to when framed as being about parts of oneself instead of MPD.

I might write a bit more about all this in the Mental Health thread later.

He also on numerous occasions said that it wasn't about him but that it was about a friend of his wife. He also stated that the late comedian George Carlin inspired him to write it:

I think in general the song is obviously about the struggle of anxiety/schizophrenia. The way Dave wrote the lyrics makes the struggle between the multiple voices inside his head really obvious and I always thought it was cool how he "battled" them out against eachother in some of the verses. Then of course there's the really dark side of it too with the added side story that one of the voices/personalities might have done some serious harm or crime...."Bloodstains on my hands, and I don't know where I've been" etc...

Also props to Dave for the acting in the video which really nails the feeling I guess of being in a prison of your own mind with different voices/parts of of you "fighting it out" :D

Back