New Bruce Dickinson interviews (last: 29-Jan-2008)

Re: New Bruce Dickinson interview (spoiler on upcoming setlist!)

SinisterMinisterX said:
In the Motley Crue autobiography The Dirt, Sixx claimed to have slept with Dickinson's then-girlfriend-now-wife while the Crue was opening for Maiden on the World Slavery Tour. He claimed Bruce found out and wanted to kill Sixx with the fencing swords he brought along on tour.

It was Bruce's first wife, ex-wife since 1988. ;)

I used to admire Bruce. Now I REALLY admire Bruce. I think its pretty safe to say that he's one of the most intelligent and professional guys in heavy metal today.

New short interview with Bruce, from India.

Maiden (not) over!

What they promise, they deliver! Heavy metal band Iron Maiden, best known to rock-a-holics for their deafening hits Fear of the Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Two Minutes to Midnight and The Clairvoyant, are famous for their loud, energetic concerts and their onstage charisma.

The band promises to always put on a “spectacle” on stage, and blatantly states that if fans like their music, they’ll keep coming back. Both promises, Iron Maiden has kept. After rocking Bangalore in March last year, they’re coming to Mumbai on February 1st on their ‘maiden’ concert here. So all you heavy metal fans, get ready to enter ‘A Brave New World’... but not if you have a ‘Fear of the Dark’...

Iron Maiden has successfully lasted more than three decades. What has kept you’ll going all these years?

I think it really boils down to the fact that we all simply love what we do. Now, however, we’ve slowed down, so we get to spend time with our families and occasionally try out other projects in between too. Yes, there’s always a little bit of pressure to make sure you deliver what’s expected of you from fans, yet we can’t wait to get going when we get back together. I think if any of us sat still for more than a month, we’d go insane. It’s in our blood.

1975-2008, how has the band evolved over the years?

We have all evolved differently as individual musicians and artistes, but the formula which makes up the band’s sound is still intact, so it still has ‘our’ sound.

Iron Maiden live shows are characterised by energy, vibrancy and volume. What is Maiden’s secret to energetic concerts?

Well, it’s actually a delicate balance as it essentially has to be about the music and not just a bunch of fireworks and lights. Yes, we do put on a spectacle; I suppose it comes from the old theatre mentality of sending an audience home happy and kind of awestruck by what they’ve seen.

One thing I can’t stand is seeing artistes playing high energy music and just staring at their shoes. It makes no sense to me. But we are always sure not to go too far and let the show be overbearing on us; we never let the crowd’s attention be turned away from the band for too long. The show should never be bigger than the artist performing it, it detracts from the music experience. I don’t want to be performing to an audience that is looking at a TV screen or some fireworks going off.

How do you’ll overcome creative conflicts when composing songs?

We don’t have too many conflicts. Even the guitarists work out most of the parts between themselves and there’s no ego between them. The writing process is a fairly democratic one too, where as we all get together a few weeks before we go into the studio to record a new album. We listen to each other’s ideas and then piece together all the parts to come up with an album.

What’s the story behind the name ‘Iron Maiden’?

That goes back to the time when Steve (Harris) had just started the band. He was watching the movie The Man In the Iron Mask where the name of the torture device was Iron Maiden. We thought that was a great name for the band.

This is your second visit to India. What is it that fascinates you’ll about India?

India is a massive place so without committing to a huge tour of the country — which we simply can’t do — we wanted to get back as soon as we could.

It’s simple, if we play in a country which loves our music, we will keep coming back. India is a vibrant and lively place, and although it’s a bit of a shock to the system when you enter a completely different culture, I found the place very friendly and the people very respectful.

Another interview here taken from the Sun newspaper in the UK:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 743697.ece

Maiden flight for metal gods       

IRON MAIDEN jetted off for the start of their world tour with frontman BRUCE DICKINSON behind the controls of the band’s very own Boeing 757.

Part time commercial airline pilot Dickinson will fly the metal titans and all their equipment 50,000 miles around the globe on the jet they’ve dubbed Ed Force One, after their undead mascot Eddie.

Speaking to Music Biz exclusively from the tarmac of Stanstead airport Bruce said: “We've been around the world many times and done some pretty momentous things but this is a first, not just for us but for any band on the planet.

“When we came up with the idea of getting one big plane with all the band, crew and equipment on we didn't realise how complex it was.

“But here we finally are on our 757 which we've christened Ed Force One, with yours truly wearing his Captain's uniform, ready to fly us off around the Globe.

“We're doing 50,000 miles in 49 days and bringing Maiden mania to India, Australia, Japan, Mexico, all round South America and finally the US and Canada. That's 21 concerts, 19 cities, 10 countries and 400,000 fans.
“And we're bringing a Monster of a show with us - pyramids, cyborgs, special effects and a setlist to blow every Maiden fan's mind.

“The UK can see it all in July at Twickenham Stadium, so see you all then. And in the meantime, wish us luck as we set off on our Round The World mission to bring metal to the masses!"

The Somewhere Back In The World tour kicks off in Mumbai, India on Friday before visiting Twickenham Stadium on July 5.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The last part about putting on a "monster of a show" have got me even more excited for the shows ahead!

Also good to hear the mention of cyborgs - I was afraid they were all too hooked up on the "Live after Death revisited" thing, let's hope those cyborgs bring with them some good stuff from Somewhere in Time. (I mean, except for the obvious ones).

Re: New Bruce Dickinson interviews (last: 01-Feb-2008)

A short one.

Change in music industry doesn't affect us: Iron Maiden

MUMBAI:  "The changes in the music industry has not affected us adversely, because we always had a strong relationship with our fans," said lead vocalist of British heavy metal band 'Iron Maiden' Bruce Dickinson, who are here to open their world tour at the MMRDA Grounds, on Friday.

Dickinson said that being a live band, Iron Maiden has always had a direct and close relationship with their fans and have not been affected by the free downloads and MP3s that have bucked the global music industry.

"It would affect artists who have relationship with only their record labels and depend on record sales and not their fans. Two decades ago, the record companies had a monopoly over the music industry, but now there is more competition and democracy. May be, the music industry is heading back to the 20s and 30s, where music was played live without record companies," said Dickinson.

As for the bootleg recordings and merchandise of the band that are traded in the net, Dickinson said, "Again it depends on our relationship with our fans. We are aware that our unofficial recordings of our live shows are often downloaded on the net and some of them are pretty good."

"The fans also buy the official merchandise, which we make sure are quality stuff. However, what we do not believe is people who rip off our fans and the band with poor quality bootleg recordings and merchandise," said Dickinson.

On the relevance of the band after 30 years on the road, Dickinson said, "Though this tour is about having a retrospective look, we are not a nostalgia act. This tour is also for the young fans between 16-25 years who have never seen us. We are bigger and more successful than in the 80s. As for the new music, you can't slag off any person's music or taste."

Tipping the country's budding guitarists, Janick Jers says, "Practice, till you are good enough to express yourself and stick to your guns and don't compromise. It's not about making it big in the industry, but more about making a lot of noise."

Iron Maiden will proceed to Australia to play after 16 years, then head for the US and European leg of their 'Somewhere Back in Time' tour.

Back