Now Playing (Video Games)

So both Sony and Microsoft have announced prices for their Nex gen. Both versions with optical drives are 500 dollars/Euros (499, but whatev). Sony's digital version is 399 with Microsofts being 299. I have to say, I'm excited. I'll probably wait a year to see the prices drop even further and maybe get an increase in HD storage and get both digital versions for maybe 300 bucks. That's the plan anyway, dreaming is free lol.

!FINISHED!

Plague Tale: Innocence
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bioshock
(the original one)

Currently mainly progressing in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 3, LA Noire, Assassin's Creed: Origins and Far Cry 5.

!FINISHED!

Plague Tale: Innocence
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bioshock
(the original one)

Currently mainly progressing in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 3, LA Noire, Assassin's Creed: Origins and Far Cry 5.
I've seen mixed reviews about plague tale, what are your thoughts on it?
RotTR is one of my favorites, but Shadow... underwhelming.
The Batman games.... just couldn't get into them, found them a tad boring, might revisit them later. Bioshock though... oh man, I am super giddy, because I was able to repurchase the collection super cheap and I do plan on retreading 1 and 2.... not so stoked about Infinite. I did enjoy the DLCs of Burial at sea though. Probably will play those again.
How you linking AC: origins? I'm excited for Valhalla, but still undecided on Origins and Odyssey.

I 100% Juju yestarday. I found all the portals, got all the coins, finished all unlockable levels, etc. Really fun game.

I'll probably wait a year to see the prices drop even further
I pretty much always wait a year until they get the kinks out of the production process. First-run consoles tend to have issues. Got completely hosed on a first-run PS3 myself.

I’m also interested in seeing what Sony does with their next-gen PSVR, which will probably drop in about a year.

Picked up Super Mario 3D All-Stars. I'm playing Mario 64 currently, which is just as good as I remember it (which is to say excellent with mild pangs of annoyance from the camera). But I am really anticipating Sunshine and Galaxy - I know many people don't love Sunshine, which is fine, but I still want to play it, and I've heard so many good things about Galaxy.

I've seen mixed reviews about plague tale, what are your thoughts on it?

Well, it's rather easy, more about the graphics and the atmosphere, like, halfway to visual novel already, but it was the same with LA Noire or Layers of Fear in that regard, so I don't really mind. The atmosphere is really cool, the French Medieval feelings are strong, the characters are interesting, the relationship between the characters is very believable, I had a crush on the protagonist. A very cool game, but I'd recommend getting it when it's on sale (like I did). I was satisfied, however, from what I heard it's what I'd want from The Last of Us, if I wanted to play that and if I could (that is, if I was not commited to XBox). But maybe I'm wrong about that, never saw even a let's play video

RotTR is one of my favorites, but Shadow... underwhelming.

I liked 1 and 2 a lot, Rise was a bit too... "snowy" to my likings (I am more for my adventures happening in the warmer geographical areas), though the Baba Yaga subplot from the DLC was way cool. I like Shadow so far as well, I have a little crush on the new Lara as well, so I probably won't be disappointed. Could it also be that you come from the cultural geographical area the game is supposed to kinda be about? Or was it the story, the game mechanics... ?

The Batman games.... just couldn't get into them, found them a tad boring, might revisit them later.

I liked it for what it was (and I got the whole trilogy real cheap, too!), it was a comics experience for a guy with a life. (I don't have the time for reading comics anymore, sadly - especially when everything is a whole-company crossover nowadays etc.). I enjoyed collecting the riddles, the story was predictable, but well put and the general atmosphere was cool. I'm looking forward to the second installment.

Bioshock though... oh man, I am super giddy, because I was able to repurchase the collection super cheap and I do plan on retreading 1 and 2.... not so stoked about Infinite. I did enjoy the DLCs of Burial at sea though. Probably will play those again.

I got the whole trilogy, too, and I played it for the first time (late, I know, but what can you do). I enjoyed the philosophy behind it (as I hate capitalism and libertarians with a passion), I enjoyed the gameplay mechanics, the visual style and the twists (I expected and predicted the main one, but I still enjoyed the way it was done)... but near the end it really grew off me. (about the becoming Big Daddy time). Like, it was a bit too same-y. In fact, I had about a six month pause before I finally finished it today. But that's mostly a personal preference - I admit it's one of the "must-play" games, nowadays possibly more than in the 00s.

How you linking AC: origins? I'm excited for Valhalla, but still undecided on Origins and Odyssey.

