New Bruce Dickinson interviews (last: 29-Jan-2008)

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
As stated in the topic title: Bruce might reveal a bit too much for some of us, so please do not react on that part, and if you do: Please use the spoiler tags, like I did.

Jason Nahrung / September 22, 2007 12:00am
Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 42,00.html

WHEN it comes to reinventing the 1980s, there are some lines that simply shouldn't be crossed. For Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson, it's Spandex.

Dickinson, 49, says the Somewhere Back in Time world tour revisits the heavy metal grandeur of their 1984-5 Powerslave tour. That production featured a stage set based around Ancient Egypt and the band's iconographic mascot, Eddie, and was captured on a renowned double live album, Live After Death.

Dickinson says next year's tour – the band's fourth visit to Australia, and first since 1992 – should satisfy decades of b*dgering from fans wanting to hear Maiden's hits live Down Under, but doesn't seek to replicate the Powerslave tour's past glory.

"We're not trying to rewrite the tour. It won't be Live After Death word for word. I won't be wearing my jocks on the outside of my Spandex.

"We'll be re-creating the cool bits, but the main thing is the music.

"We don't want to look like our own version of an Iron Maiden cover band," Dickinson says.

There's not much chance of that, given the line-up in Maiden is almost the same as that which toured Australia on the back on their 1982 breakthrough album, Number of the Beast, which hit No.1 in Australia.

Beast was Dickinson's first album with the British metal outfit and the band's third.

Iron Maiden formed in 1975, with bass player Steve Harris the only member still in the band. The current line-up, stable since 1999, is rounded out by guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers, and drummer Nicko McBrain.

All except Gers and McBrain played Australia in 1982. They've put out three studio albums. The latest was last year's acclaimed A Matter of Life and Death, and pulled massive crowds at gigs and festivals in Europe and North America.

The Somewhere Back in Time tour is one of Maiden's most extravagant, playing 20 cities on five continents in seven weeks. More concerts are scheduled in North America and Europe later in the year. All up, the outfit expects to play to more than 1.5½ million punters.

The tour focuses on Maiden's peak years in the 1980s, when Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave helped push it to the top of the metal ladder, further bolstered by hits from Somewhere in Time (1986) and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988). Maiden has remained an inspiration to bands and has enjoyed a resurgence of support in recent years thanks to solid studio albums and live performances.

Says Dickinson of the band's enduring popularity: "Maiden is a unique band. You could say we're one of the last of the originals.

"If anything, the fan base has regenerated. There's a whole new generation – two new generations – of kids turning up.

"We played Sweden and filled 50,000-seat soccer stadiums.

"We never filled a soccer stadium in the mid '80s. You look now and the first 50 rows are 16-year-olds.

"On our last tour we were able to play a new album (the 80-minute A Matter of Life and Death) in its entirety, and still sell out a worldwide tour of arenas. The fans are attracted to us because we are still an active musical force."

The tour gives Dickinson a chance to combine his twin loves of music and flying – he flies passenger jets for Astraeus Airlines, and on this tour will be sharing the piloting as the band, crew and equipment pile on to a specially outfitted airliner decked out in Maiden logos.

The upcoming tour is possibly Maiden's biggest, he says, and will feature some of the band's greatest hits, primarily from the '80s.
But fans who have wanted to hear the 8½-minute Alexander the Great played live will have to keep waiting.

"There's pretty much room for only one really epic song, and that's the one about a bird (Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 13½ minutes)".

For all the massiveness of the tour, Dickinson says Maiden – older and possibly wiser – is a more relaxed outfit than it used to be.

"Fifteen to 20 years ago we were under the gun, doing loads of touring. We were frazzled. People couldn't give it their best. It was like a sports team, someone was always injured.

"Now we know it's better to take three months off than to do a bad job. Our performance has improved, the reliability of the performance has improved as well."

Dickinson left Maiden in 1993 to pursue a solo career and returned in 1999. Along the way, he has amassed an impressive CV of achievements in addition to flying commercially.

A skilled fencer, he has had two novels published, and a movie he scripted about the life of infamous British occultist Aleister Crowley, Chemical Wedding, is due to be released next year.

Ancient Egypt seems a natural backdrop for a tour from one of the most flamboyant of bands, but Dickinson warns about reading too much into the band's stage dressing.

"As for Egypt, you could overrate the pudding on that one.

"We were interested in it in the mid '80s, and (the songs) Revelations and Powerslave take imagery from that era, but it's such a fabulous era to plunder.

"There's an outrageousness about Egypt and there's an outrageousness about heavy metal bands. Making these enormous stone pyramids for everyone to look at seems like heavy metal madness.

"They were over the top in monument construction – minimalists they were not.

"That strikes a chord – we're hardly Bauhaus in our aspirations."

Iron Maiden plays Brisbane Entertainment Centre on February 12. Tickets on sale from Thursday.

Re: New Bruce Dickinson interview (spoiler on upcoming setlist!)

