Now Playing (Video Games)

Finally I also got Ori and the Wisps or something like that for a deep discount, which just added to my back catalogue.

Both installments of Ori are among the best stuff I played for quite some time. Very hard, very rewarding, very enjoyable, emotional, beautiful. A small wonder, you're in for a treat.

I managed to finish Red Dead Redemption 2, finally (the storyline, overall completion is about 89%) and started playing the first one, but... well, I also started the 2 once again from the beginning. I just couldn't help myself. It was a very unique experience and the replay makes it all the more better.

Meanwhile, wifey convinced me to start AC: Odyssey even before I finished Origins (she said that limiting myself like this makes no sense, really), so I'm playing that one and I'm completely smitten by Kassandra. Her, Bayek from Origins, the kids from Plague Tale and about half of the cast of RDR2 really stand out among the video game characters overall for me.
Otherwise it's more like more of the same after Origins, only with more combat and Greece instead of Egypt. But I'm completely fine with that - if it ain't broken...

Both installments of Ori are among the best stuff I played for quite some time. Very hard, very rewarding, very enjoyable, emotional, beautiful. A small wonder, you're in for a treat.

I managed to finish Red Dead Redemption 2, finally (the storyline, overall completion is about 89%) and started playing the first one, but... well, I also started the 2 once again from the beginning. I just couldn't help myself. It was a very unique experience and the replay makes it all the more better.

Meanwhile, wifey convinced me to start AC: Odyssey even before I finished Origins (she said that limiting myself like this makes no sense, really), so I'm playing that one and I'm completely smitten by Kassandra. Her, Bayek from Origins, the kids from Plague Tale and about half of the cast of RDR2 really stand out among the video game characters overall for me.
Otherwise it's more like more of the same after Origins, only with more combat and Greece instead of Egypt. But I'm completely fine with that - if it ain't broken...

Indeed. My strategy to get games for free through Gold or deep discounts has really opened my landscape to games I would otherwise pass up, this one being one of them. I invited a friend over for a three day weekend we're going to have thanks to Day of the Dead and he's bringing Red Dead Redemption. He may never get it back lol, but can't wait to start it.

Simply put, one of the best video games of all time.
That's the word on the street. I started it.... still getting a handle on the mechanics, how exactly to go about things, but like Sunless Sea, I feel I'm going to get lost in it's world and events fairly easily.

Still playing Sunless Sea and the Disney collection on ocassion. Finished both Ducktales games, probably will play Darkwing Duck next. While I don't have much time to play at the moment and I'll have less as the semester comes to a close, I have, however, taken advantage of more deals and kept buying games on my wishlist that have gone on sale for 60-70%. Latest purchases include Don't Starve, Alien: Isolation and Little Nightmares. Thought about adding South Park: Fractured, but whole to the list, but don't want to wrack up my credit card on nothing but video games lol. I've been buying and uninstalling them, basicallly keeping them in the back burner for when I do have the time to play them. Most likely during our big breaks (Winter, Holy Week/ Easter, and summer).

Finished both Ducktales games, probably will play Darkwing Duck next.
Have you ever heard of Ducktales: Remastered? It improves upon the original game in every way possible. The graphics, mechanics and music are better, there are a few extra levels, and it even has voice acting!

Have you ever heard of Ducktales: Remastered? It improves upon the original game in every way possible. The graphics, mechanics and music are better, there are a few extra levels, and it even has voice acting!
I had Ducktales Remastered on my 360 wishlist. Don't know if I'll get it anymore.

So, I was already halfway through Dying Light, but I left it for such a long time I had to start over (didn't know what I'm supposed to do and kept dying). However, call me a cynic, but the current situation made me want to play it (same with Fallout 3), just as I started watching Walking Dead again.

Also still playing Origins, Odyssey and re-playing RDR 2. And Super Mega Baseball 2 and Madden 20 from time to time as well.

Oooh, and Stardew Valley. I'm currently in my first winter.
Never liked that type of graphics, never liked simulators or tycoon-style games etc., but still I love it very much.

