Now Playing (Video Games)

Recently played a beautiful game, Seasons After Fall. The original version is in French with English subtitles, but the version I played was already fully in English. By beautiful I mean the artwork is amazing. You play a fox exploring a forest collecting the power of the seasons, yes jut like Zelda Oracle of Seasons. There's no combat, just plataforming and puzzle solving. Outside of the artwork it has little going for it. It's short (about 5 hours), the story is next to non-existent and only one of the puzzles can be consisered challenging.

However, it was exactly what I was looking for, something to keep me busy without having to think too much or be overwhelmed with side quests. So the impresionist inspired artwork and the string quartet soundtrack was perfect for me. Here's the trailer:

That art style reminds me a bit of Okami, which is available on Steam. Sadly I never got far with Okami cos I couldn't get comfortable with the controls. But it is a very pretty game.

So the PS5 was officially announced and it was... underwhelming. The reveal itself was meh, I thought the PS itself looked cool and stylish, reminded me of the xbox 360 reveal. Yet no price was announced and no mention on the hyped backwards compatability. Xbox already said they were all in on it with the Xbox series X, what will Sony's response be? I like that there are two versions with the digital one most likely being a hundred dollars cheaper.

The memes are out comparing the Switch to a toaster, the Xbox to a minifridge and the PS5 to a router. I'm still going to wait a few years before deciding which one to get.

I didn’t watch the PS5 announcement, but for me it’s an easy choice — I have big philosophical problems with Microsoft, I like Sony’s exclusives better, and I have a PSVR rig that will continue to be supported on PS5, so for me the choice is already made, and it’s just a question of when I’ll take the plunge.

Finally finished Horizon: Zero Dawn last night and started on the Frozen Wilds DLC. This was a very solid, well-crafted game, though it did have some pacing problems. Large parts of the story are conveyed through text and audio dumps at a handful of spots in the game, and done in such volume that they start to get boring. The quality of the main missions goes up and down as well, and the last section of the game feels a bit rushed. But I thought the machine enemies were varied and interesting, and you had to put some thought into how you dealt with the tougher ones, doing some planning and mixing up your tactics.

I got 60+ hours out of my playthrough of the main game, so that was good value already. Not sure how long the DLC is, but it looks like the map is about 1/5 the size of the main map, so maybe 10-12 hours? There’s also New Game+, but I’m going to be fully burned out on this by the time the DLC is done.

I suppose it’ll be God Of War next after this, though The Last Of Us Part II will sorely tempt me...

So the PS5 was officially announced and it was... underwhelming. The reveal itself was meh, I thought the PS itself looked cool and stylish, reminded me of the xbox 360 reveal. Yet no price was announced and no mention on the hyped backwards compatability. Xbox already said they were all in on it with the Xbox series X, what will Sony's response be? I like that there are two versions with the digital one most likely being a hundred dollars cheaper.

The memes are out comparing the Switch to a toaster, the Xbox to a minifridge and the PS5 to a router. I'm still going to wait a few years before deciding which one to get.
I will admit I thought it hilarious that the first game they announced was GTA V. Like, ok, when is Skyrim porting to PS5? We all wanna know...

PS5 will be bought when GTA 6 is coming, no other use for it although i am hyped for Horizon

I like Sony’s exclusives better...

That's the conclusion I came to years ago. Sony and Xbox aren't fighting over "bits" like Nintendo and Sega did in the early 90s. Both rigs are impressive. It comes down to which exclusives you like better. A friend of mine introduced me to Halo ages ago and we played on his 360 more than on his playstation 2. I never got comfortable with the controls for the playstation and none of the exlcusives really called to me. If the backwards compatability becomes a reality it just might tip] the scale to the PS5 favor since I'll have 25 years of games to get through. Mainly God of War and Uncharted, but there are others as well.

[quote
Finally finished Horizon: Zero Dawn last night and started on the Frozen Wilds DLC. This was a very solid, well-crafted game, though it did have some pacing problems. Large parts of the story are conveyed through text and audio dumps at a handful of spots in the game, and done in such volume that they start to get boring. The quality of the main missions goes up and down as well, and the last section of the game feels a bit rushed. But I thought the machine enemies were varied and interesting, and you had to put some thought into how you dealt with the tougher ones, doing some planning and mixing up your tactics.

I got 60+ hours out of my playthrough of the main game, so that was good value already. Not sure how long the DLC is, but it looks like the map is about 1/5 the size of the main map, so maybe 10-12 hours? There’s also New Game+, but I’m going to be fully burned out on this by the time the DLC is done.
[/QUOTE]

Just watched The Completionist's run of it on Youtube and he gave the DLC a big thumbs up. The game definitely looks great and he praised the game play.

