Mysteries & the Supernatural

Have you ever noticed stuff they say about Zodiac signs to be true? I mean people who have the have the same Zodiac signs have similar characteristics etc...can there be any truth to that?
I´m a typical Aquarius, some of my exes were Capricorn and they both had indeed many similar characteristics.

OK, I'll put it here as well

Yeah, it's funny - I am prone to disbelieve and disregard and mock the idea of astrology altogether (because, yeah, duh), but although all the arguments regarding the futility of trying to read the stars in order to know the future still stand, as far as the character types are concerned, it does fit a lot, from my experience. For example, I am an Aquarius, with the Ascendent being Scorpio and the Descendent being Taurus. It all really fits.
My wife is a Capricorn and a very typical one at that. My mother is Aries and a typical one at that. Father is Gemini and a typical one at that. About a dozen people I know fit their signs a lot, hauntigly, even.

I can't really agree with the idea, but it's really weird.

Have you ever noticed stuff they say about Zodiac signs to be true? I mean people who have the have the same Zodiac signs have similar characteristics etc...can there be any truth to that?
In the early '90s Smash Hits included in their yearbook a series of joke Zodiac personality types (in addtion to "what they're best at", what they're worst at" etc it included such categories as "what they'd do with a pitchfork") and everyone agreed that the description of a Pisces fitted me pretty well. But what really made everyone say so confidently "that's you!" was that one of the things Pisceans are apparently worst at is making decisions - the example they gave being "would you like a cup of tea?": a question I was then known to take a long time answering.

I later discovered that Adrian is (?or was) apparently just the same ("Indecisiveness is Adrian's middle name. Even if you go out for a meal with Adrian, you'll be on the cheese and biscuits before he's even decided on his starter" - Rod) and it was this trait that got him the nickname "Willy Orwonthe" at one time. His birthday is four days after mine.

According to my Astronomy professor, no. None whatsoever. But I like to think so, it's harmless fun.

I just remembered something weird from my childhood. When I was small, both my dad and my grandparents sometimes mixed up my brother's name and mine. They usually caught themselves and corrected themselves, but especially for my grandparents, it almost became the usual appellation. Nothing odd there, we were their oldest grandchildren four years apart. Our names aren't similar except that they start with the same letter.

Anyway, in kindergarten, I had a teacher who would come once a week or so and consistently addressed me with my brother's name. She didn't know my brother, or even that I had one, and there was another kid in my class with that name.

This can be chalked up to funny coincidence, but much later, teachers in school did that too. I remember two distinct cases, and they didn't know my brother, nor was he even in the same school.

Right now, I have three explanations. 1) It's a glitch in the Matrix, 2) They crossed through parallel universes or 3) I'm actually in the Truman show, the teachers got casted after watching old episodes with my brother in them and fucked up their text, in which case I have you all figured out now.

Fucking hell, it happened again today. A colleague who knows nothing about me personally walked up to me and addressed me with my brother's name. I completely lost it and straight out asked him "why did you just call me that?" He said it was because he was previously talking to someone else with that name, but ffs. I've never been addressed with any other wrong name in my life, and this is starting to freak me out.

Fucking hell, it happened again today. A colleague who knows nothing about me personally walked up to me and addressed me with my brother's name. I completely lost it and straight out asked him "why did you just call me that?" He said it was because he was previously talking to someone else with that name, but ffs. I've never been addressed with any other wrong name in my life, and this is starting to freak me out.
Just after reading this I read your custom title: "His name struck fear into hearts of men." The plot thickens.

How common is your brother's name, and does it sound similar or start with the same letter?

How common is your brother's name, and does it sound similar or start with the same letter?

IMHO, they are rather similar, in fact although I've never met Per's brother and had to check Facebook right now what his name is, I might confuse the names as well, even completely by mistake, honestly. *shrugs*

Anyone else woke up in the middle of the night, staring to the digital clock and then notices it´s 1:11, 2:22 or 3:33?

I had a weirder experience, though it's about 15 years ago or so. I was asleep, alone in my room, and dreamt that I am awake and lying in my bed ... and that my hi-fi system is on, bathing the room in the blue light of its display. And that Hey You by Pink Floyd is playing on the radio.

I woke up and of course the radio was off, there was nobody who'd put it on. There was only my Mum, whose bedroom was on the opposite side of the house.
I decided to check and turned the radio on.

Hey You by Pink Floyd was playing. A song that almost never got radio airplay on the Czech radio, at least at around that particular point of time.

That was creepy af.

It's somewhat less common than my name, but not really uncommon, but both names aren't very similar except for starting with the same letter.

It's weird because, having met your brother (in the noisy pit of an Iron Maiden show) I would not ever confuse the two of you.

It's somewhat less common than my name, but not really uncommon, but both names aren't very similar except for starting with the same letter.

I think you're really just underestimating (well, overestimating) people. I personally have a hard time distinguishing between Martin, Mark and Matthew and one of those names is my birth name.

However, since I found out this thread.

I ain't superstitious. I believe in God, I have trust in Him, so I don't tend to fear devils all that much. And yet, there are things you just kinda don't do, because... why would you push your luck, right?

