NOW PLAYING

So, the fourth volume was the longest so far (three hours and twenty six minutes) and - while very enjoyable - it somewhat felt meandering in places. Luckily I didn't listen to it in one sitting but broke it down into smaller parts instead and it felt more manageable that way. It's weird, because I really enjoyed most of the performances, the tight El Paso, the excellent Good Lovin' -> Caution -> Good Lovin' sequence, the lively Saturday Night at the very as well as this version of Dark Star that managed to be "tastefully psychedelic" - being experimental at places, but much more coherent and enjoyable than last volume's Truckin'/Other One. It was also cool how they used the China Cat riff to join Not Fade Away and Goin' Down the Road. Maybe it's this general consistency, combined with the length of this particular concert that made it seem so "heavy". I think I might enjoy this one much more when I get back to it later.

NP:

51Ni-AycZfL.jpg

(Grateful Dead - Europe '72: The Complete Recordings, Vol 05: Stakladen, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark (4/16/1972))

Back