Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 15,16,17: Maiden, Priest Dream Theater

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 10: Queensryche-Dedicated to Chaos

Sorry I started it late last night and fell asleep. I have to re-write it, don't worry it's coming today, hopefully in the next 2 hours.

No rush!

Unless it's a 2011 Rush release.  :D

206445_10150543390340523_130774875522_18226749_2143878_n.jpg

Most of Queensryche's output since Empire has been either mediocre or just plain bad. Each album has something good somewhere, but that's the most that can be said for it. But this album, is exceptionally bad, easily the worst. There is nothing good to be said about this album. All you have to do is look at the song titles, "Wot We Do", "Hot Spot Junkie", and "Big Noize", are the first that come to mind. This album is drenched in keyboards, with a dance/electronica sound. This band is really nothing more than a Geoff Tate solo project now, and it is kind of sad that with albums like this, and the recent cabaret tour, that he continues to trash the legacy of a band that put out great albums such as Operation: Mindcrime, The Warning, and Empire.

1/10
Anvil-Juggernaut-Of-Justice-2011.jpg

Anvil-Juggernaut of Justice

Now on to something better... Let me start by saying that I really enjoyed the Anvil movie, one thing about music docs like that, is they always make me want to further explore the band, Rush's Beyond the Lighted Stage did that, Flight 666 did that, and Foo Fighter's Back and Forth did that too. But for some reason, that movie didn't make me want to check out Anvil. The songs played throughout the film were quite good though. That said, I passed on This is Thirteen. But I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try Juggernaut, and let me say it was well worth it. The album rocked all the way through, and featured some really good songs, and ended with the jazzy Swing Thing, which I really enjoyed, if they did a whole album of songs like that, I would buy it no question. As it's a lot more unique than the rest of the songs on the album, which carry the generic thrash vibe, despite that, it is still a really strong album, and Anvil is a good band.

8/10

Highlights: Swing Thing, Juggernaut of Justice, On Fire, Fukeneh! The Ride

Weaker Moments: Not Afraid, New Orleans Voodoo, Conspiracy

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 10 and 11: Queensryche and Anvil

Well written Mosh. I should try out that Anvil album as well. First I'll do the title track via YouTube.

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases 12 and 13: Yes and Adrenaline Mob

Yes-Fly-From-Here-2011.jpg

Yes-Fly From Here

The first Yes studio album since 2001's Magnification. The first thing a Yes fan will notice about this album is the absence of singer Jon Anderson and Keyboardist Rick Wakeman. Taking their places are Benoit David and Geoff Downes respectively. Many fans have said that this album sounds a lot like Drama. (I have not heard that album so I can't weigh in on that) The title track's We Can Fly movement is in fact taken from the Drama sessions.

Fly From Here, the 22 minute title track, is the centerpiece of the album. It's pretty good, but doesn't feel like one song, especially since they are divided on the CD. There is also a segment of silence in between a few movements, which hurts the continuity. I think it would've been better off as the single 6 minute We Can Fly section, and not an entire 22 minute epic.

The rest of the album contain some good tracks, and even one with bassist Chris Squire taking the lead vocals. (The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be) They seem like they are just there to fill the CD up though.

The Deluxe edition of the album has good packaging, but I'm a bit disappointed about the DVD that came with it. It just has a 15 minute documentary. At most, they could've thrown on some live footage, or a longer documentary. But for just a dollar more, it is still a good deal, although I'd recommend the jewel case version.

Overall, an alright album, the title track is good, and there are some good moments on the second half too, but doesn't hold up with the classic Yes albums and sidelong epics. 6/10

Highlights-Fly From Here, Life on the Film Set
Weaker Moments: Solitaire, Hour Of Need
amob.jpg

Adrenaline Mob EP

A metal supergroup featuring Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy and Symphony X's Russel Allen. Which is a great combination. It also has Mike Orlando, and Rich Ward of Fozzy. This EP features some great heavy tracks and each instrument sounds great, it makes me excited to hear the upcoming album. It also features a great cover of Black Sabbath's Mob Rules. Despite having two Prog musicians, this album is really heavy, and not prog at all. It sounds more like Fozzy than Symphony X. There isn't a bad song on here, although Down to the Floor is slightly weaker than the rest of the tracks. Even while really heavy, there are some great hooks and energy from top to bottom. A great introduction to this band, and I hope they stay around for awhile. 10/10

Highlights-Psychosane, Believe Me, Hit the Wall
Weaker Moments: Down to The Floor
220px-AliceCooperWelcome2MyNightmare.jpg

Alice Cooper-Welcome 2 My Nightmare

I've never been much a fan of Alice Cooper's music, but I thought I'd check this out. I wasn't expecting much, "sequels" like this never turn out as good as the originals, and this is no exception. However, it is still pretty good. One thing that might be concerning is the use of auto tune in the opener I Am Made Of You. But it only appears in that track and really once you get past the auto tune, the song is one of the best on the album. Cooper's voice sounds really good throughout the entire album, and there are some good tracks, that range different genres. There is even a disco song! The story isn't bad either. I won't give it away though.

