Now Playing (Video Games)

I downloaded the Legacy Collection (MegaMan 1 - 6) last year, crashed through them in about a month. Those games are brutal. Not going to lie, I had to cheat in one place... or two.

What are the later games like? Them not being 8-Bit put me off playing them. Silly I know, but I like the charm of the 8-Bit era. :D

I'm with you on that. I played 7 and didn't finish it. Made it to Wiley's castle and just kinda... forgot about it. I have the legacy collection as well and I keep going back to 2, 3 and 4. I didn't really like 3 when I was younger, but it is becoming my favorite, amazing soundtrack (IMO better than 2) and great Robot Masters.

I also agree with LC that X1 is a GREAT game in the non-8 bit era. Sadly the sequels drop off in quality quick. Outside of Hockey, Mega Man is an obsession of mine lol.

I have the legacy collection as well and I keep going back to 2, 3 and 4. I didn't really like 3 when I was younger, but it is becoming my favorite, amazing soundtrack (IMO better than 2) and great Robot Masters.

I'd probably put 2 and 3's soundtracks on the same level, but yeah, they're both incredible. I love 8-Bit music too.

This track is awesome, Snake Man's theme:

That was awesome. What is it about 8-Bit music that makes it work so well as a heavy metal track?

Have you ever played Shovel Knight? Brilliant game with a killer soundtrack:

That was awesome. What is it about 8-Bit music that makes it work so well as a heavy metal track?

The other way around. 8-bit or 16-bit is just sampling width it doesn't dictate composition and these compositions were inspired by rock or metal.

There’s a pretty good video on this:

I think Zare is half right. It’s more that heavy metal had a heavy influence on some of these video game composers. Lots of power chords and straight energetic beats because it is appropriate for the games. The square and triangle waves can also be easily manipulated to have a similar gritty tone to an electric guitar. I disagree that it doesn’t dictate composition though. The NES chip restricted composers to only 4 voices that were mostly based on simple waveforms and noise (samples were brought in late in the NES lifespan and only occupied one channel). Lots of restrictions there that affected how the music was written.

Those are the limits of the NES sound chip, not of 8-bit technology per se. I did 16-channel tracking with 8 bit samples on my Atari ST (used only a few but still). On the other hand those limits you speak of, they do define the overall sonic feel of the console. Same with visuals, limited number of palettes and number of colours in each one, a trained eye could discern between Turbografx and NES just by the colours alone.

After so much time, I've re-installed The Simpsons Hit & Run on my computer. Been playing like crazy, started today and am already 5 levels in. :D

I bought a new phone and put Heroes of Might and Magic III on it.

After so much time, I've re-installed The Simpsons Hit & Run on my computer. Been playing like crazy, started today and am already 5 levels in. :D

Great game, that one. Great game design. Managed to make circular tracks feel like open-world gaming. Cool levels, awesome cars and fun gameplay. Not sure if it would actually hold up for a remaster, but I sure would like to see it anyway.

Great game, that one. Great game design. Managed to make circular tracks feel like open-world gaming. Cool levels, awesome cars and fun gameplay. Not sure if it would actually hold up for a remaster, but I sure would like to see it anyway.
This, and I would also add great replay value. I've recently completed 100% of the game, and been discovering some things I didn't know about when I was little (even after having played it like, a million times). New shortcuts, cheat codes, different/easier ways to complete certain missions that used to be nearly impossible for me to complete (namely "Never Trust a Snake" and "Set to Kill"). Sometimes it feels like I've never played this game before in my life!

I play a FTP hero shooter called Paladins quite a bit on PC. If anyone else here happens to play it, I'm always down to queue up a few games. You can find it on Steam, it is quite fun. Since starting last year in December, I've logged around 250 hours. Just 130 in the past month and a half.

[/QUOT

BLIZZARD died when they got into that petty squabble about 20 years ago and half the team left. Starcraft Ghost was scratched and When Diable 3 was finally released it was shit. I played it for completion sake, but ALL Diablo games have horrible endings. At least one was great to play, 2 was awesome, three was shit throughout, PLUS a shit ending. yaaaay....

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-2033-...ecause-the-scripter-wanted-to-americanize-it/

Work on the Metro 2033 film that was announced in 2016 has been halted and the rights have reverted to Dmitry Glukhovsky, the author of the 2005 novel on which the movie was meant to be based. The reason, Glukhovsky told VG247, is that scriptwriter F. Scott Frazier had intended to "Americanize" the setting by moving it from Moscow to Washington DC, and it just wasn't working out. (Which is a nice way of saying that it sounds like it would have been awful.)

"A lot of things didn’t work out in Washington DC," Glukhovsky said. "In Washington DC, Nazis don’t work, Communists don’t work at all, and the Dark Ones don’t work. Washington DC is a black city basically. That’s not at all the allusion I want to have, it’s a metaphor of general xenophobia but it’s not a comment on African Americans at all. So it didn’t work."

Yup...this scripter is just bad at his work and his best on IMDB is about 5.5 so it is very good they cancelled the whole shebang - it's a great game and a great book the film should be no less. Hire someone good enough to do it.

Yup...this scripter is just bad at his work and his best on IMDB is about 5.5 so it is very good they cancelled the whole shebang - it's a great game and a great book the film should be no less. Hire someone good enough to do it.

I bought Metro 2033 and Metro 2034, the books, some time ago but haven't got around to them. I bet they would inspire me, though, because I plan on writing a short story that also has this dark tunnel imagery going on.

Replaying Far Cry 3 because I haven't got anything else. Just completed the mission where you burn down a field of drugs with a flamethrower and dubstep music starts playing in the background. This game is a hoot.

Back