Another one (source Blabbermouth.net)
IRON MAIDEN Singer On Flying, SHARON OSBOURNE, MÖTLEY CRÜE And Reality TV - Oct. 3, 2007 

Cameron Adams of Australia's Herald Sun recently conducted an interview with IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On working at Astraeus Airlines as a full-time pilot:

"Most of my holidays are planned around going on tour with IRON MAIDEN. We do a lot of charter work, taking oil workers to some pretty unforgiving places."

"People can come up to me after we've landed, but obviously with security they can't just come up to the front. I can't be flying a plane while I'm signing autographs. Even minor distractions can have a fairly embarrassing knock-on effect."

"I thought you had to be a rocket scientist to fly, but nothing could be further from the truth.

"When I first flew a plane it was such a revelation. One thing led to another and I went down the slippery slope to becoming a commercial pilot. There was never the intention when I started — I just thought I'd fly to the occasional show.

"There are similarities between the two. On stage, you have to hold it all together while all hell's breaking loose. Flying a big jetliner is more of an internal headspace, though take-offs and landings can get pretty exciting."

On being more than happy to let his music become famous, not himself:

"I'll court fame if it's useful, to sell a record. But the whole concept of fame is pretty daft, really. Being famous for being famous I find nauseating. I have managed to miss watching any reality TV. I can't tell you who's on 'Big Brother'."

On whether he has been asked to appear in "Osbournes"-style documentaries or reality TV.

"There have been offers. They've mainly come to me, being the singer and what have you, and being able to string a few words together. They think 'OK, he's bound to want to do it'. I was offered 'Celebrity Big Brother', or some crap like that.

"I wouldn't mind doing something on reality TV that was fun, like if the History Channel wanted to get me to fly a Spitfire. I'd do that."

On his legendary run-in with Sharon Osbourne at Ozzfest 2005:

"In my world that wasn't weird. She's famous for being famous. That's her world. People were saying 'Sharon Osbourne is upset with you'. That's fine with me. It was probably an issue in her world, not in mine."

On rumors that MÖTLEY CRÜE's Nikki Sixx had been spreading about Dickinson's wife:

"MÖTLEY CRÜE — again, famous for being famous. You hear, oh, 'MÖTLEY CRÜE are bad boys who did this and this'. Big deal. I mean, badly behaved boys? This is not new. I don't see what the big deal is. Go to any rugby club. The Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson sex video, it was almost like the circus freak, 'come and see the hideous deformed man'. I'd rather it be about the music."

On focusing on the music:

"There are no bands like IRON MAIDEN around now. That's why MAIDEN hasn't just prevailed but grown. We've gained three generations of fans since our original fans — all by word of mouth. The amount of media we've had —- we're not seen as cool, but all the bands that had all the attention have gone and we're still here. The fans get it.

"Especially now with the Internet. It's a matter of 'I like that song, I'll get it'. It's instant. The cultural battle is on — music is back to being about bands people actually like, rather than bands the media tell them to like."

I think it's possible that Bruce is one of the most intelligent men in the entire metal scene with comments like that.

I missed the whole Dickinson's wife stuff. Bruce has an amazing control about such stuff it seems. On stage he's less controlled, at times! ;)

I believe Nikki Sixx said the following:
"I am going to take your wife Paddy Dickinson out for a nice seafood dinner, and then NEVER call her again!"

Forostar said:
I missed the whole Dickinson's wife stuff. Bruce has an amazing control about such stuff it seems. On stage he's less controlled, at times! ;)

In the Motley Crue autobiography The Dirt, Sixx claimed to have slept with Dickinson's then-girlfriend-now-wife while the Crue was opening for Maiden on the World Slavery Tour. He claimed Bruce found out and wanted to kill Sixx with the fencing swords he brought along on tour.

Edit: let me go ahead and explain this more fully. I don't have the book available to quote, as I read a friend's copy which I have since returned. But here's the gist of it:

1. Sixx claimed that Bruce's girlfriend started coming on to him from the moment Crue joined the tour. He initially resisted, but eventually slept with her. This happened early on the tour, and Sixx spent the rest of the tour worrying about whether Bruce ever found out. Even though he never knew for sure (no direct evidence), he came to believe that Bruce did find out at some point.

2. Just before the Crue's last show on the tour, Bruce challenged Sixx to a backstage fencing match. Though Bruce appeared to be good-natured when issuing the challenge, Sixx was afraid Bruce was going to try and kill him. Sixx declined to fence with Bruce.

Remember, these are only the claims of Nikki Sixx; I do not present them as facts.

While I praise Bruce's intelligent comments, I must say I'm not surprised, since they've always been intelligent guys since forever  :smartarse:

That fencing battle would have been all over the news had it happened, bloody or not. But hey, who wouldn't be pissed if some other guy moved on your girl?

