Murders in the Rue Morgue

How good is Murders in the Rue Morgue on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Murders In The Rue Morgue' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'murders In The Rue Morgue'

This song has one of the best intros they have ever done. It's a shame they only play Wrathchild or Killers instead of this one.

A W E S O M E!!! That's what I call a forgotten classic! Great intro, nice aggression and cool vocal performance by Paul. That's Maiden at their best! 5 stars

Agreed. Along with Killers it's without doubt the best song of the album! Probably the best Maiden intro ever, good vocal melody and the raw sparkling energy that characterises the Di'Anno albums. I rated it long ago though so I can't remember what I voted for, but I guess either 5 or 4.5 stars.

I had to give this one the five... One of my all time favourites, along with Revelations and The Evil That Men Do. Exceptional intro, nice flow, rocking feel, and above all, the absolutely fenomenal tripple - two guitars and bass solo. One of my beloved moments in music [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Excellent song. The lyrics fit perfectly with the Killer mood created in this album. What makes it a "strong" track, is the slow intro followed by the fast snare-roll and the lyrics, starting :"I remember it as plain as day, altough it happened in the dark of the night!" Great lyrics.... just great. 5 stars !

Cheers

This song is really great but I wish that Paul would make the phrases a little more understandable, he sings it so fast….
Anyways, this song has one of the best harmony in Maiden history and this, alone, gain my five stars

4 stars from me. It really is one of the forgotten greats by Maiden (along with things like PotO, the Prisoner). The intro is really mood-setting (are those broken chords in D minor? It reminds me of Ktulu and Hangar18). Really catchy chorus, although I would've loved to see Bruce sing it (I got into Maiden too late to see their Early Days tour when it came here). The more I listen to it, the more I love it. Great stuff!

Well, since it is playing on my MP3 player right now, I guess I can rate it too.
Not much to add to the above comments. It really is a brilliant song and deserves far more recognition that it gets. Five stars, no less.

Daily Song: Murders in the Rue Morgue

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Murders in the Rue Morgue

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I like this song, but not as much as some people do. It never fully clicked with me, though it is a rockin' track. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Murders in the Rue Morgue

9 although I was close to giving it a 10. It's my 2nd favourite Di'Anno song after PotO. The intro is brilliant and Clive's drum roll signals the real song to begin brilliantly. The speed of the song (especially the vocals) is phenomenal. I love the "Now I gotta get away from the arms of the law" section and the little bassline after to join it back into the main song.

Catchy, fast but with plenty of different parts to keep it interesting and fun throughout. A great song.

One of the better pre-Bruce songs, but I'm not such a big fan of the first two albums in general relative to the rest of their discography.

7/10

This is the centrepiece of the album for me.
Love the way it veers along 100 mph and almost out of control and how Clive seems to be chasing the guitars.
They take a breath, he catches up and they're off again.
This (after Phantom) is the second best Paul track. Nine.

PS Can someone explain why the Ides of March gets its own title while the first minute of this one doesn't?

This is my second favourite track from the album. I love how the intro slowly rises, making you expect something grand, and then the whole song crashes in with the drums. A great, rocking track, that as so often is full of raw versions of the trademarks we love about our favourite band.

EDIT: No, I can't give this more than 9/10, because it still can't reach the tenner on this album.

Jonszat said:
9 although I was close to giving it a 10. It's my 2nd favourite Di'Anno song after PotO. The intro is brilliant and Clive's drum roll signals the real song to begin brilliantly. The speed of the song (especially the vocals) is phenomenal. I love the "Now I gotta get away from the arms of the law" section and the little bassline after to join it back into the main song.

Catchy, fast but with plenty of different parts to keep it interesting and fun throughout. A great song.
::) A fantastic song. Love Prance

It's definitely the best song on the album, and because of that I could give it 10.  It's not quite up there with the best songs on other albums, though, so it's a 9.  I love the Beast over Hammersmith version.

This song includes four highlights: the acoustic intro, the drum roll after the intro, Paul's voice during the bridge, and the harmony solo.

However, the chorus vocal line follows the guitars and I feel they could have written a more interesting vocal line.

Read the book, it fits in pretty well. My 3rd favorite from Paul era.

10/10.

Back