Yesterday I purchased the Baba Yaga DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I did it because, well... it was $1.50 and I've been dying to play it for years. It took me 1.5 hours to finish it, I spent a cent per minute. THAT is money well spent. No way I would have enjoyed it this much had I paied the ridiculous full price. Also, I've noticed a few "Remastered", "Definitive" and "Ultimate" editions and collections on sale lately. A point I'll get to in a second.

First, this DLC was EXACTLY what I thought it'd be. It was fun, engaging, great, while predictable, story, and visually compelling. Only two complaints, really. It was too short (another point I'll get to shortly), and the by designed forced back tracking.

Now the deeper rant. I've noticed that most of the DLCs I've purchased for AAA games like RotTR are criminally short AND criminally expensive. I've seen countless memes and youtube critiques about how "In MY day we used to get FULL games." or "DLCs were FULL adventures." This makes me think of say... Diablo II and Starcraft. Diablo II was a great game, bigger, more immersive than Diablo I AND the Baal expansion (what now would be a DLC) is a FULL new episode. Starcraft was amazing and the expansion, Brood Wars, is a full game, not just an "extra" mission. These games, upon release were about 50-60 dollars, usual AAA prices, the DLCs were 20 bucks. GREAT value considering the content. NOW you get what some of you have described as the "vanilla version" of a game upon release for 60 bucks and within a year you get an additional 20-40 dollars worth of DLC (or more) which COLLECTIVELY adds over 7 hours of gameplay, but if you are not intersted in all of it OR, like myself you get it many years later... is not enough.

Had i shelled out for the DLC when I first played RotTR I would have played the "full game" and spent tens if not at least 100 of hours on it. But I have long finished the main game and 100 percented every area of the map. I've slowly but surely gotten the DLCs I've wanted to play and I only get between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours worth of adventure.

to the point of these... "ultimate" editions being deeply discounted. Due to my financial situation (being poor) AND the fact that I no longer feel the obligation to play every game upon release (still haven't purchased Mega Man 11, for example), I rather wait. Sure some of these games are over a decade old, but I've notice even newer games (AC: Genesis and Odyssey) going cheap quick and already including all DLCs. The only loss to the waiting strategy is one is left out of the conversation as the rest of the world plays it which can lead to some spoilers. But aside from that... fuck it. Imma gonna wait from here on forward.

Reactions: Jer
I bought Rise already on sale with Yaga included and although I liked it a lot (actually, story-wise, it was probably the most interesting thing of the whole damn game), I'm not sure I'd want to shell out more bucks just for it. But I'm glad it was there.

AC:Odyssey I also bought on sale as "Deluxe" (probably, I think?), because it had the DLCs and the remaster of 3 which I wanted to try out (and honestly, the remaster is great, been enjoying that one a lot).

But so far I only specifically bought separately very few DLCs, for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas (I haven't even played them, I'm still only about halfway through 3, but I've been told they're pretty good) which were dirt cheap and then for AC: Origins, because I absolutely love the game and again - I'm still finishing the original game, so I don't even know if they're any good, but they were on sale and I reckoned I'd possibly want to prolong the (admittedly already pretty huge) experience.

As for the DLCs I might be thinking about - The Outer Worlds I still haven't finished, short as it its supposed to be, and although good, I'm not sure I'm gonna be in a mood for more content from that one, so I'll probably let that one slip.

Now Eternal Doom (which, again, I still haven't finished yet - see the pattern there?) that might be interesting, because when I actually get around to play it (and the previous 2016 installment), it's fiendishly catchy and fun and I might be thinking about it...

...but no, I'm saving up for Valhalla and Cyberpunk and I already extended my allowance because of the quarantine and I don't want wifey to hate my any more.

Haven't touched my PS4 or my Switch since May, or perhaps June...
It doesn't seem like it, but my playtime has dropped as well. Even with the winter break coming o don't think I'll hit the highs I did during the initial lockdown.

Not experiencing any lockdown over here. My profession is business as usual, which is weird when I talk to my friends who've worked from home since March...

Not experiencing any lockdown over here. My profession is business as usual, which is weird when I talk to my friends who've worked from home since March...
That's what I mean, during our lockdown and then the extended "vacation" we had due to the university trying to figure out how to proceed I had A LOT of free time and spent WAY too much time playing video games. But as soon as we went back to work that dipped dramatically. I don't expect to reach those kinds of levels again, especially since I've made it a point to schedule some reading time specifically to stay away from any kind of screen, be it phone, laptop or TV.

