Nicko's drum kits over the years

Aaaah the good old D506 snare- love those drums. He had a custom black chrome-plated version for the Somewhere In Time Tour as well- which you've seen of course, as you've been to his drum shop based on your profile picture!

Good find on the shells on FOTD kit, just noticed that myself! I wonder if he asked them to go back to the old Phonic-style shells- I've never seen a signature without that bubinga inner ply.

Have you been on the Sonor signature. De site on there is a D-506 the guy said he paid 10000 for it. He says they are rare but can be found from time time.

That Fear of the Dark drum kit looks pretty beat up considering it's surposed to be a new kit. Something to consider we know that he signed up to Premier and he had his first Signia kit by the Real live Dead tour 1993. He would have had to give them a few months to make it. So perhaps he left Sonor and decided to not get a new kit but reuse his Last kit and take off the bottom heads in an attempt to sound like his Trust concert tom kit which is what the Album was recorded on. The other thing is if it was a new kit why order double head toms when he could of asked for concert toms.

There is a couple of vids of his SOT kit that I took from Drum one. Enjoy
Hmm, what's that little plague on the side say? I assume it's just explaining the history of the kit? Interesting that it looks like that kit was also used on SSOASS, based on the inclusion of its cover in that little text blurb.

Shame they didn't also try to match the original cymbal configuration, but I suppose it'd be counterproductive when they can show off the new signature lineup from Paiste in one go too. It's such a cool looking kit though, my God. I kinda wish Nicko would go back to the solid color finishes, they're a lot more classy than the reunion era wraps if you ask me.

Hmm, what's that little plague on the side say? I assume it's just explaining the history of the kit? Interesting that it looks like that kit was also used on SSOASS, based on the inclusion of its cover in that little text blurb.

Shame they didn't also try to match the original cymbal configuration, but I suppose it'd be counterproductive when they can show off the new signature lineup from Paiste in one go too. It's such a cool looking kit though, my God. I kinda wish Nicko would go back to the solid color finishes, they're a lot more classy than the reunion era wraps if you ask me.

On the official site for his drum store it says that this drum kit was used for the recording of the Seventh Son of A Seventh Son album.

here: https://www.drumone.co.uk/news/nicko-mcbrain/

The kit was also used to record Somewhere In Time, though Nicko didn't have the 6" tom yet and used one with chrome hardware (or at least didn't have the black top rim for the 6", it's hard to tell from the pics). You can see photos of him recording with this kit at Compass Point Studios, and there a couple images in the Somewhere On Tour 86/87 Tour Books.
somewhere_japon_09.jpg .

ironmaiden_colour449.jpg

The kit was also used to record Somewhere In Time, though Nicko didn't have the 6" tom yet and used one with chrome hardware (or at least didn't have the black top rim for the 6", it's hard to tell from the pics). You can see photos of him recording with this kit at Compass Point Studios, and there a couple images in the Somewhere On Tour 86/87 Tour Books.
I was actually aware of that, it was kind of a surprise since usually he uses the previous tour's kit and only gets a new one before the next tour. I wonder if he used it on the Entire Population of Hackney gig too, since I'd imagine he'd be playing on his newest kit at the time.

Bring out yer dead
Ha, I thought something was off about that sentence but somehow completely missed accidentally writing plague instead of plaque. Though actually plaque isn't really the right word for that either, it's more of a note or something.

I was actually aware of that, it was kind of a surprise since usually he uses the previous tour's kit and only gets a new one before the next tour. I wonder if he used it on the Entire Population of Hackney gig too, since I'd imagine he'd be playing on his newest kit at the time.

Ha, I thought something was off about that sentence but somehow completely missed accidentally writing plague instead of plaque. Though actually plaque isn't really the right word for that either, it's more of a note or something.
Hard to say, since there aren't any photos from the gig that I've been able to locate! The audio quality of the bootleg is not great, but based on the sound of the toms I'm going to guess it was his custom single-headed Powerslave Phonic Plus kit (as seen on Live After Death).

EDIT - I was able to find an article with a photo from one of the gigs! Nicko's playing a smaller DW kit (with the red maple Pearl Free Floating snare seen in Aces/2min vids given to him by Tico Torres). Not sure if this pic is actually from the "Entire Population" gig, or the "Sherman Tankers" though. Could be he used different kits on different nights.

http://www.ironmaidenbrasil.com.br/2016/08/sherman-tankers-informacoes-exclusivas.html

Attachments

• Maiden Marquee.jpg
    Maiden Marquee.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Here is it bigger you can see it is the hi tech 6x8 but with a chrome top rim. Also he hasn't got his black hardware yet2018-04-22 22.47.18.png
Hard to say, since there aren't any photos from the gig that I've been able to locate! The audio quality of the bootleg is not great, but based on the sound of the toms I'm going to guess it was his custom single-headed Powerslave Phonic Plus kit (as seen on Live After Death).

EDIT - I was able to find an article with a photo from one of the gigs! Nicko's playing a smaller DW kit (with the red maple Pearl Free Floating snare seen in Aces/2min vids given to him by Tico Torres). Not sure if this pic is actually from the "Entire Population" gig, or the "Sherman Tankers" though. Could be he used different kits on different nights.

http://www.ironmaidenbrasil.com.br/2016/08/sherman-tankers-informacoes-exclusivas.html

Attachments

• 2018-04-22 22.47.18.png
    2018-04-22 22.47.18.png
    763.9 KB · Views: 16

Hmm. I'm not totally convinced he's playing on that kit in the bootleg at least, since that one sounds like it has more than just three or so toms. But could be that I'm just misremembering that since it certainly wouldn't make much sense for him to use a full size kit at such a small venue! Given that, it's safe to say he probably wasn't using the SoT kit then, since I doubt he'd have it hauled and set up there if he only needed a five piece kit and a couple of cymbals.

How can people hit these toms above the floor tom, with that cymbal in the way.
Easily the ride only covers the top of the drums and you don't play on that part. The middle of the tom is easily available. You don't hit the top part of your snare when you play . Remember these are 14 and 15" so plenty of room.

I'd never do this. The cymbal covers way too much.

It blocks improvisational possibilities.
I guess it also depends on the style of playing. If you want to move to and from these toms with the same hand and play something else in between with the same hand, you can hit that cymbal. These are probably only for not too complex two handed fills if used at all.

Plus the sound of the toms and cymbal are in eachother' ways. The sound needs room too. The cymbal sounds different when hanging close over a tom.

Last edited:
Well, Nicko's done it for basically as long as he's played drums and I don't know about you, but I think both his ride and his toms sounds perfectly fine. It's really down to personal preference rather than being a hard fact.

Nicko drum kit for LOTB tour !

Attachments

• lotbt18.jpg
    lotbt18.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.png
    5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
A few other good pictures of Nicko's SBIT drum kit - the pictures are from his new Drum Shop:

Attachments

• DoLDwmlXkAEtk1t.jpg
    DoLDwmlXkAEtk1t.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DopuUxeXsAAekGD.jpg
    DopuUxeXsAAekGD.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back