Now Playing (Video Games)

There are more exciting and fun video games (GTA V, in particular), but Red Dead 2 is pretty darn impressive. You really do get the sense of inhabiting a complete world.

I'd be interested in playing if it didn't take 20 hours to download, isn't it something like 100GB? Crazy.

Though it might be worth it just to feed people to crocodiles.

Indeed. Probably none of the audio or textures are compressed.

Red Dead looks really cool. I never played the first one so I wasn’t really paying attention to the sequel until the game came out and there was footage/reviews all over the Internet.

I’m a bit busy with the new Spider-Man game though, which is so awesome.

I'm replaying Darksiders and I recently purchased Darksiders 3 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Couldn't find them used so I had no money left for Mega Man 11. Also replaying the Ezio AC games. I might pick up Genesis and Odyssey at some point.

Just finished replaying Darksiders. Man, I love this game. Decided to repurchase (only 20 bucks), Darksiders 2 and give that a run prior to getting to Darksiders 3. I'm not going to replay the Tomb Raider games, but I am still plodding through the Ezio Saga in ACII/Brotherhood/Revelations. Almost done with II again, stuck in a specific memory assassination assignment. I have to kill some dude on a boat without getting detected, but can't seem to get on the ship without that happening. Rather unforgiving mission. Gonna have to look at a walkthrough.

At any rate almost done with my AHL season on NHL 18. I might give that a whirl while I take a break from these other two games. I have to take advantage that I'm on vacation, once the semester starts I will have little to no time for games.

Got the Spyro: Reignited Trilogy for Christmas, started it yesterday and I'm about 60% through the first game already. Pretty straightforward but loads of fun, and so so beautiful, it really benefits from the upgraded visuals. Must admit I don't recognise much so far, can't have played it as much as I thought. Definitely played the hell outta the second and third games when I was younger, they used to be some of my favourites.

I bumped into a video about Spyro not long ago. Talk about a sleeper hit. I had never heard of it and all three games got great reviews and they all look like a lot of fun. What platform did you get the trilogy for?

I finished Darksiders I and I decided to download Darksiders II and play through that before starting III. The game play is so different. I remember not liking it at first. Everything I loved about the first was practically gone. The ominous, epic music, the ever present serious tone and enthralling story. DSII was... not that. The music is beautiful, cinematic even, but not ominous or exciting. The world is MUCH bigger, MUCH more open yet it feels like a stroll in the woods rather than a literally do or die situation. Even with all of that, it is very fun to play and the style grew on me. I am enjoying it much more this second time around.

Still working on my AHL season with the Tucson Roadrunners in NHL18. I'm about 16 games away from finishing the season and statistically doing really well. Once I'm done with this season I'll start an NHL one. Can't decide if I'll create my own 32 team in the league or play an existing club, but definitely doing NHL.

I have ACII on hold as I am stuck on an assasination on a boat in which I can't be detected. I'm pretty sure I can whistle to attract the guards that keep spotting me, but haven't tried it as of yet. Too caught up with NHL and DSII. I also have Shadow of the Tomb Raider waiting in the wings. Unlike with DS I am not trudging through Tomb Raiders I and II to "catch up." Not that I didn't enjoy those games. I did, immensely, but I may not have the time. I got assigned one more class this semester, so that'll be 4 classes M-Th and one Saturday class. Playing time will be greatly diminished and I do want to get to it some time this life time lol.

Been playing through Shenmue II for the first time in its PS4 remaster incarnation. I had the original Shenmue for the Dreamcast back in the day, but the sequel only got released for the original XBox in the U.S., which I didn’t have.

Gotta say, II is a much bigger and better game than the original, and I liked the original a lot. More fighting in this one, and the DNA of Virtua Fighter is very obvious here. Really looking forward to Shenmue III to finally wrap up the story in late 2019.

I bumped into a video about Spyro not long ago. Talk about a sleeper hit. I had never heard of it and all three games got great reviews and they all look like a lot of fun. What platform did you get the trilogy for?

Yeah, think it was only a few weeks back that I knew anything about it. Got it on the Xbox One, so pleased they released it on this console, unlike the Ratchet and Clank remasters, would love to play those games again.

Only negative I have against Spyro is the lack of option to turn off inverted controls for the Flight levels. I hate hate hate that, I've never got on with inverted flying.

I think I have already mentioned that I like Heroes of Might and Magic series (and King's Bounty). In that world, HoMM3 is the masterpiece. Game and its official expansions were developed between 1999 and 2000.

The first unofficial expansions soon came out...already in 2004 there was a full featured "hack" of the game where a Russian team injected a script language into the game files, and with that scripts you could control and extend the game. This made a boom in player base which drew more HoMM3 players to WoG (Wrath of Gods) version than to official sequels of which the successor, HoMM4, is absolutely haram. 5 was better but 9/10 Heroes players was playing WoG, and so on.

Now well into the 2010s, someone makes a static unofficial expansion called Horn Of The Abyss, but it has modern internet multiplayer built in. Another bunch of people remade the engine and created a HD launcher that, apart from fixing the obsolete graphics ratio, also removes any glitches that were present with the interaction of old graphics engine with modern OS. It works out of the box.

In 1999 I've played hot seat with my bunch of school buddies on old tube screen. HoMM3, in its graphical essence, is a late DOS game style. Couple of days ago I've played against an unknown human foe somewhere on the globe in HD resolution. I find that fascinating.

So now I can true multiplayer classic Heroes 3 in HD, or I can play WoG in HD. There is also 3rd unofficial option called VCMI, which is a complete open source engine clone. It is still not 100% compliant and can crash every now and then, but it can be compiled for anything - so now I can also play classic Heroes 3 on my cellphone.

This is my favourite game from late childhood/early adolescence period. You know that stuff stays for life. And now just by the power of its niche fan base, the game that has been officially abandoned and surpassed two years after being released, is alive, networked, and runnable anywhere. There were 1000 people active on the server at that moment days ago. And yeah the moment when I registered with user/pass/e-mail the modern way, in those old runic GUI elements of the game, was priceless.

There is official Steam HD version released few years ago. It sucks.

Yeah the GOG version I think is called Heroes 3 complete and it's the old full game (Armageddon's Blade + Shadow of Death). I never played the Steam one but I remember that I saw how they remade the units and it looked awful.

Did you try King's Bounty, the new ones (2009-)? It's like single player heroes

maxresdefault.jpg

Excellent RPG. Recommendation for any, even slight fan of the genre. Fight is in essence the same as Heroes, cause Heroes were inspired by original KB game from 1994. Fight mechanics, especially magic, is much more developed and better in this game. There are very small changes that open up so much more tactics - ranged units require only one action point to shoot, meaning you can move and shoot in the same turn. Thus the usual easy HoMM3 block the ranged units by flying/hasting something to them doesn't work. In KB, you just step back and then shoot. So, more units are needed to block a single ranger from shooting. Many small details akin to this open up many more possibilities in combination. For us Wizards, the peak here is Higher Magic, allowing you to cast two times per turn, some limits apply. You can resurrect and destroy in same turn, nerf enemy and buff your units in same turn...there is another source of casting under your control on the battlefield, like four spirits, or pet dragon, and a lot of units cast stuff too.

Basically it's better HoMM but the problem is single-player only. Replay value is limited. As I'm writing this I recall all the advanced mechanics of the game and powers you can acquire and the graphics and the insane magic play, but I cut myself short of installing it again because I remembered the early game grind - it is tedious.

I have a few of them on Steam and I have played somewhat, but never managed to get into them.

Really? Did the gameplay just bore you out or there is something in particular you dislike?

Back