My "Flight:666" SXSW Review...

There have been a number of online leaks.  The most consistent date has been May 13, the earliest was April 27 if I remember correctly.

Cdon.com (probably Scandinavia's biggest media online shop) says 2009-05-25. Apperantly, it's gonna be an
album, a dvd and a special edition... That's what Cdon says, at least

Yes. On the Iron Maiden forum I have seen a tracklist floating of the new live-album. As Adrian told us more than a year ago: "A Real Live One"-format, every song from a different gig (not chronological though):

Churchill's Speech / Aces High (Live In Mumbai 1/2/08)
2 Minutes To Midnight (Live In Melbourne 7/2/08)
Revelations (Live In Sydney 9/2/08)
The Trooper (Live In Tokyo 16/2/08)
Wasted Years (Live In Monterrey 22/2/08)
The Number Of The Beast (Live In Los Angeles 19/2/08)
Can I Play With Madness (Live In Mexico City 24/2/08)
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (Live In New Jersey 14/3/08)
Powerslave (Live In San Jose 26/2/08)
Heaven Can Wait (Live In Sao Paulo 2/3/08)
Run To The Hills (Live In Bogota 28/2/08)
Fear Of The Dark (Live In Buenos Aires 7/3/08)
Iron Maiden (Live In Santiago 9/3/08)
Moonchild (Live In San Juan 12/3/08)
The Clairvoyant (Live In Curitiba 4/3/08)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (Live In Toronto 16/3/08)

Shame they didn't push it back (at least the live album) to include tracks from this leg, because then we'd have one hell of a live album.

I'd only miss Phantom. Who knows it might appear on a future single?

COTD will be on the Donington 2007 release, so in that way this gem stays extra special. ;)

Here all the official info!!

Just checked the official site! Huge update!

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?cat ... cleid=1125

Flight 666 Blu-ray, 2-DVD set and live double soundtrack album
Published: April 14, 2009

"IRON MAIDEN: FLIGHT 666" Available Monday 25th May on EMI Records (Tuesday June 9th in Canada) and June 9th in the USA via Universal Music Enterprises on Blu-ray, 2-DVD Set and Live Double Soundtrack Album 

Can you handle 45 days on the road on the most adventurous rock tour ever?

On Tuesday, April 21, 2009 the award winning Film FLIGHT 666 will be screened in over 450 special digital movie theatres in 42 Countries!

Advance reviews and phenomenal media and fan reaction from private screenings of the first ever full length feature film from Brit award winners IRON MAIDEN have prompted EMI Records (Ume USA) to rush release the film and soundtrack for home-viewing enjoyment.

FLIGHT 666 will be released on extended Blu-ray and DVD formats, alongside a double-CD soundtrack album and limited edition double-vinyl picture disc which will be available Monday 25th May on EMI Records, and Tuesday 9th June on EMI Records Canada and UMe in the USA.

Filmed digitally in Hi Def to provide pristine picture quality, FLIGHT 666 was directed by Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen with the award-winning Banger Productions team ('Metal; A Headbanger's Story' and 'Global Metal') who take you right inside the Maiden family with almost total access to the band, something which Maiden have never allowed before. The stunning 5.1 soundtrack was specially mixed by Maiden producer Kevin Shirley to complement the picture quality as an ultimate attack on your senses.

'Flight 666' documents the first leg of Maiden's legendary SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME WORLD TOUR which took them 50,000 miles round the planet playing 23 concerts on five continents in just 45 days. One of the stars of the movie is the band's customised Boeing 757, Ed Force One, which carried the band, all their crew and 12 tons of stage equipment and was piloted by Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson, a fully qualified and active Airline Captain with Astraeus Airlines.

Taking you on a visual global tour from Mumbai to Sydney, Tokyo to L.A., Mexico City to Costa Rica, Bogota to Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires and Santiago to New York and Toronto and places in-between, you travel with the band and crew on the plane, to and from shows, in the bar and during leisure time, while experiencing the exhaustion and fan pandemonium that comes with such as mission.