So for example, I have found out about an old folklore tradition when girls who wanted to get married, turned off all the lights in their house and with a single candle and a hand mirror in hand they walked around the house (sometimes there were additional conditions, like walking backwards or walking up and down the stairs) and allegedly, in the mirror they were supposed to see the glimpse of their future bridegroom. However, there was this off chance they might have seen ... something else in the mirror as well, which usually meant they were to be buried within a year or so.

Now, do I believe in this type of divination? Not really.

However, that is such a colosally stupid idea I just can't comprehend it.

Catoptromancy - as it's properly called - is one of the things I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole even back when I was an atheist. The human psyche has this tendency to "finish" and "correct" some of the sensations and perceptions you get, so when looking in the mirror in a darkened room, your brain has the tendency to "correct" and "finish" what it knows has to be there, even when you don't actually see it.
Long story short, looking in a mirror in the dark is one of the best ways to get yourself some nice hallucinations or autohypnosis.

Call it a superstition, but I find this all creepy as fuck.

Why do I say all of this? Because I was a witness to a similarly dumb or "colosally stupid" idea.

The creepiest thing I ever saw, the one "mate, you shouldn't fuck around with that" was with my ex-gf, some 13 years ago. I was at college and the dormitory was right next to a historical cloister in the outskirts of Prague. Including the cemetery. Being young and stupid, me and the boys back then used to go to the cemetery at night, not to really misbehave, we just liked cemeteries and it had this mysterious atmosphere at night.
Also, some famous people are interred there, including the Czech Catholic protest-folkie Kryl, on whose grave we always left a cigarette.

Well, once my then-gf heard about it, she went completely crazy. Absolutely bonkers, asking me, really passionately, to not do it, ever, ever again.

Thing is, the "nigthtime cemetery visits" were this sort of tradition at the dormitory, she was somewhat older than me, so she used to do it as well.
And being "colosally stupid" (her choice of words), she decided to take some photos there with her camera.

After a lot of convincing, she showed me the photos. She refused to look at them, saying she didn't even know why she kept them - but she also kinda couldn't push herself to delete them. I guess you might get some kind of mental block, sometimes.

And honestly, it was the most fucked-up thing I ever saw.
It is one of those things that you tend to erase from your mind, because you can't quite comprehend it, so your memory tends to obscure it and make it vague.

Some photos were fine, but on some there were these... I cant describe it, it looked like green clouds, but with really sharp linings, not in the background, nor right in front of camera, but somewhere in the middle. Sometimes just rolling on the ground next to a grave, but some looked like figures. Worst of all, I could almost swear that some of those had reflections that looked... almost like eyes.

I still love cemeteries and to this day I'm not really afraid there - especially since I mostly visit those that are still next to a church and the deceased there probably had their funeral rites performed alright - I find it calming, spiritual, uplifting. Me and wifey are really passionate about them, usually when we travel somewhere, our first steps lead to the local church, the local cemetery, other old buildings and nature in the vicinity (and then we're finished and we can leave).

Being slightly inebriated back then when she was showing me the photos, I can also have the comfort of being able to tell myself it might not have been so. That I was mistaken somehow. That I saw it wrong or that it was part of some elaborate scam on her part, even though I tend to doubt that.
Mind is funny this way.

But precisely because I fear God and His order He gave to the world, I have respect towards cemeteries now. And never would I ever take a photo there near midnight.

I have no time to watch a 30 min. documentary right now.
Can you tell me what is about ?
From the description: "Exploring the chilling encounters that took place in Argentina, in September 1972. Mysterious sightings of a humanoid entity reported by witnesses working at the Ika-Renault factory. "

If you want more details, you'd better watch the video, it's too much to explain.

From the description: "Exploring the chilling encounters that took place in Argentina, in September 1972. Mysterious sightings of a humanoid entity reported by witnesses working at the Ika-Renault factory. "

If you want more details, you'd better watch the video, it's too much to explain.
Thanks, maybe I'll do it later.

I've seen 23 min. of the documentary. Well at the beginning I thought it could be Mr Marino hallucinations or mental breakdown or it was something wrong in his head. But the truck driver saw the same hours later so… I have no explain. No cameras at that time so, people tends to don't believe in this kind of things until it happened in front of their faces.

Last week I was in a hospital room ready to get out from there after one day resting from a surgery. Meanwhile I was waiting to get the papers from the doctor I was alone in the room sit in the armchair and looking to the door lockers made of wood. No reflections possible from anywhere, just me in front of staring at the white door. I've seen the wheels of hospital stretchers moving fast all together. I blinked and later it turns into babies strollers, moving fast and fast. The doctor and nurse came and it was gone. I turned to looking at the door and I could see more so clear like it was a crystal instead of a white door made of wood. Five or six years back, my father was into the same room ill and recovering. When he returned to home. He had hallucinations, seeing figures of strange people where no one was. Weird, isn't it? something wrong with that room? I think all is a matter of the mind, low blood pressure or you are in middle of recovering process.

I told it to a nurse What I was seeing and she laughed at my face…B**ch! :lol:

It's a pretty standard story TBH. Reminds me of a couple of channels I follow on Youtube.

Bedtime Stories: https://www.youtube.com/@BedtimeStoriesChannel

The Why Files: https://www.youtube.com/@TheWhyFiles

Bedtime Stories has been very consistent with their content in style, narration, production, etc. I personally prefer early Why Files to his more recent pandering to conspiracy theorists fodder. It's still entertaining, like the Argentinian story, but less satisfying.

Back