Origins is not only my favourite AC game, but the only AC game I'd recommend to pretty much anyone. My reasons:

- Lessened importance of the ovearching plot - I always found the main Templars vs Assasssins plot to be a tad stupid and this game does pretty well without it

- the Egypt is just wonderful. It's a small wonder to behold. Ubisoft always did well with lightning and the visual side of things, but this is simply the new level

- also, the Egyptian themes are neatly interwoven - there has been a lot of care put even into the Egyptian religion side of things and also the historic connections and so on - it's just such an awesome game as a whole

- for me it has the most compelling protagonist and storyline (the historic one) - Bayek is very family-oriented, nice, down-to-earth guy that seems to be honestly pious (to the Egyptian gods, but nonetheless), has an strong relationship with his wife etc.

- the sidequests were fun.

- some of the game mechanics are better than in Odyssey, IMHO, no automatic scaling-up of enemies (you CAN turn it on, but you also can turn it off), still at least a bit "assassin-ny" in its approach etc. Also of all the AC games I like the scaling up, the fighting, the inventory etc here the most. Oh, and the parkour is just wonderful to behold.

It's like the AC games were perfected over time - the older installments are sometimes a tad too rudimentary to my tastes, Origins hit the perfect spot with me.

Picked up Super Mario 3D All-Stars. I'm playing Mario 64 currently, which is just as good as I remember it (which is to say excellent with mild pangs of annoyance from the camera). But I am really anticipating Sunshine and Galaxy - I know many people don't love Sunshine, which is fine, but I still want to play it, and I've heard so many good things about Galaxy.
WHAAA? I've heard nothing but praise for sunshine, and it looks great. When (yup, when, not if) I get a switch it's one I' hoping to get.

I pretty much always wait a year until they get the kinks out of the production process. First-run consoles tend to have issues. Got completely hosed on a first-run PS3 myself.

or 1st run Xbox 360s... Red ring of death, anyone? lol

Well, it's rather easy, more about the graphics and the atmosphere...

Nice... I'll keep AC origins in mind...
You know, I thought I'd like Shadow of the Tomb Raider becaue of the setting and the visuals and towns were awesome. LOVED that it opened in Mexico lol. But.... the sidequests... the ENDLESS sidequests, the wooden exchanges.... the villian left A LOT to be desired. So mainly story, is what got me down. Also, a question I've always had and one even my GF brought up after watching me play them, What happened to Sam? TR2013 built her up as Lara's BFF and the guy you bring back is the COOK? Don't get me wrong, Jonah is likeable, but whatever happened to Sam? Oh well.

Your observations on Bioshock are what most people experienced. Even Ken Levin admitted he sucks writing endings. Bioshock 2 gets criticized for doing a classic retread, even though they did improve on the mechanics AND explored other areas of Rapture. It's my favorite, especially Minerva's Den.

So this just happened, Microsoft has purchased Bethesda.... This video summarizes it as well as any other:

Very excited about this collection. Tried Mario 64 a few days ago and it holds up as my favorite Nintendo game. I never finished Sunshine back in the day, there were things I enjoyed about it but the water mechanic often got in my way. Plus, no Mario game since 64 has really had that same magic except maybe Odyssey.

As an aside, the 2D all stars is also available on the switch and it’s still as awesome as ever. I’m also still discovering new things: didn’t know I could warp from word 1 to world 8 in Mario 3.

The two flutes on world 1? Yeah I figured that one recently (from YT) too. We'd pick one and then save it until world 7(?) or so.

I always went straight to world 3. I didn't know there were two flutes.

All of the retro gaming stuff going on is just amazing! It's wonderful that so much of that generation is around to keep it alive.

Sigh, I've fought 2 bosses in Breath Of The Wild and they were disappointingly easy. I can't seem to get much into it lately. However, the experience I've had so far has been VERY VERY MUCH worth my investment.

Everything in BOTW is awesome except for the four "dungeons" and their respective bosses. Hoping they fix that up in the sequel.

I picked up Shovel Knight last week. It's a fun platformer, even if it is a little too "Mega Man" for my taste. The bosses are the best part of this game! They're very pattern-based, but you can usually get by with just reflexes if you're good enough.

Quite frankly, I'd recommend this game for the soundtrack alone - genuine NES music, composed by Jake Kaufman!

Everything in BOTW is awesome except for the four "dungeons" and their respective bosses. Hoping they fix that up in the sequel.

While dungeons (with a couple of exceptions) have never been my very favourite thing Zelda games, I too hope that they'll beef 'em up for the next one.

