NEWS: Maiden have started writing NEW material!

I don't think he meant the album is entirely recorded. He should have said 'where we're recording our new album'. He said the studio is the same as it was in 1985, but Maiden wasn't there in 1985. I think it was a slip of the tongue.

No, I don't listen to it anymore. I found out about it via the official Maiden forum, which I also don't check daily.

Some lucky people met Janick and Kevin Shirley on the Bahamas:

ndbAdDWFTkuGOxr01CymWA.jpg

From Kevin's site:

"Friday, February 12th 2010 Nassau, Bahamas

Last day in the studio today and all the music recording is done! There's still work to do, but the band portion is complete and in the can, so to speak. Home tomorrow to see my beautiful family, just in time for Valentine's Day.......

Yesterday, while waiting for some computer thing to be done, I was noodling around some blues scales on one of the acoustic guitars in the studio, which prompted studio owner and producer extraordinaire, Terry Manning, to show me an old National that apparently used to be blues icon Robert johnson's dobro! For real!!

It's on it's way to the Memphis Museum. I played a little slide on it, hugged it and kissed it, to maybe absorb just an iota of the energy he had. It was very humbling and awe-inspiring to hold it and slide a little on it, and I felt more moved even than when I met Jimmy Page or B.B. King. It's serial # is T968..

Amazing! Just time for a swim across the bay before a last stop at Starbucks, and a wrap-up in the studio. Safety copy all the masters, pack away my things, delete all the rough mixes on the studio computer's iTunes, etc.............. :)"

Was exploring the past years over at Kevin Shirley's site when I came to this page. If you scroll down to where the Ozzy picture is, there's an interesting entry...

"April 1st, 2003

Greetings! Well, today we finish mixing the new Iron Maiden album, and with a very unusual song indeed. The guys cut an acoustic version of one of the songs, and it came out great, so this will be the last song to be mixed. It's also unusual, because it's the first time Maiden have ever had a guest artist on one of their songs, and I can now reveal, that the artist "dueting" with Bruce is none other than the Ozzman!! Yes, we recorded Ozzy last month and kept it a secret, and this looks like being the second single off the new album and it's very exciting! Bruce Dickinson was in yesterday to listen to a playback of a couple of songs, and regaled us with tales of his latest flying escapades, and of the exploding 737 engine over Stanstedt airport last week, all very matter-of-factly, like it wasn't anything worrying at all! Oh well, big balls, as Bon Scott would've said! Gotta get movin', peace for now....

KevTheCave"

Does anyone know anything about this? What ever became of this mysterious Ozzy duet recording, or his vocal track? I never even heard about this until now.

Given the date, I assume it's an April Fool's joke.  Given the bad blood between Maiden and Sharon Osborne, I think we can safely assume there will be no Ozzy/Bruce duets.  Ever. 

cornfedhick said:
Given the date, I assume it's an April Fool's joke.  Given the bad blood between Maiden and Sharon Osborne, I think we can safely assume there will be no Ozzy/Bruce duets.  Ever. 
Sure,  but things got nasty between Ozzy and Bruce in 2005.  Still I have no idea what this is about...

This is all incredibly exciting - recording at Compass Point makes me very optimistic about the new songs.
A Matter of Life and Death was brilliant and with four years to write new material I have a feeling this album will be another classic.
I do not live in Europe but cannot wait to see the setlist for the summer festivals and hope at least 5 new songs are played, many off the reunion albums and hopefully some of the standards are finally rested after the SBIT tour...which was an awesome tour by the way in my opinion.

I always feel sick with anticipation when a new Maiden studio album release approaches, and really enjoy how at first the new album will sound a bit weird, then start to grow, then become the only music I listen to for months, and then eventually become an established album in my sonic Maiden experience and seem as though it always belonged there.

How cool is it that right now out there an artist is creating the new Maiden album cover!!  Hell yeah.

It seemed a quick process though  :(
Three weeks writing, one month recording... and Kevin doesn't appear too much excited.
Plus, I had some hopes for a double CD which probably won't be fulfilled.
Also is not likely at all to hear this album during the summer tour, so I suspect something like Give me Ed ...Till I'm Dead vol.2
This makes me doubt more about the quality of the album : if it was a big project, a killer album,
why to make another one 'best of' tour, and not promote the new material to summer fests ??

The good thing in this story, is that my expectations aren't big (at all), so the possibility to have a pleasant surprise is bigger   :S

I doubt the writing was just 3 weeks. That's how long they were in Paris for and if you remember Nicko said that they still had to write a couple of songs afterwards.

Also, last time they built AMOLAD up a huge amount. And whilst most people here really enjoyed it (me included) it wasn't as successful everywhere else, with a few people say it was overhyped. Perhaps this is a response to that?

It's Maiden, it's gonna be quality.

I'm looking forward to the hype as well :) the only other ''online-album-hype'' I have experienced was when I listened to Linkin Park back in 06-07 and it was just silly. People would over-analyse every word of the bandmembers. Now, Iron Maiden may have a more ''selected'' audience than Linkin Park, so maybe the hype will calmer xD

Back