(source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=82210 ) -->
Another Bruce interview! He was interviewed late last month by Andrew Haug of Triple J's "Full Metal Racket" (based in Australia). Download the 15-minute interview in MP3 format at this location (6 MB).  --->
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/racket/in ... maiden.mp3

Setlist comments by Bruce:
"..Effectively, the leading potatoes of the setlist, gonna be taken from Powerslave, from Somewhere in Time, and from Seventh Son, with one or two things from Piece of Mind as well. I can't remember or not whether we did decide to cave in and say "well maybe there's one song or two that we HAVE to play from Number of the Beast" or not..."

Bruce talked about an albatros again: "If you're a fan of Monty Python take it with you to the show (or something) :)

When asked to chose one of his very favourite Maiden tracks to play on the radio, right after the interview, which the Aussies can expect to hear in Feb 08 in the monstrious set. "It gotta be this one then. We're certainly not gonna play this one at the end of the show: "Aces High".

Well, that sets it then. Aces High will be the opener, indeed! ;)

And another! It's pretty short though. This one was done by CNN.

"If a drummer can learn to fly a plane then anyone can."

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europ ... index.html

art.bruce.dickinson.jpg

edit:

And here what was on CNN today:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/in ... aol.bc.cnn

:)

I don't want to check out the spoiler-tag. I really don't want to know which particular songs are being played. But is there any info as to which period or albums it's going to be? ie. is it still Live After Death + Powerslave, SIT, SSoaSS or is it more wide-reaching? Or is it just Powerslave through SSoaSS?

Basically, that's all I want to know, so I can know kind of what to expect, but not any particular songs. If anyone could PM a reply or respond in a spoiler-tag. If Bruce specified which albums, that is :p

Check this spoiler, a quote of a Bruce interview on the Australian radio. He doesn't mention track titles, but he mentions albums. However, when you read this, it seems Bruce isn't 100% sure about one particular album:

"..Effectively, the leading potatoes of the setlist, gonna be taken from Powerslave, from Somewhere in Time, and from Seventh Son, with one or two things from Piece of Mind as well. I can't remember or not whether we did decide to cave in and say "well maybe there's one song or two that we HAVE to play from Number of the Beast" or not..."

That quote was just what I wanted to hear :p Could have been more definitive, but still, it bodes very well.

I don`t know whether you read it or not, but on the IM site it says it all:

Rod Smallwood, Iron Maiden's Manager, further commented; "Following Bruce's  various hints from on stage this last year about our plans for 2008 ("We are taking some time off to build some pyramids!"), fans have been pestering me for details of the tour and especially asking which songs from that era will be played. That may be as easy as a run in the hills but we will keep our aces close to our chest on this issue. I know it would only take a couple of minutes but at this stage of planning, I'd have to be clairvoyant to know what they will do. I'm sure though it will be no revelation for you that we intend to make up for those wasted years by visiting a large number of hallowed metal venues around the world. Historically 'Powerslave' was an incredibly important album for the band and it would be madness if we didn't give the fans a taste of the full on Iron Maiden show from that time.  With our jumbo there really is no rime nor reason why the band cannot now visit fans almost everywhere as many have been real troopers to have waited this long. Heaven only knows what the band will choose but if l could and did tell you now l would have to shoot you! You'll all have to be patient and see. But it will be spectacular. No fear!!"

I hope i did the spoiler thing correctly, if not, sorry.

So we get at least:

Run to the Hills
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clairvoyant
Revelations
Wasted Years
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Powerslave
Can I Play With Madness
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
The Trooper
Heaven Can Wait
Afraid to Shoot Strangers??? (I would have to shoot you)
And seemingly, no Fear of the Dark.

Over an hour already from those.  Sounds good  :)

Assuming that's not something Rod said to be facetious...

Hey! Iron Maiden's MySpace site has 4 new songs from the mid eighties (before these, they only had 2 from AMOLAD). I see it as an indication of what we could expect next year, or just to get in the right mood!

;-)

Judge yourself --> http://www.myspace.com/ironmaiden 

WARNING!

DO NOT VISIT THE "Fanclub"-PAGE OF IRONMAIDEN.COM!

There's a song-spoiler. I'll leave it at that, but they state definitely that one song will be played. I won't mention which album, or why they've mentioned it, but it's there, not hidden in any way.

Or... if you want to know which songs, by all means, visit :p

Based on what I've read (no fan club site!) I'll make this (2nd) prediction:

Iron Maiden

Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

The Trooper
Revelations (wish it would be Flight Of Icarus)

Intro: Churchill's Speech / Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave

Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait
Stranger In A Strange Land

Can I Play With Madness (wish it would be The Evil That Men Do or anyhting else of SSOASS)
The Clairvoyant
Infinite Dreams (probably toomuch asked)

Afraid To Shoot Strangers

I suppose IronMaiden.com's website is reliable, though the typo on the page Shrike references suggests otherwise.  I've never heard of the song...

Heaven Can't[??] Wait  :blink:

Back