NOW PLAYING

Icon Of Sin - Legends (2023)

New album. Nice one, enjoyable listening. Very melodic, good and catchy material.

Highlights: the opener, ''Night Force'' (cool 80's vibe), ''Heart Of The Wolf''(!), ''The Scarlet Gospels''.
Good interesting ones: ''In The Mouth Of Madness'', ''Clouds Over Gotham, Pt. 2 - Arkham Knight''.

I see some comments saying that Maiden should do songs like these. Shorter and fast, I guess? For what? I mean, they've been there and done that. With all due respect, Maiden's talent and magic is unsurpassed. A song of ''Stratego'' level, for example, can't be found here. And the style leans towards power metal and Bruce solo albums vibe.

iosl.jpg

OTMtMzIxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

MzEtOTM4My5qcGVn.jpeg

1692127511845.png

First of all, I've always liked the cover art by François Quévillon, even though it feels like an obvious homage to Whelan's cover of Arise, maybe a bit infused with Roger Dean. But I find it really cool and cute.

Second of all, already the first song is full of signs the band is having fun playing this music. I don't hear that often in classic death metal records.

I'm not all that enamoured with Lord Worm's vocals (heh, allegedly he got his name from actually eating worms during Cryptopsy shows. Makes you wonder when did he stop - considering the bloke is about a year younger than my father, it just feels... hard to imagine as a long-term prospect of dignified frontmanship, I'd say), but the rest of the band makes it worth your while anyway. Levasseur's soaring solo on Open Face Surgery - despite sounding a bit like being copy-pasted from elsewhere; it doesn't really sound organically connected with the rest of the song - might be of interest to guitar afficionados around here. Same goes for the instrumental section in the middle of Serial Messiah.

View attachment 29150

First of all, I've always liked the cover art by François Quévillon, even though it feels like an obvious homage to Whelan's cover of Arise, maybe a bit infused with Roger Dean. But I find it really cool and cute.

Second of all, already the first song is full of signs the band is having fun playing this music. I don't hear that often in classic death metal records.

I'm not all that enamoured with Lord Worm's vocals (heh, allegedly he got his name from actually eating worms during Cryptopsy shows. Makes you wonder when did he stop - considering the bloke is about a year younger than my father, it just feels... hard to imagine as a long-term prospect of dignified frontmanship, I'd say), but the rest of the band makes it worth your while anyway. Levasseur's soaring solo on Open Face Surgery - despite sounding a bit like being copy-pasted from elsewhere; it doesn't really sound organically connected with the rest of the song - might be of interest to guitar afficionados around here. Same goes for the instrumental section in the middle of Serial Messiah.
The artwork makes me want to check them out.
Edit: Unfortunately not my cup of tea. :lol:

Back