NOW PLAYING

Nice to read your opinion on the album. A Design for Life is a superb song, the ultimate criticism about the patronising view of the working class that many held in the UK (and elsewhere).

Libraries definitely gave them power:

Refreshing to see bands with political views, it's kind of disappointing the more and more neutral approach, not to mention the wealthy gangsta style hip -hop's promoting.

Good point on libraries, my very early access to books gave me an insane confidence during the years I was completely broke.
In parallel of trying to save the physical libraries, it's worthy to consider a project to providing free internet ebooks. I think the copyrights are valid for x years (in Greece 70), after that a book or anything is becoming public domain.

@GhostofCain I listened Holy Bible + Manic Street Preachers Essentials (Apple Music Compilation)

Verdict: Holy Bible seems the absolute MSP album as far as I’m concerned. Its sound and feel is something else. It’s both aggressive and mature, raw and polished. Quite impressive.
Despite the small gap between the two, I wouldn’t say it’s the same group with Everything Must Go in a blind test.

Below the Compilation. Except the 3rd -4th albums, from what I’ve heard in the compilation, Generation Terrorists, Gold Against the Soul and This is my Truth seem to be quite solid for my taste too.

3EF276BB-8A6C-4963-B65A-C82C6805BB38.jpeg

@GhostofCain I listened Holy Bible + Manic Street Preachers Essentials (Apple Music Compilation)

Verdict: Holy Bible seems the absolute MSP album as far as I’m concerned. Its sound and feel is something else. It’s both aggressive and mature, raw and polished. Quite impressive.
Despite the small gap between the two, I wouldn’t say it’s the same group with Everything Must Go in a blind test.

Below the Compilation. Except the 3rd -4th albums, from what I’ve heard in the compilation, Generation Terrorists, Gold Against the Soul and This is my Truth seem to be quite solid for my taste too.

View attachment 24414

I really like Send Away the Tigers. It is a great comeback album after two uneven ones.

Many thanks, Send Away the Tigers is incredibly high for both, thus I'll try next.
I see you rank Gold quite low, from what I could tell, it's of my liking. Anyway, Tigers next :)

Ghost

1. Everything Must Go (1996)
2. The Holy Bible (1994)
3. Send Away the Tigers (2007)
4. Generation Terrorists (1992)
5. Journal for Plague Lovers (2009)
6. This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours (1998)
7. The Ultra Vivid Lament (2021)
8. Resistance is Futile (2018)
9. Postcards from a Young Man (2010)
10. Gold Against the Soul (1993)
11. Rewind the Film (2013)
12. Lifeblood (2004)
13. Futurology (2014)
14. Know Your Enemy (2001)

7th's son
  1. Send Away the Tigers (2007)
  2. The Holy Bible (1994)
  3. Generation Terrorists (1992)
  4. Everything Must Go (1996)
  5. This is my truth tell me yours (1998)
  6. Gold against the soul (1993)
  7. Resistance is futile (2018)
  8. Futurology (2014)
  9. The Ultra Vivid Lament (2021)
  10. Lifeblood (2004)
  11. Postcards from a Young man (2010)
  12. Journal for Plague Lovers (2009)
  13. Rewind the Film (2013)
  14. Know your enemy (2001)

71v4CpuyFwL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Many thanks, Send Away the Tigers is incredibly high for both, thus I'll try next.
I see you rank Gold quite low, from what I could tell, it's of my liking. Anyway, Tigers next :)

Gold Against the Soul is a good album, but I think it is too polished and the material is a bit uneven. The 4 singles outshine the rest of the material with the exception of Sleepflower.

That being said, there is no album from the Manic Street Preachers that I dislike.

Angra - The Rage Of The Waters

Great song. I can imagine it being a Maiden song. Catchy and memorable chorus, tempo changes, melodies/riffs/solos, drumming and bass playing on top and the instrumental section is pure gold - those melodies!!! :rocker:

I'm giving my limited edition vinyl its first spin.

Never_Neverlandin_kansi.jpg
Saw this tour. They played whole lp except my favorite (Imperiled Eyes). Met Jeff Waters after and asked why they changed singers between lps. He said "just something that had to be done ".

NP - Hollow - Walls of Confusion

(Swedish metal)

The disappearance of Richey Edwards probably had a lot to do with it, although some of his lyrics are part of the mellower moments of Everything Must Go.

This is a good read about the transition between the 4 piece line-up and the longstanding 3 piece line-up.

A shame that Richey Edwards was not around to enjoy the band's huge success in the late 90s. The band kept on putting royalties money aside for him (a quarter of the royalties earned by them).

Last edited:
Yep, a quarter of the royalties earned by the band were put in an account for him (I believe until he was officially declared presumed dead in 2008).

I didn't realise he disappeared before I read the above.

Manic_Street_Preachers_-_Send_Away_the_Tigers.jpg

Listening the Tigers now. Surprisingly good. The sound and feel are great. Songwriting it's very organic, like if they have nothing to prove. Songs just flow. I'm at Winterlovers and haven't listened anything below good yet. Who did the production? Let's see. Dave Eringa, Greg Haver, Loz Williams. Dave appears in most of the records. Not that I knew anybody. Anyway, good chemistry, definitely.

No way! A Working Class Hero cover! Goosebumps. Wow. I don't know what to say. Great listen.

PS: As I was reading fun facts in Wikipedia, I discovered that Plague Lovers are songs from Edwards and yes, produced by Albini!
This would be next in line :D

PS: As I was reading fun facts in Wikipedia, I discovered that Plague Lovers are songs from Edwards and yes, produced by Albini!
This would be next in line :D

Yes, Journal for Plague Lovers contains lyrics left to the band by Richey before he disappeared. William's Last Words is eerily prophetic. :(

I really like the album and it contains this cracking song, one of my favourites by the band.

Time to give the album a spin!

Back