So, Valhalla is really good and quite different - actually, each of the three big RPG AC titles has been quite distinct as to its feels and gameplay. Origins is still my favourite (and will remain so, because it has just too many things clicking with me completely), but I'm enjoying the other two quite a lot.
(Male) Eivor isn't as enthralling a protagonist as Bayek and Kassandra were, but you still get to like him. It feels less bloated than Odyssey, so the gameplay time might be actually more manageable and while it's less focused on stealth than Origins, it feels less heavy on combat than Odyssey, or at least it plays out differently. The autumnal medieval England is really beautiful (with the early Norse intro it's generally definitely the closest to a Tolkien vibe of the AC titles so far :D), despite the fact it's obviously aimed at next-gen and on my Xbox One it looks a tad worse than O&O.

Beside that I left the cloister in Kingdom Come: Deliverance - still a very cool passage of that game. Like, living with medieval monks, having a strict schedule, attending laudes and vespers etc. As a whole the game is much more amateurish - the movement and controls are clunky, the graphics aren't as great (or maybe I'm now just spoiled by all those AC games, which really look like a well done, expertly put together, likeable mainstream product), but the game still has its charm.

And Stardew Valley, of course.

After finishing the murder desk I have a hard time continuing with L. A. Noire, the game is possibly a tad too long and I'm getting slightly frustrated with the unpredictability of some of the "correct" answers - anyone else had this problem? Or am I really that thick?

I've played through Borderlands 1 for the first time. I have a huge backlog on the PS4 to finish before I hopefully can anticipate an upgraded version of the PS5.

I've played through Borderlands 1 for the first time. I have a huge backlog on the PS4 to finish before I hopefully can anticipate an upgraded version of the PS5.
Man, I remember Borderlands being a grindfest at first, but it does eventually pick up. Borderlands 2 is a huge step up. The Presequel is pretty fun and I'm still waiting for the price to come down on the third one which has gotten mixed reviews.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
I still haven’t come back to this game after playing it for about 5-7 hours, and now I think it’s doubtful I ever will. Something about it never quite clicked with me, I guess.
L. A. Noire, the game is possibly a tad too long and I'm getting slightly frustrated with the unpredictability of some of the "correct" answers - anyone else had this problem? Or am I really that thick?
It’s been a long time since I played that game, but I remember being frustrated with how it interpreted the “Truth”, “Lie”, and “Doubt” options in some cases. Cole’s reaction sometimes wouldn’t at all match what I expected.

Had a weird experience with a mobile game yesterday — I downloaded Chain Cube, which is one of those iterations of Threes / 2048 that does physics-based merging. I played for a while and was enjoying myself, but I never came even remotely close to losing. I got cubes up to 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, and still not a hint that I might run out of space. Got it up to 32768, still no concern. I was enjoying it well enough, but it was starting to get tedious, and I kept thinking it would have to get more difficult eventually, because it never advanced the playable numbers (you always got starting cubes between 2 and 64). I finally hit 65536 with no end in sight, so I intentionally failed out and quit. I don’t want to think about how many hours I spent on that in the end — and I had the weird experience of playing a game that I enjoyed, but that I will only ever play that one time because it’s so easy that you can’t get a challenge in a playable slice of time. Did they not play test this thing effectively, or am I just a 2048 savant? I think the former.

Man, I remember Borderlands being a grindfest at first, but it does eventually pick up. Borderlands 2 is a huge step up. The Presequel is pretty fun and I'm still waiting for the price to come down on the third one which has gotten mixed reviews.
Now is a good week as any. I just saw a Black Week offering of it for €13.

Now is a good week as any. I just saw a Black Week offering of it for €13.
yeah... that's still 378.18 pesos.... I've been buying games for AT MOST 115, but mostly 80 pesos or less. So 400 pesos y still out of my budget. Not to mention Season Pass is 950 and season pass 2 is 574. Not to mention the one on sale is the vanilla version. The "next level" edition is 1350 and the "ultimate" is 1916.... Soooooo I'll keep waiting for better deals. They do come eventually, even if I've had to wait a couple of years for some of those lol

Back