Most Underrated Maiden Song

Which Iron Maiden song do you think is most under looked?

• Still Life

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • another song

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
Still Life, this masterpiece has been ignored by many fans, unfortunately. This song features beautiful guitar work, a sturdy bassline, and some of the most mysterious lyrics in a Maiden song. Bruce conveys so much emotion in the lyrics (I feel that im weaker everyday...) that I begin to feel the main character's insanity first-hand. The ending never tells you what happened to the two main characters, which gives the listener the freedom to use their imagination. That is why Still Life is my favorite song on Piece of Mind, and, in my opinion, the most underrated Iron Maiden song.

Also, I don't know how to change the voting poll into a writen poll. Can someone please tell me how? Sorry for being such a n00b  :p

Basically, you can't do it. I can lock the poll for you so people can discuss things.

The only thing I do not like about this one is the ''joke-intro'' at the very beginning. It ruins the feeling of descending into insanity. Other than that I adore this song too :)

Still Life is one of my favorite songs. If it is underrated or not I do not care. I know the songs I like most. That is what counts for me.

I always said that Strange World and Prodigal Son are the most underrated Maiden songs.
They are simply beautiful, and Maiden lack this kind of songs in their live set.

Metal_Messiah said:
Sea of Madness  :wub:

Amen. Since 1988 it's always been HCW and/or Wasted Years (and in 1999 there was SIASL but not on a big part of the tour). So it's about time "the 3rd Smith song" (or else any other SIT track) is getting some more recognition.

Caught Somewhere In Time for the following reasons:

* perfect opener to an album that was a massive departure in style from Powerslave
* sets the futuristic feel for the album
* the sensational and long guitar solos, the beginning of Adrians being the greatest metal lick ever
* its the "almost" title track, which always ups the expectation in a Maiden song...and it delivers!
* it contains lyrics so amazing that Steve decided to re-use them 20 years later...."like a wolf in sheeps clothing"!

A travesty that this underrated Maiden classic has not been played live since 87. Thank the good god of metal I saw them on that tour. Ay-ee!!

When they announced the Somewhere Back in Time tour, I thought it would be a no-brainer to play Caught Somewhere in Time. But alas, we were stuck with Heaven Can Wait yet again. Please, retire that song from the setlist already!

In general the entire fuckin' album is underrated by Maiden when it comes to setlists. They hardly ever play anything but Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait.

And Wasted Years isn't really played that frequently. Certainly compared to HCW.

Oh Maiden, will you ever satisfy us with a setlist?

The same thing applies with Infinite Dreams versus The Clairvoyant and Can i Play with Madness. By the way, Take a look in the pool and what do you see - The studio version is superb, fantastic song.

Eddies Wingman said:
In general the entire fuckin' album is underrated by Maiden when it comes to setlists. They hardly ever play anything but Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait.

Ah well, at least Maiden's setlist-selection fits the choice of a huge majority of the forum members who voted in that album killing poll, remember? SIT was trashed in an instant.  <_<

Forostar said:
Ah well, at least Maiden's setlist-selection fits the choice of a huge majority of the forum members who voted in that album killing poll, remember? SIT was trashed in an instant.  <_<

I think that has a lot to do with the order of the poll. Had we started newest to oldest SIT may have had better results. Battling the top 10 songs from IM, Killers, NOTB, POM and Powerslave is no picnic.

By the way, the SIT song that finds its way into setlists most often is HCW, which was the 2nd song voted off from SIT. For me, that is the bigger complaint.

Why do you people even still go to Maiden gigs if all you do is complain about the setlist?

To watch Janick throw his guitar in the air, spin around, stretch his legs on the amps and butcher solos that used to belong to Adrian.

Back