NOW PLAYING

Listened to this yesterday and was blown away! Best traditional prog metal I've heard in a long time. It's like a super wacky mashup of Dream Theater, Haken, Seventh Wonder, Devin Townsend...and IDK a bunch of stuff. Really high quality material and expertly produced.

a2649739936_10.jpg

Listening to this today, and...it's solid, I guess? Richie's playing and riffs are absolutely stellar. I know Romero has a good voice, but honestly I think his melodies are a little weak. The opening track is an incredibly limp way to start the album. It gets a lot better from there. Cool cover of UFO's Lights Out, too. Apparently Scott Travis and Rex Brown supplied the rhythm section on the album and Sneap produced it, so of course it sounds perfect.

elegant-weapons-horns-for-a-halo.jpg

They must titled the album: Gym closed today, come back tomorrow please!
First Time I hear about this band. Is it a fake Manowar or …?
LOL. Very cheesy outfits, and all the band members used silly pseudonyms -- but this was the group fronted by Daniel Heiman (currently singing for Sacred Outcry, Warrior Path, and probably 10 other Greek metal bands) that made a splash in the early 2000s and has since achieved some level of cult status in power metal circles.

Awakening The World is pretty stellar for what it is (melodic, thrash-influenced, mostly minor-key power metal with high-wailing vocals), and A Flame To The Ground Beneath is almost as good. Lots of great stuff on there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a whole Highlander thing going on with the lyrics on both albums. Not sure what that's all about.

Last edited:
Isn't the mix not loud/powerful and clean (esp. the solos) enough?

The problem is the voice which is low and most important this muddy “sonic layer” everywhere.

Muddy is the word. There are good elements but no way I can rate this work as good due to those above. The distortions (clipping) I don’t mind, they are part of the charm.

Dio must be the only human on earth who doesn't like Stargazer. Here a vocal coach in awe with Dio's voice and delivery (also Richie's solo and all song's musicianship and structure)

55-theocean.png

Artist: The Ocean
Album Title: Holocene
Release Date: 2023 (Album No. 55)
Style: Metal
Rating: 4/5

Last edited:
Back