I quite liked the Forgotten Temple - as an idea: while not quite a dungeon, it's a huge place underground, perfectly integrated to the open world. There's a huge potential in places that. That kind of semi-dungeons/temples of sort would work very well in the sequel. So maybe a couple of places like that and some huuuuge dungeons - more on the classical Zelda style - thrown in.

Last edited:
Replaying Bioshock. All my info was saved from when I played the physical copy. Aparently I was playing a new game plus version, because I had a saved game with all the weapons and upgrades and already in Fort Frolic with Sander Cohen. What is also weird is that I'm missing basic achievements. I've played it twice (this is the third), but somehow only now did I get the achievement for completing Cohen's masterpiece.... I don't have the achievement for saving/harvesting all the little sisters and while the game says I don't have the achievements for fully researched spider, houdini and nitro splicers, when I try to take their picture it says subject is fully researched, no photo taken... ooookay, so why did you let me finish researching the bouncer, little sister and security bot? Don't mind playing it again to get those, though.

Also considering getting monthly game pass as 5 or 6 games on my wishlist are on it. I can essentially get them for a dollar. If I keep it then it's 10 bucks a month... thats 220 pesos... can't do that at the moment and don't know how easy it is to unsubscribe so not going to do it just yet.

Picked up Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War Definitive Edition for $12, and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for $18, because I’m a sucker for deep discount sales, I guess. Add those to my shameful backlog along with Far Cry 5, Nioh, several PSVR games, and of course Red Dead Redemption II.

Making good progress on Phantom Doctrine, though. Haven’t figured out how to keep my hideout danger level from constantly increasing during the midgame, even if I aggressively take out Beholder cells, so now I’m always looking for new hideouts and saving enough money to try to keep moving every time I’m in danger of being discovered. Makes it hard to accumulate enough money to accomplish anything else, though.

I like some of the tweaks to the X-Com formula that Phantom Doctrine offers. No randomly missed shots, just semi-randomized damage. Adjacency trumps cover. Stealth options and disguises are viable approaches if you make the time to scout the battlefield in advance. You can brainwash enemy spies and send them back into the enemy fold with a codeword to awaken them in battle and make them turn traitor. You can also be double-crossed yourself. The intel mechanic, where you unlock certain tech and story advancement by analyzing documents and associating codewords between them until you unlock the larger picture is pretty clever, although it’s trivial to brute force it. It’s a nice change of pace.

Been playing the System Shock remake Pre-Alpha. Honestly, it's looking great so far but my 1050TI doesn't get along with all sections. Hopefully there will be some better optimization when it's fully released (supposedly late this year),

Oh man, I just disappeared for a bit. I have been submerged (pun intended) with Sunless Sea: Zubmariner Edition. This game is.... amazing. It's a polished version of a web game called Fallen London. You have a ship and travel this world you die... a lot, you can pass on some things to the next captain or a lot of things if you get to write a will. Anything can kill you, pirates, sea creatures, going insane from fear, going hungry, running out of gas, etc. It's like Pirates! Gold on steroids and in a way a tad easier. The hand-me-down component, plus the fact that you can set up aconsistent network of trade routes makes it a tad easier. In Pirates! I always ended up stuck, because towns would refuse to sell to me and I had already plundered the rich towns to death. Not here. You can also choose several ways to "win." Either find your father's remains, be the richest navigator, the most famous navigator, etc. Some quests overlap, but depending on your ambition you get specific tasks to "win." If you win without manual saves you get an achievement... it is VERY hard to do that because well.... you die all the time. I found a game breaking cheat. Simply exit to the menu and reload your last autosave. This has allowed me to keep my current captain the longest and actually get somewhere beyond the initial exploration and missions.

There have been INSANE discounts lately on the online store. Fallout games are dirt cheap and so are the expansions. Considering getting the ones for Fallout 3 since I have the physical game, but not the New Vegas ones. I was able to get The Return of the Obra Dinn which has been on my wishlist for a while and got The Maid of Sker for free with games for Gold. I also got the Disney afternoon collection for next to nothing which is made up of all of their NES games from 1989 to 1994. That's Duck Tales, Chip n Dale, Darkwing Duck, etc. I finished Duck Tales already and working on Chip n Dale. These games are very hard at first, but once you are familiar with the mechanics and patterns they become a little easier.

Finally I also got Ori and the Wisps or something like that for a deep discount, which just added to my back catalogue.

Back