Now Playing (Video Games)

I think I have a problem, I hate it when my mom is right, lol. Xbox had an un-Halloween sale of some of their horror titles and I bought a couple on my wish list at 50-75% off, so not bad.

One I've had on there for a while, Blackwood Crossing. It falls between Gone Home and Life is Strange. More than a mere walking sim like Gone Home, but the story and characters are not as inteeresting or engaging as Life is Strange. That being said it got really weird real quick and it is depressing as all hell. You're on a train and your little brother is being annoying, but then, in one of the compartments there is a boy in a sailor outfit and a rabbit mask. The train transforms into a garden, a greenhouse and a treehouse as you seem to relive memories with your little brother. You gain supernatural powers because.... well... because the script says so. The whole thing is like a dream sequence and it becomes painfully obvious as to why less than halfway through.

He's dead. He died in an accident and the game is aiding his soul to find rest and for you to properly mourn him.... like I said depressing as hell.

This one, like Gone Home is ALL about the story and just like Gone Home for most people that is not enough to get their money's worth or even call it a game. If you liked Gone Home, but felt it lacked a touch of Donny Darko, you might like it, otherwise skip it all together.

I'm having a better time with the second purchase, though not without it's faults. It's called Through the Woods. It's by a Norwegian developer and the game offers audio in English or Norwegian, but subtitles in other popular languages. From the sound of it, the same voice actors voiced both languages. At any rate, you are a 30-something mom with a 9-10 year old son and decide to take a holiday in a cabin in the woods. Your son is taken by an old man and you chase after them.... Through the Woods. See what I did there?

At first it feels like another walking sim as all you have is a flashlight and you can only crouch or run aside from interacting with collectibles. As night falls it gets fairly creepy and then you see it. A troll! It's slow, dim witted and you can easily avoid it. It isn't scary, but it was surprising to see that mythological creatures are starting to bleed into the "real world." the Moon is fractured and some documents warn of a witch that haunts the woods and hates the light. That's when shit gets real, I'm walking down this path and I hear this screeching, by the time I turn around it's too late, I'm dead. Upon a second run, as soon as I hear the screech I turn my light to see this hideous creature stalking me, waiting. It gets close, but is frightened by my flashlight. I keep walking hearing various noises around me, grunts, screeches and howls. As they get close I look back to find this... THING only a few feet away. I reach a check point (after dying like 4 times), it all fades to black and I start at a new location and can't turn back. Thinking I'm safe I walk slowly exploering the area. Then I hear it. a low growl. I start looking for the source of the sound and it doesn't take me long to see THE SAME CREATURE still following me! Fucking creepy. I decide to run for it and finally I lose it. I've also faced off two wolf brothers who debate on the best way to hunt, kill and eat me. Pretty cool stuff.

My only complaint is that everything is too empty. You find multiple wooden houses with no one or nothing inside. My quest continues to find "Old Erik" who wants to feed my son to the World Eater Fenris.

Got Ace Combat 7 on deep discount as a palate cleanser for the RDR2 doldrums. Kind of shocking to realize that combat flight sims have become so rare that this and War Thunder are about the only options for this genre on PS4. There’s occasionally an IL-2 Sturmovik game here or there, I suppose, and of course there are some space combat “flight” sims, but they aren’t really the same.

Anyhoo, the regular story mode is typical Ace Combat, serviceable and arcadey. My main curiosity was around the VR mode, and I have to say it works extremely well, though it’s slightly uncomfortable to the point where I can only do a couple of missions before I need to stop. Not from feeling pukey, but from feeling dizzy and headachey. That said, while it’s going it’s great. Being able to look around and keep enemies in my line of sight while turning to meet or avoid them adds a whole new dimension to the game. I may try to fiddle with the comfort options to see if I can get a better result, but I’m guessing the discomfort is just endemic to fast rotation and looking one direction while turning in a different one with your body staying physically stationary. At least it’s not pukey like Dirt Rally VR...

Played a lot of Ace Combat 7 last year. Great game! Don't know if people are still playing online, but those dogfights were the best...

