Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

why would anything get better?

Most people are listening to lossy files on shit headphones or PC speakers. So music is going to be produced to sound good on shit headphones and pc speakers.

Remasters sound bad even on $0.10 Chinese headphones, I believe most people don't even know such thing as loudness wars exists

That's on a case by case basis. Some bands get better (Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage). I'd argue that loudness reached it's peak (no pun intended) in the 00's. Anyways NOTD is a DR7 with RTTH at DR6 and Revelations a DR8. The sound is weird, did this tour have keyboards or not? In terms of production the instruments sound better, in terms of mixing they could have made to not sound like an fm bootleg, drums should be pushed back around 2db. Bruce being sick tho couldn't they release some Europe recording? The Athens show was awesome

Edit:Keys are audible on clansman, the wicker man solo tho sounded very weird and keys weren't there

Last edited:
Normalization just level matches the song, it's just like turning down the volume. This won't restore the crashed peaks, dynamics are still lost, distortion persists etc. Once a song is destroyed you can't do that much.
That’s exactly what streaming services do, hence less compression, bus compression, limiting etc. in mixing and mastering, because everyone wants to compete in terms of sound as well. Even Andrew Scheps says he uses less compression/limiting nowadays. Compression isn’t necessarily bad at all btw., and tape saturation can crash the peaks before, say 4:1 compression... but it sounds good, when done with taste.

Reactions: Yax
That’s exactly what streaming services do, hence less compression, bus compression, limiting etc. in mixing and mastering, because everyone wants to compete in terms of sound as well. Even Andrew Scheps says he uses less compression/limiting nowadays. Compression isn’t necessarily bad at all btw., and tape saturation can crash the peaks before, say 4:1 compression... but it sounds good, when done with taste.
No the level of compression is the same, just the volume changes. Also compression like this has only one goal, loudness so in this case yes its bad

Would you say it sounds better than the released YouTube clips?
I haven't compared to any hires or lossless versions from the legal streaming services, but I think it might have sounded a little bit better than the clips.
I did listen to the 2 songs from Spotify (many times before) but that is not quite near cd quality, so it's actually not a miracle if it (the cd) did sound bit better. They are just probably from the very same master-file, pressed to cd and hopefully vinyl will have it's own master and then the streaming services have their own little things done to it. Like some Tom Petty remasters, vinyl had the most dynamic range, while cd was a bit compressed and their streaming equivalent was compressed the most. This was mention elsewhere by the person who worked with the release.

No the level of compression is the same, just the volume changes. Also compression like this has only one goal, loudness so in this case yes its bad

What he means is the same thing I said. It results in not quite as squashed mastering. Since Spotify etc brings everything to a specified level of LUFS, you generally don't go for the Sebatian Bach Kicking and Screaming type of mastering anymore (this is the past few years) since it's just counter productive at this point. We're nowhere near the level of the 90's, much less the 80's (I don' expect us to get there either) but things are happening. But the extra few dBs this in the long run, generally, will buy us, matter.

I liked the little variation in the Wicker Man solo..all in all good live-album but unfornately there could have been more talk or even brief few lines between the songs....but overall this is good souvenir from LOTB-tour, eventhough I would have hoped to hear 2018 recordings. Pretty solid effort and yet another live-album, I liked it and it had great flow as the setlist didn't contain any weak links or moments.

Yeah, Bruce only ever said anything before The Clansman.

Yeah, Bruce only ever said anything before The Clansman.

He gave quite an extensive talk before For the Greater Good of God in the first two shows though. Oh well, in the second anyway. In Tallinn, it was rather brief lead-up to the song, but he talked a lot during the first Helsinki show. For the second Helsinki show/third show of the tour, he dropped that. Probably due to setlist flow, as his pre-tour hype about "letting music do the talking" suggested anyway.

Listening to Where Eagles Dare and I cannot physically fucking believe they put this out. Bruce is absolutely shockingly bad. The moment he comes in the already wonky sounding mix turns to shit and I literally can't make out what he's singing despite knowing the lyrics, that's how bad he mumbles and strains through the verses. How the fuck did they okay this release? I hate to be constantly ragging on it but sometimes I just can't help it. Sometimes the end product really is as terrible as the previews made it out to be.

He sounds good on 2 Minutes to Midnight, Flight of Icarus and Fear of the Dark though.

I think Hallowed Be Thy Name sounds rather good as well.

He gave quite an extensive talk before For the Greater Good of God in the first two shows though. Oh well, in the second anyway. In Tallinn, it was rather brief lead-up to the song, but he talked a lot during the first Helsinki show. For the second Helsinki show/third show of the tour, he dropped that. Probably due to setlist flow, as his pre-tour hype about "letting music do the talking" suggested anyway.

Yep, it was weird because on the first Helsinki-show he talked and introduced themes and such, then the 2nd night was more of less talk and let's get on with the show. I didn't follow and pay attention how much he talked later in any other shows on the tour, but he must have been mosta talkative at the Helsinki #1. I would have liked that they would have released either Helsinki-show as live-album.

He sounds good on 2 Minutes to Midnight, Flight of Icarus and Fear of the Dark though.

I think Hallowed Be Thy Name sounds rather good as well.
I don't know if remember correctly but he had couple rough spot(s) on HBTN or ETMD..my mind might be playing tricks. Im gonna listen the set again during weekend.

Last edited:
Listening to Where Eagles Dare and I cannot physically fucking believe they put this out. Bruce is absolutely shockingly bad. The moment he comes in the already wonky sounding mix turns to shit and I literally can't make out what he's singing despite knowing the lyrics, that's how bad he mumbles and strains through the verses. How the fuck did they okay this release? I hate to be constantly ragging on it but sometimes I just can't help it. Sometimes the end product really is as terrible as the previews made it out to be.
I might have not noticed it at first as I was writing the first comment here during WED (which played in the background).

I thought the same with Aces High! I have listened to the whole album 3 times already and in the first song there are parts where Bruce seems to be mumbling and not singing. Apart from that I think the album sounds pretty good, only wished they would have put more volume to the crowd cause sometimes it sounds more like this was a "live in the studio" thing that recorded in front of an audience

Back