Most Underrated Maiden Song

Which Iron Maiden song do you think is most under looked?

• Still Life

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • another song

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
Forostar said:
Ah well, at least Maiden's setlist-selection fits the choice of a huge majority of the forum members who voted in that album killing poll, remember? SIT was trashed in an instant.  <_<

Maybe not; people might love to hear some 'rarities' live, while still not liking that studio album. I have yet to find more than a couple of people who lauds Maiden for their set-list choices.

Habberdasher said:
To watch Janick throw his guitar in the air, spin around, stretch his legs on the amps and butcher solos that used to belong to Adrian.
That made me laugh...

I'm not someone who's crazy about solos, but for some reason I prefer Smith doing his original guitar parts, rather than Gers doing them.

Perun said:
Why do you people even still go to Maiden gigs if all you do is complain about the setlist?
Heheh, good point.

It's been years since I've last gone to an Iron Maiden show (although set list choices are not the reason). I must agree with those here who feel that Maiden leave out some classics in their set list in favour of other songs which have "seen their time". Personally, I think Maiden should get rid of some of the overplayed stuff like The Trooper or Hallowed Be Thy Name. For a band with such an extensive catalogue, they stick to very few live choices.

Equally as annoying... one can find many of the same damn songs on every in-concert album they put out.

I love those songs and would love to see them live, as I've never been to a Maiden concert, but I agree, they should replace some older songs with fresh ones. For first time venues they could play the usuals.

Reumeren said:
Maybe not; people might love to hear some 'rarities' live, while still not liking that studio album.

I don't want to hear unlikable songs live, even if they are rare. There are dozens of other, better rare songs.
So I hope Maiden will e.g. keep "New Frontier" in the closet.

That's probably true generally speaking, but Somewhere in Time was an obvious album to pick songs from on a tour with a near-identical name. I don't think an internet poll where people vote songs against eachother says anything about the general opinion on the reacion to the setlist.

Reumeren said:
That's probably true generally speaking, but Somewhere in Time was an obvious album to pick songs from on a tour with a near-identical name. I don't think an internet poll where people vote songs against eachother says anything about the general opinion on the reacion to the setlist.

The following I do not see as the truth, so please don't take it the wrong way.

I am only trying to find out why Somewhere in Time, an album of Maiden's golden(!) era is so unpopular on this particular forum. Here goes my brainstorm:

I think there might be a relation between a setlist and the way people can judge songs.

1. In 2010 a lot of young kids have to swim in a huge offer of music. They listen fast, and listen not well (not often enough) to judge music in a fair way. Note the not unimportant role of (the) Maiden (management) themselves who solely bombard the young kids with the standards, both on best of CDs and on tours. It's almost indoctrination.

2. The less live exposure of an album/songs, the less popular that album/those songs. A lot of people on this forum tend to vote for (kill) songs they have never or hardly seen live. That's because they still can feel the thrill of the few songs they did see live.

So, on this forum we have a combination of the two, which is "deadly" for old Maiden albums which hardly have live exposure.

We have a lot of young people who only know the band shortly and who discover Maiden as fast as other bands. In my younger time, I hardly played anything else when a new Maiden album came out (you couldn't get music for free). I "grew up" with every Maiden album I bought.
But now, also I, in these fast & digital times, play new Maiden albums less often than in the past. Still I saw the AMOLAD tour and to see this album live helped a lot to appreciate its songs even more.

Back to the majority of the people who play polls on this forum. A lot of these people have hardly seen Maiden live, and if they've seen them, they saw a lot of standards, of which most survived the longest on this forum poll. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Since hardly anyone on this forum had the chance to see the more rare SIT songs (SMX is the exception) I think it's -again- not a coincidence that the album went through the toilet as fast as it did.

On the official forum, Maiden is the favourite band of 99% all the members (why else do they pay money to be a fanclub member?). More people grew up with older albums, plus more people have seen more different setlists in their live. Add these factors together  -> The following albums are still alive there:

Iron Maiden: 13 -
Piece Of Mind: 51 +
Powerslave: 14
Somewhere In Tme: 67

Somewhere in Time has the highest score, and might even win that game.

And in the rest of the world? At least in Greece, they still scream for Alexander The Great.  ;)

My 2 cents.

I like SiT, but I think the other Golden era albums are better. I can agree though that Alex went too fast on that poll.

Groteskfull said:
That made me laugh...

I'm not someone who's crazy about solos, but for some reason I prefer Smith doing his original guitar parts, rather than Gers doing them.
Heheh, good point.

