No Prayer for the Dying

Prowler_108 said:
I hope people didnt kick Wyrdstein for his list...
Yeap, and I'd like to think that people are grown up enough to know that opinions differ.

No Prayer For the Dying is IMO the best Maiden album of the 90s. Hooks in You, Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, Bring Your Daughter, The Assassin are probably some of the best Maiden songs.  :rocker:

Purgatory said:
No Prayer For the Dying is IMO the best Maiden album of the 90s. Hooks in You, Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, Bring Your Daughter, The Assassin are probably some of the best Maiden songs.  :rocker:

:bigsurprise:

Purgatory said:
Those are the songs I consider the worst on the album; the rest a fine!  :lol:

Holy smoke, bring your daughter , hooks in you are absolute trash. If you replace these 3 songs with songs similar to "fates warning" for example then NPFTD would have been a very mediocre Maiden album , but a proper-sounding Maiden album at least.

Wyrdskein, I like the album too. Don't mind the surprises you get from people.
It's generally not cool to say something positive about the album as a whole, but I certainly see its quality.

Thanks. I don't mind if people dislike it, I'm just interested why. There are only a few IM songs I don't like at all, and they are all on Dance of Death. Everything else I like in varying degrees, which is amazing if you count up everything they've done.

Same here. Plus a few things they've done on VXI and there's one track I dislike rather than like, namely Chains of Misery from FOTD.

I still maintain that Fear of the dark kicks no prayers ass. Even though weekend warrior, fear is the key and the apparition are absolute trash, there are 9 songs that range from a 5 out of 10 to a 9 out of 10. The production and atmosphere also feels superior on FOTD. Mother russia and the title track would score a 7 and a 9 respectively from me but everything else would get below a 5.

I am not going to give all my scores yet (not sure yet either), but I find No Prayer a bit more consistent than Fear of the Dark. On No Prayer I can't really find any songs I dislike even a bit. The Assassin isn't so bad in my ears. The song has interesting rhythms, guitar playing, and some nice eastern flavor in it. I love Steve's bass in it and I have heard worse choruses in the Maiden discography. The solo section is cool too.

I have absolutely no problem with the production of No Prayer. It's the most live sounding record Maiden has ever done (especially the drum sound) and I like that for variation. Steve's bass sounds very prominent, and this album features some of his most menacing playing. Fear's production sounds softer, and the drums are less prominent (more dim sounding, especially the snare drum). Still that production fits well to some of its more atmospherical songs. It's a matter of taste.

^ agreed. I also think that production is far more similar to SiT/SSOASS than to next albums. Especially the rhythm section sounds great...like on the NPFTD fast part before the solos, where the guitars just fill the room with open chords, with Steve and Nicko leading the way.

Forostar said:
I am not going to give all my scores yet (not sure yet either), but I find No Prayer a bit more consistent than Fear of the Dark. On No Prayer I can't really find any songs I dislike even a bit.
I'm not keen on Hooks in You, but the rest rate from pretty good to brilliant.

I like this album a lot. It is, however, the first disappointment I suffered with Maiden. While a good album on its own, it certainly tripped the band up. Up to that point, they could literally do no wrong. It showed that maybe they were fallible after all. Adrian not being there except for one lousy writing credit didn't help at all either...... as I'm sure we all know.

Public Enema #1 is my favorite song from the album, fast, in your face, great social commentary.

Most people seem to dislike or even hate Holy Smoke, but it has always been a favourite of mine from the album along with a few others.  There's a few tracks I want to skip, but that goes for almost all of Maiden's albums.  The individual songs aren't amazing, but as a whole it's a fairly enjoyable album.  Sure, it's a step down from Seventh Son, but again, I could say that for many other Maiden albums too.

I do love to read everyone's opinion of the Maiden LPs, cause everyone has a different take it seems.  I guess I've always been just an easy going Head Banger.  To me, every Maiden album has a place in my heart, and I love every one of them.  I can recall just about every album from the moment I heard Killers in 82, and they all have a special place in my memory of where I was, and how many listens that they each took to get into. I loved NPFTD when it came out, but it was a tad of a change from SSoaSS thats for sure.  But I love the album and each song just fine.  I sometime out of no where will get "hooks in you" stuck in my head, and just have to grab the album and crank that song up, and that'll make me spin that disc for a few days or so.  I get that way with every Maiden album.

Ok, i'll shut up now.

Up The Irons!!!
Sam :rocker:

The biggest mistery of this album is on the credits.

"Thanks for SweetPea for putting up with Nicko", or something like that.

Why was the funniest member of Maiden sad ? because of H ? it is something related with the album ?  Who or what is Sweetpea ? :uhm:

You have to realize that like H, the guys feel a little tired of constant touring, and if i'm not mistaken, except for Steve, each of them were starting to grow their own families. Probably their minds were on a different direction. Much more relaxed.

Actually, i believe NPFTD was the 2nd album i bought, the first being Killers (mid 1990's). So, i began from their "worst". That's probably why i like this album.

When No Prayer For The Dying came out I used to go jogging thru a forest with this album on my discman and although a huge departure from SSOASS (unfortuntely) I got a lot of listening pleasure from the album.

When Fear of the Dark was released I felt the same excitement and bought the CD on day of release...but went into shock upon first listen. I still don't like it all except for weekend warrior.
...and Childhoods End has become a grower over the years.

I really like NPFTD band should play songs like Tailguner, No Prayer For The Dying more often live  :shred: I would like to hear these songs in three guitar attack :shred:

Back