NOW PLAYING

dod.jpg

Great, underrated and important album for the band. Why important?

Because of the songs in it:

Title track - masterpiece.
Paschendale - the second masterpiece on the album with an unusual structure for the band.
No More Lies - showed the power of the ''three-guitar attack'' more than any song on the previous album and has great and beautiful melodies, as always. Steve's mandatory strong epic on every album.
Journeyman - the only acoustic song in the band's discography. Also, the ballad of the album.
Face In The Sand - song with a double bass pedal.
Montségur - at the time it was one of the rarest songs of the band with heavy riff and at the same time it is very melodic. More heavy riffs will follow in the next album.
Rainmaker & New Frontier - two traditional catchy and melodic Maiden rockers that are mandatory for every album. Like ''The Fallen Angel'' and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' from the previous album.

Wildest Dreams - an attempt to write ''The Wicker Man'' or ''Futureal'' again, but it feels too simplistic for the band's standards.
Gates Of Tomorrow - typical sounding song for the album, but can be viewed as a filler.
Age Of Innocence - really atypical song for the band, sounds more like a Bruce solo song.

If we have to compare it with the previous album - Brave New World:

- anthemic title track, something very typical for Maiden.
- catchy short rockers (Wicker Man, Fallen Angel, Silent Planet).
- heavy use of acoustic guitar, but not throughout the song (Dream Of Mirrors).
- song with unique structure (The Thin Line).
- mini-epic song (Ghost Of The Navigator).
- the ballad of the album (Blood Brothers).
- two songs that carry the vibe of the previous album (Mercenary and Nomad).

View attachment 24667

Great, underrated and important album for the band. Why important?

Because of the songs in it:

Title track - masterpiece.
Paschendale - the second masterpiece on the album with an unusual structure for the band.
No More Lies - showed the power of the ''three-guitar attack'' more than any song on the previous album and has great and beautiful melodies, as always. Steve's mandatory strong epic on every album.
Journeyman - the only acoustic song in the band's discography. Also, the ballad of the album.
Face In The Sand - song with a double bass pedal.
Montségur - at the time it was one of the rarest songs of the band with heavy riff and at the same time it is very melodic. More heavy riffs will follow in the next album.
Rainmaker & New Frontier - two traditional catchy and melodic Maiden rockers that are mandatory for every album. Like ''The Fallen Angel'' and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' from the previous album.

Wildest Dreams - an attempt to write ''The Wicker Man'' or ''Futureal'' again, but it feels too simplistic for the band's standards.
Gates Of Tomorrow - typical sounding song for the album, but can be viewed as a filler.
Age Of Innocence - really atypical song for the band, sounds more like a Bruce solo song.

If we have to compare it with the previous album - Brave New World:

- anthemic title track, something very typical for Maiden.
- catchy short rockers (Wicker Man, Fallen Angel, Silent Planet).
- heavy use of acoustic guitar, but not throughout the song (Dream Of Mirrors).
- song with unique structure (The Thin Line).
- mini-epic song (Ghost Of The Navigator).
- the ballad of the album (Blood Brothers).
- two songs that carry the vibe of the previous album (Mercenary and Nomad).
To me it's a very good album less progressive than Brave New World. Even the fillers have some great moments. It's not good produced record, the artwork is absolutely bizarre with all that horrible 3D figures around Eddie. These are the beginnings of the new Art Director in the album cover because the inner concept photographs of the booklet are really good.

Masterpieces:
Dance of Death
Paschendale
–––––––––
Very good:
Wildest Dreams
Rainmaker
Montsegur
No More Lies
Journey Man
–––––––––
Fillers:
Gates of Tomorrow
New Frontier
Face in the Sand
Age of Innocence

To me it's a very good album less progressive than Brave New World. Even the fillers have some great moments. It's not good produced record, the artwork is absolutely bizarre with all that horrible 3D figures around Eddie. These are the beginnings of the new Art Director in the album cover because the inner concept photographs of the booklet are really good.
Yes, definitely less progressive than BNW. Every song is good imo except ''Age Of Innocence'', but it has some good moments. I can't call ''Face In The Sand'' a filler, I think it's a great song and a gem. The production is not that bad. About the cover, I don't understand why they didn't ''fix'' it for the 2015 remaster of the album, although it is authentic for the era. Really strange decision from the band. The photographs in the booklet are cool and something new for the band.

Wilderun - The Tyranny of Imagination

I think it's hilarious how glaring the Blackwater Park inspiration is in this song in particular. At least the first 2 minutes.

30STM_%E2%80%94_This_Is_War.jpg

So the story goes, as it did with Big Star. Criminally underrated at first, criminally overrated in retrospect, now unjustly forgotten.

I know it's been oft said and repeated that Blur were somewhat too sophisticated for their own good to have a true chance at winning the Great Britpop War against the dumber, but more superficially pleasing Oasis, but man, this is catchier than a venereal disease. Catchier than contempt for Upper Class Twits, even!

Back