Reactions: Jer
One of my favorite NES franchises is Double Dragon. I love this series, second only to Mega Man. I clearly remember my brother and I Playing the first NES game at a friends house. I remember, because this was before I even knew how to read and I had to guess which was the story mode and which was the single player duel mode. Eventually we owned Double Dragon II and Double Dragon III.

The Original Doubld Dragon was a decent port of the arcade original. One that, sadly, I never got to play. By all accounts the Arcade is revered as practically a perfect game. From the sprites, the action, the moves and the twist at the end. The WAY less powerful NES just couldn't compete, but it's still a very good game. Many ports of the arcade original have been attempted, but again, at least according to the reviews, they all fall short in some way or another. The best way to play it is with an Arcade Emulator. Because I never played it and have no nostalgic longing for it, I've never done so.

Double Dragon II is a different story though. The arcade sequel seemed to be nothing more than a remake of the first and painfully short with only 4 levels. The NES port again did it's own thing, but improved on the first AND the arcade by having better sprites, co-op play and expanded the story by having 9 missions. THIS was my jam when I was a kid. The Double Dragon theme is iconic, but I was never a fan of the sequel's remix. I do, however, LOVE the end boss theme. That shit is epic! Everything about that fight is amazing. Intimidating boss? Check! Epic setting? Check! Kick ass musci? Check! Super slow mo ending? Check! Simply brilliant.

Double Dragon III is probably the most controversial in the series. The arcade game was nothing more than a micro transaction quarter muncher, before micro-transactions and pay-to-win were a thing. There was a port to the Genesis which wasn't any better. Once again the NES to the rescue. We are greeted by a better mix of the theme song, the best in the series, a new story with Bimmy and Jimmy having to hunt down some maguffin and off we go! With just ONE life! and you die in the first part of the first level! Yup, this game is legendary for it's spike in difficulty. This turned off a lot of people to a really good game. I actually embraced the challenge of a harder game. It has a lot going for it starting with a few new move and the fact that some of your foes join your party to destroy the ring, er, um, I mean to save Marian (in this game spelled, Marion). There is also a trick in which if you play co-op B (you can harm Jimmy) you can defeat Jimmy and have him join your party too. While the level designs are a tad blander than in II, I like the variety in settings. Japan is awesome, and Egypt has to be my favorite with it's variety of fighting and plataforming. Point is, if you stick it out, it's a very rewarding game.

We don't talk about Super Double Dragon or Double Dragon V, fuck them both.

Why do I bring this up? I recently got Double Dragon IV. It's in the vein of Mega Man 9 and 10 in it being a new game with the retro feel and not really living up to its predecessors. It also suffers from what most digital only indie games in that sometimes the punching/attacking sound effects sound like scratches. This game gets mostly negative reviews for it's lack of imagination. The levels are fairly uninspired, but I do like some of the new enemies. There's one guy that looks like John Casey from the Ninja Turtles. The new music is also sub-par for the most part. However, let's face it, what this game does it does well which is give you a new-old Double Dragon game that hits all those nostalgia sensors in your brain. The new mixes of the old tracks are on point, the sprites are on point with their DD II aesthetic and performing moves is easier than ever having modern controls with a bajillion buttons. The best part though is this survival mode called "The Tower." You go from room to room beating people up, it has 100 floors and so far, the furthest I've gotten is floor 81. I consistently die around floor 60. I love this mode for several reasons. 1. it's mindless beat 'em up action. 2. It's a challenge. 3. You unlock characters you can use in any game mode. and the best part? Levels 30, 35 and 40. The first big surprise is floor 30, it's the old Ninja dojo in Japan from Double Dragon III! And your oponents? The bosses from China, Japan and your shadow self from DD II! On floor 35 the floor looks like the final level of the original Double Dragon and you get to fight the original Jimmy along with your shadow self and a few other enemies. By far the best is level 40. It's made to look like the last level of DD II, your oponents are DD II's Final boss, your shadow self, Jimmy from DD I and a couple of other lackies. All while the theme from that fight plays in an amazing remix! Not to mention you get to hear that track for the next 10 floors! I've paused the game to let that song play on loop. Sadly that's where the surprises end as they just recycle them for the remaining levels.

