Mother of Mercy

How good is Mother of Mercy on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Mother of Mercy

Decent enough song, but Bruce's voice sounds too strained for my liking. :(

8/10 - it has the atmosphere of the longest day and PFD which are both strong 10's. What throws it down is that despite all the emotion with such great war epics mother of mercy is just left wanting more, more time to develop, more grit, more imagery... is it that next to such epics a straight war song is no longer acceptable  :huh:    nah its still great :yey:

8/10. This one took awhille to grow on me. It's not that I disliked it, but it never really blew my hair back until fairly recently. I think Bruce's vocal sounds a little strained, but outside of that, it's a pretty good tune. I agree that it sounds like a song that should have been on AMOLAD.

I wonder how many more songs Maiden can write about hopeless wars? This one is good though and I tend to get the chorus stuck in my head. 7/10.

Chorus is not so good but the rest is perfect. Bruce's vocals, great melodies etc. 9/10.

9 from me. Took me a while to get into it, but I'm there now.

Good guitar melodies and vocal lines, although I think that chorus could've been sung better. It lacks some intensity to make it better though... 8/10.

Really not a fan of this song, and I find that this is the weakest song from the album (Actually, the first 3 songs are my least favourite songs from the album). Really don't like the chorus (and Bruce really does sound a bit strained there), and the music isn't all that great either. The solo is the only part of the song that I really like, but it's not up with the best of solos. 5/10.

I've downloaded leaked album couple of days before it hit the stores here. The moment that impressed most on the first listen, was the intro of this track. It's an excellent track, i love the chorus, it's heavy as fuck, but the song remains in same tempo too long. After that banging riff @ the end of the intro, i expected it to explode, not just keep rolling. 8.

The intro and verse part is great, but I must admit that the chorus sounds very... I don't know how to explain it. Forced, strained and poorly thought-out at the same time. It's not horrible, but it just feels like they had trouble coming up with something here. In fact, the chorus of this song may well be my least favourite moment on the album. It's tolerable and I don't cringe when I hear it, but I still think they could have come up with something better.
In total, the song is not band and creates a good tension and scary imagery... but all the same, it just feels a bit forced. Like the boys saying, "Oy, we need a war song! Can we write something better than The Longest Day?" "No, but we can try writing The Longest Day again..."

Weakest track from the album, 6/10.

An early favourite of mine. I already loved it after the first spinning. The beginning is stunning. Bruce's melody lines and singing fit perfect to the music. The best part is the stuff right after the first chorus + the solo (and the Sabbathish grooving music underneath). It sounds dark and heavy at the same time. Love it!

The only minor aspect is that that solo section finishes pretty early. I rather had it twice as long.

The third song in a row with a weak chorus. In general, I have similar feelings about this one as I have about "The Final Frontier"; enjoyable but ultimately rather forgettable. This one in particular could have done with being about two minutes shorter. 6 on a good day, 5 on a bad one. Today, I'm afraid, is a bad one.

Liked this song on my initial listen to it and I still really like it, it builds nicely, good melodies, really like Nicko's drumming on this song, 9/10.

This is a great song. I love the rhythm to it. It's a great rocker. And a great solo too! 8/10

Up until the chorus, the equal of any smart metal pop song ever done — nice intro riff and great interplay between the rhythm and the melody.. The chorus, and the way Bruce strains to sing it knock it down a notch. And it loses some of its impact as it progresses, despite another good lyric. Eight.

The thing about the chorus that I find annoying is that it really didn't have to be that high.  I sing along to this all the time while cranking the album and actually taking it down an octave could have made a world of difference.

I like the song, but it seems to not fit on this album, it seems like a AMOLAD leftover.  I give it a 7.

10. Bruce just soars and shines in this song. The theme is recurrent, but Steve captures perfectly the unavoidable task for the soldier to do and his claim to be forgiven for all those acts. Maiden tunes in D here and it doesn't give more heaviness as it should (maybe Steve's bass would disappear if the guitars were heavier, which is one of the things Adrian got pissed off about the making of this album, for sure). Despite it, all in this song is perfect, it's classic Maiden with a killer solo by Smith. There isn't much more I can say. One of the highlights
and I can't believe it is not on the actual set list.

About time I got around to actually give the song a rating.

This one is very different from the first two songs on the album, it certainly has an AMOLAD feel (not to mention its very AMOLADish lyrics - the only song on The Final Frontier which is war-themed). It has some parts that I really like, but again, it doesn't have the little extra. Another 8.

Back