I will admit I thought it hilarious that the first game they announced was GTA V. Like, ok, when is Skyrim porting to PS5? We all wanna know...

Yup, thought the same thing. You're introducing your NEW, NEXT GEN console with.... an old game... mkay.

So not even 2 weeks into my promise of not buying new games aaaaand, I faultered lol. I bought Child of Light Ultimate Edition. The basic game was like 50 pesos or so, and the ultimate edition was 73, so.... sign me up.

The game description is farily scant, it simply says, "An Adventure based on fairy tales." Ok, I'm a fairy tale fan. So you play as Aurora (sleeping beauty), it takes place in the 19th century and you are the favorite child of some duke in Austria. You die (not a spoiler) BUT you wake up in the land of Lemuria. I only know of Lemuria thanks to Therion and their brilliant 2004 double release Lemuria/Serius B. It reminded me of Del Toro's Pan's Labrynth. You spend most of the game, is this real? Is this a Dream? And by "you" I mean Aurora. The Queen of Night, Umbra and her daughters, Crepusculum and Nox have stolen the Sun, the Moon and the Stars plunging Lemuria into eternal night. You are tasked with getting them back. So season one of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic lol.

This game is REALLY good. All the expectations I had for Slain: Back from Hell, were met and in some instances surpassed. Slain is supposed to be based on Heavy metal, but the world doesn't look very... Metal-y. The creatures were very generic skeletons, witches, hellhounds, etc. The "Metal" soundtrack was a very generic chuga-chuga-chuga and the boss fights didn't feel epic and the music didn't help. The graphics were cute, but again... safe.

On the other hand, Child of Light looks GORGEOUS with water color animation, the whole game looks like a story book. The music is beautiful with a mellow piano track as you traverse the world and becoming intense orchestral during fights and it just becomes EPIC during major boss fights. The animations, settings and music of those final fights against the Queen and her daughters were EPIC, just amazing. I was even won over on some aspects I initially scoffed at. It's an RPG and like any classic RPG you have a party of companions. As you travel you recruit two clowns (well, jesters), a dwarf mage, a robin hoodesque mouse, a golem, an amphibian lizard girl, and what looks like a Japanese Oni warrior. While fairly new to turned based RPGs, I normally settle on three characters and forget the rest. Later on in the game I found myself rotating the ENTIRE party. The clowns were the quickest casters, the dwarf mage's magic was VITAL in some fights and it added great depth to the strategizing. When the first clown joined I thought, "you're fucking kidding me?" Later I was, "Get in there you damn clown! Tag in!"

So in short, I was very pleasantly surprised by this game for which I had low expectations for. Fairy tale fan, RPG fan, unorthodox are style fan... pick it up.

Also, FINALLY got a game that's been on my wishlist for YEARS, The Bridge, got it for a dollar, again... couldn't help it. Now back to my back catalogue of FEAR, OUTLAST, KOTOR, Fallout 3 (second run) and Bully.

Finished up the Horizon DLC, and I think the PS4 God Of War will be up next.

Tried out the Iron Man VR demo and it was pretty cool. The control scheme is unusual, since your hands are your directional thrusters, ranged weapons, and melee weapons all in one, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I liked it enough that I‘ll probably check out the full game when it comes out.

Also picking away at my VR backlog of Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Tetris Effect, albeit slowly.

Staring at the rest of my backlog and still feeling a bit hopeless about it:

Red Dead Redemption II (Maybe 7-10 hours in)
Nioh
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
(About 10 hours in)
Tempest 4000 (about halfway through)
Dangerous Driving (about halfway through)
The Exorcist: Legion VR (one chapter in)
Final Fantasy XV: Monster Of The Deep (a few hours in)
Megaton Rainfall (maybe 2/3 done)

I’d love to play The Last Of Us Part II, but at this point I might as well wait until the price comes down or the multiplayer is released, since I already have too much in the queue.

I completely forgot that I finally made my way through Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia. It wasn't as bad as the reviews make it out to be. The three chronicle games, China, India and Russia were criticised for using locations that would have served better for mainline games, wasted potential and not the best gameplay. Eh, nice time killer in 2.5D with a greater enphasis on stealth. What REALLY bothered me was that the story revolves around Anastasia. Now... AC has NEVER been historically accurate, calling it historical fiction is being VERY generous. HOWEVER, They still wove their fiction around actual events without changing the outcome. Why did the U.S win the civil war? Thanks to the Assassins! That kind of thing. These people actually existed, those were the actual results, work with that.