I'm glad you took it for what it was: a joke. I was worried I was going to get flames over these "disparaging" remarks.
Forostar said:
Back to the majority of the people who play polls on this forum. A lot of these people have hardly seen Maiden live, and if they've seen them, they saw a lot of standards, of which most survived the longest on this forum poll. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Since hardly anyone on this forum had the chance to see the more rare SIT songs (SMX is the exception) I think it's -again- not a coincidence that the album went through the toilet as fast as it did.

Just to piggyback on this thought. I agree with Foro. I think the fact that Moonchild lasted as long as it did (in the Survivor poll) was due to its inclusion in the last tour. A few years ago Moonchild would have been a nominee for most under-rated, now it's getting its due.

Getting back to the poll's topic, let's hope "Still Life" makes it into the setlist this summer so it can be appreciated like the gem it truly is. Although, I do admit to be very biased for anything POM-related (yes, even Sun and Steel has that classic Maiden gallop).

See I haven't seen Maiden live and I've listened to SiT upwards of a 100 times but I don't think it's remarkable for a Maiden album. The middle run of Sea of Madness, Heaven Can Wait and Lonliness gets a little dull. The opening 2 songs are fantastic as are the back 3 but the middle 3 are weak.

I also found that this album sparkled a lot at first and then quickly became more mediocre for a Maiden album.

On the original topic SiT does have a couple of underrated tracks: Caught Somewhere in Time is hugely underrated it's pure awesome and is one of Maidens top openers. Deja Vu is also brilliant. It's as good a Murray song as there is in the 80's and it's probably marginally better than Still Life his other underrated classic.

Edit: And Moonchild is awesome regardless of whether you've seen it live or not ;)

Jonszat said:
On the original topic SiT does have a couple of underrated tracks: Caught Somewhere in Time is hugely underrated it's pure awesome and is one of Maidens top openers. Deja Vu is also brilliant. It's as good a Murray song as there is in the 80's and it's probably marginally better than Still Life his other underrated classic.
Regarding "Deja Vu" I must disagree, citing "The Prophecy" as one of the higher-quality Murray songs in the (later) 80's. Though I don't know whether I'd say with full conviction that "Caught Somewhere In Time" is underrated, it is definately underplayed.

I was actually overly harsh on SiT on my last post. SiT is awesome. Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years, Stranger in a Stranger Land, DeJa Vu and Alexander the Great are fantastically awesome songs.

Sea of Madness has an awesome pre-solo and solo section, Heaven Can Wait has an awesome middle section and Lonliness is awesome when Bruce starts singing. In all 3 cases the chorus' are disappointing otherwise they'd join the other 5 as fantastically awesome.

I still think it's an average Maiden album though, which is more because IM, NotB, PoM, SSoaSS, BNW, AMOLAD are super brilliant albums.

Jonszat said:
I was actually overly harsh on SiT on my last post. SiT is awesome.

I already wondered why you've played a mediocre album 100 times. ;)

Jonszat said:
I still think it's an average Maiden album though, which is more because IM, NotB, PoM, SSoaSS, BNW, AMOLAD are super brilliant albums.

In my book Sea of Madness, HCW and Loneliness are better songs than the worst ones on any other Maiden album.

Loneliness's chorus is one of the best Maiden choruses. I don't like to use this word, but it's positively epic. You can imagine a slow-motion runner running with the chorus playing in the background.

For me, it's Gates of Tomorrow. The chorus is so absolutely mind blowing to me; the vocal harmonies, as well as the lyrical content is something from the very top drawer. The overly long intro probably stops most people from praising it I guess.

That aside, I can name  at least a half dozen songs which people don't talk about as much as they should: The Pilgrim, Flash of the Blade, The Assassin, The Fallen Angel, Another Life, Purgatory, The Prophecy...

Moonchild33 said:
Loneliness's chorus is one of the best Maiden choruses. I don't like to use this word, but it's positively epic. You can imagine a slow-motion runner running with the chorus playing in the background.

This is a song which I think is also underrated, and one which I really like. The chorus doesn't stand out as highlight for me though, in fact I don't particularly like the lyrics of Loneliness all that much; but I do love the start of the song.

Robbiedbee said:
For me, it's Gates of Tomorrow. The chorus is so absolutely mind blowing to me; the vocal harmonies, as well as the lyrical content is something from the very top drawer. The overly long intro probably stops most people from praising it I guess.

That aside, I can name  at least a half dozen songs which people don't talk about as much as they should: The Pilgrim, Flash of the Blade, The Assassin, The Fallen Angel, Another Life, Purgatory, The Prophecy...

Yessss. I love GoT, and most people just dismiss it as garbage. So sad.

Back