NOW PLAYING

They said it's a good album.

a1993760712_16.jpg

Okay, the fifth volume was cute. It was rather short (under three hours) and I liked the way it started, with Greatest Story -> Sugaree -> Shuffle (though I disliked Keith's solo - some sloppy playing, even for rock'n'roll, that is) -> Wind -> Jed. Good Lovin' was definitely weaker here. However, I was pleasantly surprised that Dire Wolf made its way into the setlist, for the first time in Europe. Also, the last five concerts combined were 15 hours and 22 minutes long, so what the fuck do you want??? :D

NP:

51MQC8y0JVL._SS500.jpg

(Grateful Dead - Europe '72: The Complete Recordings, Vol. 06: Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark (4/17/1972))

Just finished another relisten to The Chemical Wedding. This time I tackled it when all was dark, all was quiet, just me and the album - and my god is it absolute perfection.

Okay, the fifth volume was cute. It was rather short (under three hours) and I liked the way it started, with Greatest Story -> Sugaree -> Shuffle (though I disliked Keith's solo - some sloppy playing, even for rock'n'roll, that is) -> Wind -> Jed. Good Lovin' was definitely weaker here. However, I was pleasantly surprised that Dire Wolf made its way into the setlist, for the first time in Europe. Also, the last five concerts combined were 15 hours and 22 minutes long, so what the fuck do you want??? :D

NP:

51MQC8y0JVL._SS500.jpg

(Grateful Dead - Europe '72: The Complete Recordings, Vol. 06: Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark (4/17/1972))

There's excellent pro shot footage from this show at the Tivoli concert hall located inside Tivoli (a Danish amusement park in the central Copenhagen), they play a long with this somewhat by playing Big Railroad Blues while wearing clown masks towards the end of the set :D

So, the sixth volume... I liked the heartfelt rendition of Bobby McGee, Chinatown Shuffle seemed less lively but more coherent than the last time (though the piano solo was still meh), this version of Casey Jones was so lethargic it was actually funny (and it sounded like reggae at places!) and I was glad to hear both He's Gone and Johnny B. Goode this time around. The 31-minute Dark Star overstayed its welcome a bit, I admit and the 24-minut Caution possibly too, but that might be because they were on the same CD near the end of the set.

NP:

513Z2ANr5UL._SS500.jpg

(Grateful Dead - Europe '72: The Complete Recordings, Vol. 07: Beat Club, Bremen, West Germany (4/21/1972))

Back