This premise would have worked for me if the whereabouts of Anastasia were still a mystery. BUT they no longer are. Her grave was found, she's confirmed dead SINCE 1917, it was known when the game was made, so to PRETEND that somehow she did indeed escape and lived a full life in hiding is.... insulting.

After running through it I watched gameplay of Chronicles: India and I was floored to the similarity to the original Prince of Persia. Ubisoft, after all, is the studio that revitalized the franchise and thought up AC based on PoP. That's when the gameplay and style "clicked" for me, as a throwback. Whether that was their original intent or not, haven't found something either way. While I didn't mind it, can't recommend it, even for die hards.

After downloading it as a free for GOLD game like... 3 years ago or so, FINALLY powered through OUTLAST. what began as a chore ended up being a really cool experience. Took me a while to get used to not being able to fight back. I'm used being able to fight back a little even if it's just a stick or wrench. Not being able to do that outside of scripted sequences was hard, run and hide, that's it. Once you fall into the rythm and strategy it becomes quite fun, at least for me. If you like survival horror definitely pick it up, the ending was such a WTF moment I looked up reviews on the sequels and was dissapointed to see they don't refer to the original again. The second is a completely different story, different journalist, location, etc. The third, supposedly out next year, looks like a prequel of sorts. But this firstgame was really good, doesn't even look or feel like an indie game. It's relatively short, the gameplay is slightly under 3 hours, but as you die/hide/explore it can take longer or WAY less, seen some speedruns around the 40 minute mark.

On an odd note, Xbox One has an easy to see chart of how many achievement points you've accumulated month to month and how you rank with your friends. I normally have 150-200 points per month. In May? 2400. June? 4400+. Didn't feel good, felt like a slap to the face... I've decided to pick up a book, half way through, should be done with it in the next couple days.

I bought the itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality a few weeks ago, which means... Celeste!

This game is amazing! It's a platformer, my favourite genre, and the controls are smooth and responsive. It's simultaneously the easiest and hardest game I've played; easy because of one-screen challenges and no life system, but the challenges themselves are brutally difficult and take up to several dozen tries to complete. The graphics are beautifully vibrant pixel art, and the music is a treat for the ears. It tackles its central themes of anxiety, depression, and self-discovery well, with memorable characters and a strong script.

This game deserved all the positive reviews it got.

Celeste was really good, I did everything you could possibly do in it, got all the collectibles etc. Definitely lives up to the hype

I bought it, played several levels and never picked it up again. I will eventually.
Did anyone play The Messenger? Ninja Gaiden style. Great game, great soundtrack.

After recently learning what the game is, I ABSOLUTELY HAD to order a used Wii U and copy of Breath Of The Wild. The systems I have are Xbox 360, PS2, a Gamecube, and N64 and I emulate older stuff.(I'm finally at Maridia in Super Metroid. Got lucky and found the map right away.) So, I'm not caught up on the Zelda series at all, but I'm more excited about this than anything! And after placing my order last night, I just learned how big the overworld is compared to other Zelda games so that's going to be insane exploring a super huge Hyrule. I'm so hoping this will be worth the $120 I have invested. I can't wait to play!

After recently learning what the game is, I ABSOLUTELY HAD to order a used Wii U and copy of Breath Of The Wild. The systems I have are Xbox 360, PS2, a Gamecube, and N64 and I emulate older stuff.(I'm finally at Maridia in Super Metroid. Got lucky and found the map right away.) So, I'm not caught up on the Zelda series at all, but I'm more excited about this than anything! And after placing my order last night, I just learned how big the overworld is compared to other Zelda games so that's going to be insane exploring a super huge Hyrule. I'm so hoping this will be worth the $120 I have invested. I can't wait to play!
From all accounts I've read/seen it will be. I played the original Zelda and the Oracle games for gbc. But I have seriously considered getting a switch lite solely for breath of the wild and the remake it f links Awakening.

Didn't care much for Breath of the Wild. It's not a Zelda game. It's a GTA clone set in a Zelda universe.

Didn't care much for Breath of the Wild. It's not a Zelda game. It's a GTA clone set in a Zelda universe.
Zelda not being Zelda has been a critique since the second game and I've never played GTA. What I've noticed people complain about is that the shrines and dungeons are too short and simple due to the open world approach and no real sequence. While you can skip some dungeons in the original Zelda and finish the game just fine, an order is implied.

Breath of the Wild is a top 3 Zelda game. It’s the closest thing to a true Zelda experience since the original.

Back