FLIGHT 666 (named after the official airways flight call) reveals how the idea for this unique tour actually came about and how complex planning turned it into a reality.  The documentary also contains some of the most spectacular live footage yet seen of the band, filmed in all of those locations and beyond. If you have ever wanted to see the inside story of a truly unique and worldwide tour, taking you to places you never imagined, Maiden fan or not, this is your opportunity.

As a very special bonus for the fans, Maiden have included a second disc of the entire set from the 2008 segment of this tour with the DVD (and as a long-play Blu-ray). Sixteen songs from sixteen different cities in eleven countries around the world, for the first time ever encompassing such varied places and cultures in one concert. (See full track listing below). In addition to a standard double DVD, EMI will release a special souvenir Limited Edition Deluxe DVD with 30 page booklet. The soundtrack audio version of the live show will be available on two CDs, as a limited edition vinyl set with two picture discs, and a digital download especially for those fans who do not have DVD access or just want to enjoy the show as a great live album.  All are lavishly packaged as an ultimate memento of a tour to remember!
To recognize the global phenomenon of Maiden, the Blu-ray/DVD are also subtitled in Hindi, Japanese, Dutch, German, Spanish, Brazilian, French, Italian, Portuguese and Swedish

Comments band manager Rod Smallwood; "It's been a mammoth undertaking.  From the first twinkle in Bruce's eye it's taken about three years to put band, crew and equipment in a giant flying 'splitter bus', to go through all the long and tiresome prep and safety regulations and planning, to the actual filming and of the tour itself, through to post production and right up to putting together all these items in the very best quality possible for our fans."

"It's great that with MAIDEN DAY on Tuesday April 21, we can give our fans the opportunity of seeing this digitally on big screen in Hi Def with the full-on 5.1 sound experience with other fans around them.  It was also very rewarding that it has won the prestigious SXSW Film Festival Award for Best Music Documentary."

The 'Somewhere Back in Time Tour' reached almost 2 million fans in 39 countries and, if there is one thing l know from managing Maiden all these years, it's that our fans are not happy to wait too long, so we are delighted that EMI (Ume USA) are rush-releasing the DVD.  This closes the chapter on an absolutely brilliant experience delving into the past for the band, myself and my team, the crew and hopefully all of you fans out there. After the summer and some deserved time off, we will concentrate on the 'new' with the band starting to put together material for a brand new studio album due sometime later in 2010. And, of course, after that we will look forward to seeing all our fans again!!"

The film FLIGHT 666 is being released in the following manner:

Long-play Blu-ray with FLIGHT 666: THE FILM  and FLIGHT 666: The Concert (215 minutes)*

Double DVD
Disc One: FLIGHT 666 : THE FILM (112 minutes)   
Disc Two: FLIGHT 666 : The Concert (104 minutes)*

Plus Limited Edition Deluxe Double DVD of the above with special packaging and 30 page booklet

FLIGHT 666: The Original Soundtrack album - Double CD*

FLIGHT 666: The Original Soundtrack album - Limited Edition Double Vinyl Picture Disc

FULL TRACK LISTING
for the bonus *concert footage on DVD and Blu-ray, plus the double Live Soundtrack CD

(CD 1)
ACES HIGH
Bandra Kurla Complex/Mumbai, India
February 1, 2008

2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
Rod Laver Arena/Melbourne, Australia
February 7, 2008

REVELATIONS
Acer Arena/Sydney, Australia
February 9, 2008

THE TROOPER
Makuhari Messe/Tokyo, Japan
February 16, 2008

WASTED YEARS
Arena Monterrey/Monterrey, Mexico
February 22, 2008

THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST
The Forum/Los Angeles, USA
February 19, 2008

CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS
Foro Sol/Mexico City, Mexico
February 24, 2008

RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER
Izod Center/New Jersey, USA
March 14, 2008

