Now Playing (Video Games)

Well, around 30-35 hours later, I'm finally finished with Spyro: Reignited. Can't remember the last time I was sad to finish a game. :(

But now, after about 4 months of talking about it, I've bought MegaMan 11. It's as brutal as the originals...

Decided to Download the Gold game of the month: Bloodstained: Curse of the moon. A blatant indie Castlevania clone. Even the animation is 8-bit inspired. You make 3 allies along the way, each with their unique weapons and powers. I played in "Casual mode," just to give it a run through, as "normal" is more similar to Castlevania with knock-back damage from enemies and limited lives (casual gives you infinite lives). I finished it in just under 2 hours. The replay value comes in, once you have all your allies, you can access areas of the game previously closed off to you. I liked it, might give it more playthroughs. A nice break from Darksiders, Tomb Raider and NHL18.

Love me some Castlevania. Portrait of Ruin on the DS is one of my favourite games of all time. Bloodstained sounds very interesting, I'll give that a go after MegaMan.

I got Shadow of the Tomb Raider for Christmas, looking forward to starting that too. What one are you playing?

Picked up Darksiders 3 this weekend and finally defeated Gluttony. Finally have all the Hollows (powers) and it took for EVER, but I'm actually starting to have fun. It reminds me of other action RPGs where you have your three classes of charactes with one being the strongest, one fairly balanced and then your mage, the weakest. Yet if you power through it and level the mage up well, they end up the strongest, untouchable character. I'm not untouchable, but the upgrades are VERY noticeable. I don't die every two seconds anymore, so being able to explore for longer periods of time withouth dying has definitely added to the fun factor. Even challenging fights are no longer frustrating, because I can normally survive them, even if barely.

I reached a point in the game where I am tasked to kill a demon by the lord of hollows and that demon asks to be spared and for me to kill the lord of hollows intead. I killed the demon, cuz, well... he's a demon. When I returned to the lord of hollows he doubles down on our last interaction where he stated, "only one of us will leave our next encounter." Well shit, even though I had the option to spare him, I chose to kill him too. I'll kill the demon and spare him on my next playthrough to see if he gives me another upgrade, but I was afraid he'd get stronger and I'd have to fight him anyway. LOL, Shoot first ask questions later. Works for U.S cops, it works for one of the 4 horsemen, HEYOOOO!

I'm going through a weird "either retro or it looks retro" phase. My last two weeks have been Dwarf Fortress, Wasteland Classic, Stardew Valley and Final Fantasy VI. Stardew is quickly becoming the crack I think about at work instead of being productive.

I'll be checking those out. Still want to get Shovel Knight and other retro metroidvania types.

MegaMan 11 is in the can. Tough, but as the game went on I realised it wasn't quite as tough as the originals. The infamous Yellow Devil returns and I managed to beat him without cheating and in only a few tries. I must've fought the one in the first game nearly 100 times (not an exaggeration, I counted around 70 consecutive attempts at one point) before having to resort to using a cheeky checkpoint in the middle of the fight so I didn't have to keep doing it over again.

The Microsoft Store had Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon for free today, so I've just started that.

Plowing through Bloodstained. Been playing it in short bursts, got onto Stage 7 today. Found it pretty easy once I got going and gained some allies. I like Purple Whip Lady the best, she seems to move a little quicker, has better range with her attacks and her subweapons are the most useful. Boss fights are challenging, but enjoyable. They have this "last stand" move, if that's what you wanna call it, where they try to hit you with one last super powerful attack before dying, thought that was an interesting dynamic.

Plowing through Bloodstained. Been playing it in short bursts, got onto Stage 7 today. Found it pretty easy once I got going and gained some allies. I like Purple Whip Lady the best, she seems to move a little quicker, has better range with her attacks and her subweapons are the most useful. Boss fights are challenging, but enjoyable. They have this "last stand" move, if that's what you wanna call it, where they try to hit you with one last super powerful attack before dying, thought that was an interesting dynamic.

She's my favorite too, but from youtube reviews I've read, the protagonist ends up being the best character AFTER defeating your allies. Haven't gotten around to that part of the game yet.

I plowed through more of Darksiders III, had a serious WTF moment! I seriously have no idea what comes next, I thought I had defeated all 7 Deadly Sins and the games pulls an interesting switcharoo. I seriously don't know what happens next. I'll spend a bit of time grinding for souls and making sure I didn't leave any stone unturned, before continuing with what should be the last section of the game.

Finished the Normal mode of Bloodstained. Final boss is a pain. Note - find the Alchemist's lightning ball weapon thing, it's basically impossible without it.

The fact I have to divide my attention between work, my wife, all the responsibilities at home, school etc. I realise that all those wide-open-sandbox games take reeeeeealy long to finish.

I'm currently in (or near) the middle of:

- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Witcher 3

- Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- GTA V
- Tomb Raider
(the remake)

...and I'm playing some of those for over a year. I just can't seem to finish any of those.

I still haven't played Skyrim, although I bought that one in December along with W3.

Got Just Cause 4 on sale.

Of course, not a good sign considering it was released in December 2018. But, Just Cause (2006) and Just Cause 2 (2010) are some of my favourite games of all time, so I couldn't pass this latest release up (especially since I didn't play the third game). As it turns out, it's not as charming as the old games. Just Cause had bugs and stupid AI-behaviour left in because it was hilarious. This game has them because it's not a finished product.

Still decent fun, but compared to the feel of Just Cause 2 this is just sub-par in most areas. Time will tell if I put 100+ hours into this.

Back