Could it have been better? Not by much. Slightly better original music and level design wouldn't fix what is now seen as repetitive game play. There's a reason we don't see pure beat 'em ups anymore. The few that I do see don't appeal to me at all for that reason. Darksiders is basically no-more than a beat 'em up/hack 'n' slash, BUT it has a deep story and zelda like dungeon crawling and puzzle solving. DD IV? Just punch them in the face man, and that's good enough for me.

Due to the limited free time I have lately, my go to games have been DDIV and Road Redemption. I can play quickly and ultimately nothing happens if I don't win a race or beat a floor of the tower. I keep dying around floor 60 in DDIV, but with Road Redemption something odd happened. At first it was insanely difficult. Took me FOREVER to finally beat it just once. Took me a while to win with the next rider, Nitro Punk, but in the last two days I've beat it with Gordon Gekko after 4 tries and with Nathan Algren on the first run. So much has to do with luck, since the tracks and objectives are randomized. I got very lucky with Nathan Algren as I got next to no beat x amount of people races. Mainly finish 3rd or better or beat the clock. What sucks about losing races is that they take health away permanently. So even if you progress you're weaker, lose enough races they can one hit kill you. So yeah. Even so, great replay value with both so far.

Finished up the story mode in Ace Combat 7. Pretty good, though a couple of missions had nasty difficulty spikes, and after I got the F-35 it became a cakewalk on Normal. It would also appear that the late-game “flying underground through tunnels” mission is now de rigueur for the series.

Still need to finish up the VR mode and try out multiplayer. I might give it another playthrough on hard sometime to unlock the X-02 for shits and giggles, but my backlog is serious enough that I may not have the bandwidth for it.

So much for my RDR2 procrastination, I guess. Feels like a chore to play that game sometimes.

Finished up the story mode in Ace Combat 7. Pretty good, though a couple of missions had nasty difficulty spikes, and after I got the F-35 it became a cakewalk on Normal. It would also appear that the late-game “flying underground through tunnels” mission is now de rigueur for the series.

Still need to finish up the VR mode and try out multiplayer. I might give it another playthrough on hard sometime to unlock the X-02 for shits and giggles, but my backlog is serious enough that I may not have the bandwidth for it.

Can't remember, but I think multiplayer yielded more credits by a factor of like ten.... Haven't finished the story mode yet.

Edit: Got stuck on mission 08 and the idiotic sandstorm-thingy.

Edit: Got stuck on mission 08 and the idiotic sandstorm-thingy.
The final trucks are always really close to the border of the sortie area (ENE part of the map). That one annoyed me too.

Tried another VR session and this time I needed to roll a lot and that got pretty nauseating. Had to stop after one attempt. Too bad, because in the abstract VR should be a great fit for a combat flight sim…

I will try it again sometime. It's just that I played through the first part like 6-7 times and then failed. CHECKPOINTS, people...

As a Swede, I was happy Gripen E was great in MP.

Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown free with PS Plus? There goes any hope of catching up on my backlog…

Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown free with PS Plus? There goes any hope of catching up on my backlog…
That's where I'm at with DOA 6: core fighters. It was free and one of the four selectable players is my main gal, Hitomi so I've been beating the living shit out of everyone lol.

Also just cruising through Lego Batman. Easily the best Lego whatever game I've played so far. I like that not only do you get 15 main Batman and Robin missions, but you then can play Villian missions.

Finally made it to floor 100 on DDIV.

Downloaded a free indie game Free for GOLD, the King's Bird. it's a Celest clone. So far I have to collect a specific number of birds while jumping/gliding through metroid-like tunnels. Very relaxing, oddly.

I also dropped 3 bucks on Dead Space: Ignition. There are two reasons you get this game. You LOVE Dead Space and/or LOVE puzzle games. That's all it is, hacking puzzles. Think AC IV and AC rogue hacking computer mini games. I happen to like both Dead Space and retarded puzzles so I had a blast and made my way through all the scenarios in one afternoon.

I'm seriously counting the days to the end of the semester so I can power through Dead Space II.

