Nicko's drum kits over the years

Hasn't he used only DW 5000 and Speed King, DW being used after he switched from Sonor to Premier (Signia) about the time of ARLO?

SBIT is probably my favorite kit

Challenge: Also what bass pedal he used on every drumkit

AFAIK he used Ludwig Speed King in 80's and then his old retro DW 5000, and then switched to DW 9000 recently
Yup, you're correct. I believe he switched from the Speed King to the DW5000 Accelerator around 1993, and then to the DW9000 around 2008-2009 I believe.

My favorite drum kit is the one for TBOS tour - pure gold ! I hope for the LOTB tour, the drums to be even more awesome !
I'm thinking that stained glass-style theme from the tour poster and teasers may end up on the drums, which would look very cool!

I'm thinking that stained glass-style theme from the tour poster and teasers may end up on the drums, which would look very cool!

It would be cool, especially with the new Eddie from the tour poster ! For the color of the drums, maybe green would be good-looking and surprising as well, but I think the drums have to be a similar color with the stage design (which color would be the dominant) !

Last edited:
Yup, you're correct. I believe he switched from the Speed King to the DW5000 Accelerator around 1993, and then to the DW9000 around 2008-2009 I believe.

I wonder why he switched from DW5000 to DW9000, maybe it broke and was hard to find a replacement? I mean, his DW5000 must have been from the 80's

By the way Ive heard that he used the "Turbo" version and not "Accelerator"... but that was long time ago so I cant recall any source

I wonder why he switched from DW5000 to DW9000, maybe it broke and was hard to find a replacement? I mean, his DW5000 must have been from the 80's
DW still makes the 5000 series pedals, and he almost definitely got at least one new pedal per tour. I think it was just a preference, honestly. The DW9000 is by far the nicest pedal they make and is very adjustable to suit the player.

DW still makes the 5000 series pedals, and he almost definitely got at least one new pedal per tour. I think it was just a preference, honestly. The DW9000 is by far the nicest pedal they make and is very adjustable to suit the player.

One new pedal per tour? Im pretty certain that he used a specific old pedal all the time. I dont have any pictures right now, but if you look at this video at 2:51 you get a pretty good look at this pedal

You can see that it is an old version of DW 5000, like in this picture (but not a double pedal obviously) http://onlinedrummer.com/forum/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-4186-13108583880666.jpg
Look at the chain, its clearly a single chain and not a double chain as the new DW 5000's. Also the baseplate of the pedal is more square and not rounded as the new ones.

Some of his best live pedal work is done with the Speed King then. TETMD, A Real Live One. Tremendous. And the SIT album, of course.

One new pedal per tour? Im pretty certain that he used a specific old pedal all the time. I dont have any pictures right now, but if you look at this video at 2:51 you get a pretty good look at this pedal

You can see that it is an old version of DW 5000, like in this picture (but not a double pedal obviously) http://onlinedrummer.com/forum/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-4186-13108583880666.jpg
Look at the chain, its clearly a single chain and not a double chain as the new DW 5000's. Also the baseplate of the pedal is more square and not rounded as the new ones.
Good eye! You're spot on. However, I'm sure he was in possession of more than one DW5000- and if the old one wore out, DW still makes them. So I'm pretty sure the switch to the 9000 was just out of preference.

This picture scares me
Kto-zlamal-nos-Nicko-McBrainowi_article.jpg

It makes me sad to realise that Maiden wont be forever, and that Nicko is 66 this year. I hope he turns out to be immortal, and that his arms and feets may never deteriorate

Some of his best live pedal work is done with the Speed King then. TETMD, A Real Live One. Tremendous. And the SIT album, of course.

The Speed King was also the same pedal used by John Bonham- it's behind some of the most famous/difficult bass drum parts in history!

Let's also not forget how amazing Nicko's kick work is on Rock in Rio, which is the DW5000 Accelerator!

This picture scares me
Kto-zlamal-nos-Nicko-McBrainowi_article.jpg

It makes me sad to realise that Maiden wont be forever, and that Nicko is 66 this year. I hope he turns out to be immortal, and that his arms and feets may never deteriorate

Nicko is one of the most handsome people :) A great and a very funny guy !

Here's a cool Nicko's gear oddity- the snare drum featured on the 2 Minutes to Midnight and Aces High videos:

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 2.45.10 PM.png

This is a 6.5x14" Pearl free-floating Maple snare in red lacquer, gifted to Nicko by his longtime friend Tico Torres (Pearl artist and drummer for Bon Jovi). As far as I know, these two music video shoots are the only time Nicko ever used the drum with Maiden!

Slight correction to the sizes on the TBOS kit: according to Sonor's website, the smallest tom is 6x8" and his snare is actually 14x5", instead of 5.5" (a surprisingly shallow size if you ask me).

But yeah great job documenting stuff like the 90s kits. I never realized the Ed Hunter kit was actually composed of two previous Insignia kits, that's interesting. I'm also surprised at the sizes for the Seventh Son kit since I thought for sure he didn't change once from the square sizes once he started using them. But then I never even noticed the early 90s kit isn't the SSOASS kit, so I suppose that shows what I know!

This also reminds me of something related: at what point exactly did Nicko get rid of his second ride? I know it was sometime during the early 90s, but I'm unsure if it was already on the NPFTD tour or after it.

Slight correction to the sizes on the TBOS kit: according to Sonor's website, the smallest tom is 6x8" and his snare is actually 14x5", instead of 5.5" (a surprisingly shallow size if you ask me).

But yeah great job documenting stuff like the 90s kits. I never realized the Ed Hunter kit was actually composed of two previous Insignia kits, that's interesting. I'm also surprised at the sizes for the Seventh Son kit since I thought for sure he didn't change once from the square sizes once he started using them. But then I never even noticed the early 90s kit isn't the SSOASS kit, so I suppose that shows what I know!

This also reminds me of something related: at what point exactly did Nicko get rid of his second ride? I know it was sometime during the early 90s, but I'm unsure if it was already on the NPFTD tour or after it.
Well, technically the 8x6" tom and snare on TBOS kit aren't made by Sonor- the 6" shell is made by a different company and then built out with Sonor hardware as they don't have the old 6" shell mold anymore. The snare is an exact copy of the Premier Nicko's Syco (5.5x14" sycamore) made by Keith Keough, formerly of Premier and now with British Drum Co. Like the tom, it's just outfitted with Sonor hardware.

Back