My "Flight:666" SXSW Review...

Tap_Legion

Trooper
Anyone remember on the "Early Days" DVD where Bruce is talking about the NOTB tour and mentions some guy outside a venue carrying a huge cross on his shoulder, only to improve on Jesus version by adding a tail wheel?

Well, I guess the guy was in town for the premiere but decided to watch from across the street:

666_Jeebuz.jpg

Anyway, made it to the Paramount around 4PM and met a couple of Maiden fans and about 45 minutes later, Kevin Shirley, Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen came out and said hello...Made it into the theatre around 7:15PM.

Marquee:

666_sign.jpg

Me and Kevin Shirley:
Me_Kevin.jpg

Had a brief introduction from the Sam and Scot and off we go...Flight:666 looked and sounded WONDERFUL. Not only is Shirley a nice guy but he's done a brilliant job mixing this...the sound is truly amazing.
What can I say about Sam and Scott's work? this film looks like a work of love and it shows. The camera work is brilliant and it was edited together beautifully.

As you know, the film starts with the show in India and then later to Australia. Nicko enjoys pizza. Great scene where Adrian goes to play tennis and tries to return a serve by one of the fastest servers in the game...Ball nearly take his head off!

Tons of crowd video in every country mixed with backstage and concert footage. Nicko eats more pizza. There's a nice segment where Bruce is doing his Steve Erwin imitation while the camera guys are filming Rod sleeping...classic.

Band does the show in LA and the elbow rubbers are out in full force.

XXX doggy footage and some nudity from a topless, 36C cup Maiden fan and we eventually end up in South America where it gets pretty hectic. The fans down there are manic. From the "ass end of the world" in Costa Rica to the militarized Colombia, those fans are the most passionate I've ever witnessed. One particular scene was the video cam on a Maiden fan after the show, holding one of Nicko's sticks, resting it against his forehead. The guy is so overcome with emotion and adrenaline from the show that its made him start to cry. Its sounds funny, but you really can feel the emotion...Nice job with the camera work here.

Did I mention the FANTASTIC chase plane footage of Ed Force One in flight? Wow...truly breath taking.

Interesting segment I'd like to title "1/2 Inch To Disaster" starring Nicko Mcbrain which sheds some light on how close this tour could of ended. Sometimes the Music Gods smile down on the faithful.

All in all, Flight: 666 is a triumph. It flew by so quickly, which is usually the case with well made films, and will delight even the most casual metal/music fan. Can't wait for the DVD which will contain complete footage of each song from each show plus tons of unused footage. The release date is forth coming.

EDIT: This review is dedicated to the 2-3 guys head banging and waiving their shirts in the air during the premiere...Hey guys, you do know this is a film, yeah?

Sweet review.  Can't wait to see it myself, though cinema times for Montreal haven't been announced yet  :eek:

I remember Nicko talking about the "1/2 inch to disaster" in one of the IMTVs.  Scarily close.

Tap_Legion said:
EDIT: This review is dedicated to the 2-3 guys head banging and waiving their shirts in the air during the premiere...Hey guys, you do know this is a film, yeah?
:D

I went to buy my tickets for the film on Friday, but the box office was closed. Still a month til it shows here; looking forward to it.

Don't we use spoiler tags when we talk about (scenes of) films (especially when the film is not available to most of us, yet)?

I skipped those film parts but thanks for the rest, it must have been a marvelous day!  :ok:

According to this page of the Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft (FSK, Voluntary Self Regulation of the Movie Industry), a German motion picture rating system organisation run by the Spitzenorganisation der Filmwirtschaft (SPIO, Head Organisation of the Movie Industry), we'll get the following:

Documentary length: 112m 13s
Concert length: 102m 47s

The FSK is known to not rate bootlegs and such, so I say it's a pretty reliable source.

Just a minor thing, but why is the length of the film in spoiler tags?  At least on my tickets (and when I bought the ticket) it says that the movie is that long.

Can't wait though.  I'll see Flight 666 on the 21st and Blaze live the very next day!  :okok:  I wish I had two Maiden shirts, now I'll have to wear the same shirt on two days.  :D

Forostar said:
According to this page of the Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft (FSK, Voluntary Self Regulation of the Movie Industry), a German motion picture rating system organisation run by the Spitzenorganisation der Filmwirtschaft (SPIO, Head Organisation of the Movie Industry), we'll get the following:

Documentary length: 112m 13s
Concert length: 102m 47s

I don't get this distinction... Are we supposed to get just 10 minutes of actual documentary footage and 102 minutes of the show?

I expect the documentary only, can't imagine it will be such a long program.

What bothers me a bit is the following:

A. Shall I first see the concert and then see all those concert fragments again when I see the film?
B. Shall I first see the film and then see all those concert fragments again when I see the concert?

Or will this "problem" not occur since the concert scenes in the film will be different from everything we'll get when we'll see the concert itself?

I expect the concert fragments will be rather brief, so it shouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure whether I'll get the DVD though, since I'll already see the film in the theater.

We'll see about that. It can be quite annoying to see everything twice, but perhaps this will be different from what I expect.

Any idea when the double dvd might be coming out? Or are we still in the rumour phase about all this?

Back