(CD 2)
POWERSLAVE
Saprissa Stadium/San Jose, Costa Rica
February 26, 2008

HEAVEN CAN WAIT
Palmeiras Stadium/Sao Paulo, Brazil
March 2, 2008

RUN TO THE HILLS
Simon Bolivar Park/Bogota, Colombia
February 28, 2008

FEAR OF THE DARK
Ferrocarril Oeste Stadium/Buenos Aires, Argentina
March 7, 2008

IRON MAIDEN
Pista Atletica/Santiago, Chile
March 9, 2008

MOONCHILD
Coliseo de Puerto Rico/San Juan, Puerto Rico
March 12, 2008

THE CLAIRVOYANT
Pedreira Paulo Leminski/Curitiba, Brazil
March 4, 2008

HALLOWED BE THY NAME
Air Canada Centre/Toronto, Canada
March 16, 2008

Great stuff! I hope the 30-page booklet version won't be too expensive...

national acrobat said:
I've won tickets to the London premiere on Monday, I'm so excited!  :yey:

You got some on me, Nush.  Congrats mate!  I hope it's epic, awesome, and superb!

Just came back from the film; guess I saw it first of the guys seeing it on Tuesday, I'm ahead of you guys in timezone. :bigsmile:  I have so many comments that I won't/can't write right now, so I'll just say that the video and sound quality was superb.  I've never seen Maiden so big, so clear.  Listening to MP3 Maiden on the way home sounded like shit after that, and my MP3s or headphones aren't exactly crap quality either.

Yeah, the auditory experience should be superb, since we get both a decent sound system and the superbly produced soundtrack, which can't always be realized during a live show. Can't wait for Sunday when I get to see the movie!

:( They said we're not worthy to see Flight 666.
:S They said we won't see it.
:mad: They made us angry!

No six six six here. No six six six here.

Well I watched it yesterday and it was really cool.
The biggest surprise to me was the fact that Janick has a degree in sociology.

Lovro said:
Well I watched it yesterday and it was really cool.
The biggest surprise to me was the fact that Janick has a degree in sociology.

Yes, he always struck me as less educated for some reason.  I did sort of cringe though when H said "he's a very well educated man", specifically about the "very".  By the way, does anyone else in Maiden have higher education except Bruce and Janick?  Steve, Dave, and H don't, to the best of my knowledge, so what about Nicko?  I'd guess not...

But hasn't anyone seen the film yet?  I was expecting a lot more discussion to be honest.

I am kinda waiting for the DVD release but after all these reactions I am doubting a bit more. :)

I've always had the impression Janick is a wise and intelligent person so I am not surprised to read this.

Forostar said:
I am kinda waiting for the DVD release but after all these reactions I am doubting a bit more. :)

I've always had the impression Janick is a wise and intelligent person so I am not surprised to read this.

I tell you, if you can still see it, then SEE IT.  The audio and video quality is breathtaking, it's like standing in the audience at the gig except with better sound quality than you can ever have in a gig.  When the first song started and the audience made noise, I first thought the people in the theater were making that noise.  Seeing it on DVD just doesn't do it justice, probably even Blu-Ray isn't enough. 

As for Janick, I always thought he was more of a fool-around type of guy, but that may be biased by me not seeing him as much in videos and documentaries that much. I remember in the Rock in Rio documentary Bruce was fencing, H fishing, Nicko and Dave golfing, Steve playing football, and Janick went around town and found some coconuts (well, my memory is a bit hazy on this, but point being, he didn't do much).  That was pretty much my first exposure to Janick as a person, so it might have biased my opinions. 
Nicko talked about how Jan is
very much a "lone soldier" who goes off and does things a lot by himself.  They were touring at some pyramids, and he goes on to explain how even now he's gone off somewhere and will come back eventually.  During this you can see Jan in the background, and then the cameraman points out "he's right behind you." :D

Janick the explorer. :)
I find that it shows much more interest for the world than golfing and fishing if you ask me.

Thanks for the tip about going, I'll see if I can manage!

I've seen it yesterday and I agree with Invader, if you have the chance to see it in a cinema, don't even hesitate! As he said, it's like being right there in the middle of the audience but hearing everything they play and sing perfectly clear! It's like being in Ed Force One with the band and crew, in the hotels, in the vans after the show... Just brilliant stuff! Can't wait for the DVD to come out!

And I must say that I've gained respect for Janick as a person, exactly like Forostar said, he's using the opportunity to explore all the cities the band goes to, while others mainly sit around the hotel or go and do their usual activities.

Back