NOW PLAYING

Bark_at_the_moon.jpg

Better than I remember it, but other than the classic title track pretty generic
40th anniversary. Time to relisten

Maiden-influenced NWOTHM from the U.S. from 2020.
I've noticed that there are a lot of Maiden-influenced young bands nowadays. Some great song and good albums (as a whole piece, very rare), but I haven't heard yet a better Maiden-esque song than ''City Of Golden Gates''.

I've noticed that there are a lot of Maiden-influenced young bands nowadays.
Very true. Though these Glacier guys probably take as much influence from Metallica's first couple of albums as well, and they don't do much galloping. Some of the guitar tones and soloing are very much Maiden homage, though.

Let’s make it 8 albums then!

Difficult to beat if you ask me.
Well, first of all, I'd put Maiden's golden album run at 5 albums (TNOTB through SSOASS), not 7. The Di'anno albums just aren't as good as those 5.

I do think that Rush's 7-album run from A Farewell To Kings through Power Windows would almost qualify if it weren't for Signals in the middle. Signals is a good album overall with one stellar song and one great one, but the rest just isn't on the same level, IMO. And 2112 has a great title track, but a fair amount of filler later on.

Gamma Ray's 5-album run from Land Of The Free through Majestic is pretty fantastic. A hardcore fan might try to expand that to include Insanity And Genius and Land Of The Free II for a 7-album run, but I personally think that would be a stretch.

Megadeth's 5-album run from Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? through Youthanasia is also pretty great. (There are many great tracks on Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good!, but there are a couple of clunkers as well.) I don't personally understand the love for Cryptic Writings at all.

Some people might try to argue for Queensrÿche's 5-album run from The Warning through Promised Land, though I don't think The Warning and Rage For Order are on the same level as the next three.

Metallica had a great 4-album run from Ride The Lightning through the black album (though I think the black album was a couple steps down musically, it was executed so well that I'm OK including it). The vocals on Kill 'Em All are too terrible to consider that album, and Load has way too much filler, but there are probably people who would try to argue for Metallica's early run as a contender.

The run of albums argument I was making isn't a "personal preference" situation. I was talking about a run of albums that are generally considered to be great by a broad consensus of metal fans.

As, such whether individuals have the perfectly valid opinion that the Di Anno albums are great or not, the general consensus of metal fans and their reception when they were released is that they were great.

Similarly, the general consensus is that Gamma Ray are a minor enough band and therefore their albums would not be well known enough to be considered.

Rush would probably be outside the scope of the comparison in terms of genre.

The run of albums argument I was making isn't a "personal preference" situation. I was talking about a run of albums that are generally considered to be great by a broad consensus of metal fans.
And how do you determine that? Worldwide polling? An amalgamation of critics' reviews? Sales figures? Or just couching your own personal impressions of worldwide opinion as "people generally think"...?

I think you're pushing it a bit with Killing being a classic, and although I like Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings, they were past their best by that stage.

Production values aside it's considering a classic. See below for more details.

As, such whether individuals have the perfectly valid opinion that the Di Anno albums are great or not, the general consensus of metal fans and their reception when they were released is that they were great.

My main reference is the German Metal Hammer that somewhen in 1990 released the best metal albums of the decade (1980 -1989). This list became something like the bible for us metalheads in my country. Most bands i.e. Annihilator, Rush or Venom had one entry, fewer bands as Anthrax, Savatage & Black Sabbath had two entries and only a handful of bands had the max number of three entries: Judas Priest, Metallica (first three), Iron Maiden (first three), Motörhead & Megadeth.

All three Megadeth albums released by then were in that "sacred" list.

Artist: Tangerine Dream
Album Title: Atem
Release Date: 1973 (50th Anniversary)
Style: Ambient Electronic

Atem.png

Last edited:

Absolutely fantastic song from a great band I have seen live many times.

Shame all their albums after Modern Blues have been so weak. :( Thankfully, they were still great live the last times I saw them. I hope Steve Wickham (the Hendrix of fiddle playing) retiring from touring with the band does not affect their live show irreversibly...

Last edited:
Artist: Ken Hensley
Album Title: Past and Present (Songs in Time) A Ken Hensley Anthology 1972-2021
Release Date: 2023
Style: Prog Rock
(Cd 4 / 5)

cover.jpg

Back