New single: Stratego

Honestly this. Almost reminds me of Sabaton if they branched away from pure power metal. If this is any indication of the album as a whole, I'm pumped.
Yeah, the layering on the bridge and chorus helps that, but it does kinda have that cheery Sabaton twist to it a bit, but it's still very much Iron Maiden. Again, that kinda points to the VXI-BNW era, but certainly its own twist on it.

This is a damned good song.

I love Jan's solo as well. Found it quite strange at first because Bruce's voice was too low, but melodies are just so good. The chorus is glorious.

Good song. Generic Jan solo. The first vocal melody is not good. Untypical in a lot of ways for Maiden. Loved its' galloping nature. Strong DOD album vibe for me, but in a good way. Very different to what I expected. Sounds like a grower!

Last edited:
Stratego could really fit into the Brave New World album. Somehow it reminds me of The Mercenary.

This is way better than The Writing On The Wall. The guitar solo is awesome.

I could even imagine Blaze Bayley singing it...
I absolutely despise the Chorus on The Mercenary. But that’s what kinda ruins the so g to me, otherwise it sounds great. Stratego has this feeling, I agree

I see people saying that it sounds like a BNW song, the production is what sounds like BNW. Layers of vocals which is always nice, keyboards (perhaps a bit too high pitched and high in the mix but this could be my equipment), and bruce sounds a bit like on BNW although his vocals arent high enough in the mix, same issue twotw had so I hope theyll fix this. Better than TWOTW overal, a bit happy. What is it that I dont like? The first lyrics; the word ultimatum doesnt sound nice and I expected something more to rhyme after Teach me the art of war.

I just noticed that with Iron Maiden speakers that you are using are very important. On one phones i cant hear shit while on the others everything sounds great. Vocals are great here.

The melody during the intro is great. Are we in Egypt? Superb!
I love the galloping Maiden tempo and riff!
The verses are different and unique.
The pre-chorus is very good too - so effective for the song!
The chorus is FANTASTIC!!! I wish it never ends...
The double vocals during the chorus are a perfect feature.
The keyboards sounds epic.
Nicko's drumming is just wow!
Janick's solo is typical for him - I like it a lot.
The instrumental part after the solo is brutal! Ancient vibes through all melodies in the song!
I like the end of the song a lot too.

Janick's playing lead under the verses is 50/50 for me.

SUPER CATCHY SONG!!! Perfect for a single. Potential hit single for me!

Getting BNW vibes from this song. Love the rhythm guitars and rhythm section generally. Pre-chorus and chorus are amazing. Takes me back in time with the layered vocals.
Not a fan of the guitar over the vocals in the verse but I'll get over it.
Janick does what he has been doing on the majority of his solos since the reunion, AKA flying free.
Stratego has the traditional Maiden gallop and it's really heavy. Really impressed

I just noticed that with Iron Maiden speakers that you are using are very important. On one phones i cant hear shit while on the others everything sounds great. Vocals are great here.
If you boost the mids a bit vocals should be more pronounced, sadly its very had to find headphones with focus on midrange

Reactions: jcv
First impressions:

I enjoy the production a lot, Bruce could be a bit louder, but in general it feels much clearer and cleaner than TBOS.

Bruce sings the verse and parts of the chorus in his mid range, which sounds fantastic. We know that he can reach high notes, but often it doesn't sound as good anymore and it feels like some lines are simply written to show that he can reach the notes. That's not what is happening here and I'm glad.

The chorus finally has some vocal harmonies! I'm an absolute sucker for that and I'm incredibly happy.

Looking forward to reading the lyrics once we have them.

Someone mentioned the solo sounding like it's ripped out of The Nomad and I can certainly hear the similarities lol

All in all (it's far too early obviously but) I enjoy both singles a lot, Stratego much more than TWOTW and if the rest of the album is of a similar quality it's going to be really special.

Lyrics:

How do you read a madman’s mind
Teach me the art of war
For I shall bring more
Than you bargained for

Give me an ultimatum
That I could not dream of
Spills of a crying nation
Upon my soul

For I have not a mortal soul
That you already know
Look at my eyes