That's where I'm at with DOA 6: core fighters. It was free and one of the four selectable players is my main gal, Hitomi so I've been beating the living shit out of everyone lol.
Yeah, that’s what it was like for me with Jacky in VF5, calling on 25+ years of muscle memory to do some ass-whooping, at least until I got through the kyu ranks and into the dans…

I was uploading grades to the university platform aaaaand it crashed. So what did I do with the rest of my Saturday? Buy Scott Pilgrim vs. The World at discount within my current game budget of course. AAAAAND, what a let down. I blame it entirely on hype. I thouroughly enjoyed the movie and thought a video game was an obvious logical extension of the Scottverse. The love and care that went into it is obvious, from the Super Mario World overmap, the Double Dragon and Mega Man 2 references with a dash of Streets of Rage. BUT the combat system is as bad as those 80s games and for a "modern game" that's just bad. It also suffers from Fallout 3 difficulty as in, INCREDIBLY hard at first, but once leveled up you can pretty much cruise through it even at the highest difficulty.

We all know about the mythic status this game garnered due to being one of several games that were no longer available after its original release. They said it was due to licensing issues from the music, except... the music is just 8-bit video game music. If it's 8-bit versions of original works by "real" bands I didn't recognize any of them. Sooo... that was also a let down. I've heard that this game is at its best when playing multiplayer with friends and I can see that potential, but I still feel like I should've just bought Mad Max, Alan Wake's American Nightmare or the Tomb Raider collection instead.

My RDR2 procrastination continues, having picked up The Outer Wilds, Falcon Age, and Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock on deep discount.

Outer Wilds takes a few hours to reveal its coolness to you, but it is so very cool once it does. Definitely putting most of my gaming time into this at the moment when I’m not pwning n00bz as Jacky in VF5:US.

Still early in Falcon Age, but it’s a nice VR experience, and the bird mechanics are simple and work well. The physical combat is also pretty satisfying.

Only did the tutorials in BG: D, but this looks like pretty rich turn-based combat in an underused setting. I’m hoping the base campaign is pretty meaty, because this looks like a DLC-fest of extra content, and that’s a road I’d rather not go down.

Last edited:
I'm done TODAY with finals and just have to upload grades... I'm counting the minutes lol, so I can start digging into Dead Space 2 in peace and other games I want to give my full attention to. It'll be a good summer. I'm giving a private TOEFL prep course to stay busy (second summer in a row no summer session), but aside from that, going to get through a couple of books and a few games.

Don’t play video games at all. My last game was CS:GO. Spent almost 2K hours. I think if I had invested that time studying the guitar, I would have been a rockstar now xD At least I’ve managed to sell CS:GO skins for PayPal and get some money, but it wasn’t worth it.

Last edited:
Don’t play video games at all.
Also Brock:
My last game was CS:GO. Spent almost 2K hours.
So you don't play ANY MORE, but you DID play at some point. Fairly common. My brother hasn't touched a proper video game in years. Sure he's recently played Sid Meir's Pirates! GOLD, which I installed on his laptop, but that´s pure nostalgia.

I went through a dry spell from 15 to 23. A friend gave me his old xbox, I had two games for it, rarely played them anyway. Then I got my own xbox 360 when I was... 27? 28? Eh, around there. Well, I'm back into gaming completely.

Also Brock:

So you don't play ANY MORE, but you DID play at some point. Fairly common. My brother hasn't touched a proper video game in years. Sure he's recently played Sid Meir's Pirates! GOLD, which I installed on his laptop, but that´s pure nostalgia.

I went through a dry spell from 15 to 23. A friend gave me his old xbox, I had two games for it, rarely played them anyway. Then I got my own xbox 360 when I was... 27? 28? Eh, around there. Well, I'm back into gaming completely.
I'm 23 now xD

I find it really difficult to get rid of the addiction. The next thing is gonna be social media :D

Metroid 5 "Dread" has been announced and some gameplay footage shown. It looks quite OK. Up front, I'm not a fan of a quite some features I've seen in there. Still I bought a Switch yesterday. I don't know what I'm going to do with it until September.

Back