So overall, this one was a pleasant surprise, and has some really good songs, but doesn't hold up to Welcome to My Nightmare. Basically he managed to do a sequel to a classic album without overdoing it. 8/10

Highlights: I Am Made of You, Underture, Runaway Train, I Gotta Get Out of Here, The Congregation
Weaker Moments: Caffeine, I'll Bite Your Face Off, Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases 12, 13, 14: Yes, Adrenaline Mob, Alice Cooper

I thought Fly From Here was great. Drama was ok not their best, still a solid album.

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases 12, 13, 14: Yes, Adrenaline Mob, Alice Cooper

AM 10/10????? :eek:

When every song is great, it deserves a 10.

FFTE_500.jpg

Iron Maiden-From Fear to Eternity

Yes this must be included. I personally thought it was quite a ballsy move to release a compilation of just material since the 90's. The point of these best of albums is to give new fans a taste of the band, and many new fans will more likely buy a compilation with some songs they've already heard and enjoyed before. Maiden is known for songs like The Trooper and Run to the Hills. Not Man on the Edge or When the Wild Wind Blows. That being said, I don't really see the point in this one. I understand that they are probably required to release one of these every 3 years, but they would've been better off as a sampler of everything. The only songs they really need from this period are Brave New World, Fear of the Dark, Bring Your Daughter, and probably El Dorado.

Getting past that, it is a good track selection. All the required tracks are in (although there aren't many songs that are needed) and many fan favorites are included, many songs from the 00's albums were played on the Final Frontier tour, and it might be a good way to reel in fans, but really Somewhere Back In Time is a much better choice.

One thing that I saw quite a few people complaining about was the Blaze songs didn't have Blaze, but it shouldn't be a surprise. The Paul songs on SBIT were also recordings with Bruce on vocals. Of course, I think in some cases the original versions should be there, but I think the Rock In Rio version of Sign of the Cross is the best version.

Mosh said:
I personally thought it was quite a ballsy move to release a compilation of just material since the 90's. The point of these best of albums is to give new fans a taste of the band, and many new fans will more likely buy a compilation with some songs they've already heard and enjoyed before. Maiden is known for songs like The Trooper and Run to the Hills. Not Man on the Edge or When the Wild Wind Blows. That being said, I don't really see the point in this one. I understand that they are probably required to release one of these every 3 years, but they would've been better off as a sampler of everything. The only songs they really need from this period are Brave New World, Fear of the Dark, Bring Your Daughter, and probably El Dorado.

Can't disagree more with this. We've had tons of overkill 1980s compilations. Finally some focus on later chapters again.

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 15: Iron Maiden

But why? They overkill the 1980's because that is what they are most famous for. Like I said, they should release a comp that encompasses all the periods.

I think Maiden best of's get more notice from the fans because of how they are released. It's traditional, and it's promoted with great fanfare by Maiden. When a band like Kiss releases a best of album, pretty much everyone ignores it because they just appear all of a sudden and include the same tracklist each time. I really don't have a problem with that either, remember, these sets are meant to appeal to new fans, not people who are already fans. So who cares if they release the same thing every three years? They're probably bound by contract anyway.

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 15: Iron Maiden

Mosh said:
They overkill the 1980's because that is what they are most famous for. Like I said, they should release a comp that encompasses all the periods.

I don't understand this well because it's sounds a bit contradicting. First you say it's logical that they overkill the 1980s and then you say that all periods should be encompassed.

Well anyway, I guess I think less commercial than you do. Music is an art form, I feel music. I feel there's a certain decade that was ignored too long by my favourite band. I am not one of those who only love the eighties and this current decade. I don't love incomplete Maiden. And for a long time Maiden seemed to profit from the people who do, rather than promoting that decade.

..and this compilation looks like an attempt (even if it's a poor one) to give the material some deserved final attention (better than nothing).

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 15 and 16: Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

Forostar said:
I don't understand this well because it's sounds a bit contradicting. First you say it's logical that they overkill the 1980s and then you say that all periods should be encompassed.
Right. I believe personally that all periods should be encompassed. But I do think that commercially overkill of the 80's is the way to go.

Well anyway, I guess I think less commercial than you do. Music is an art form, I feel music. I feel there's a certain decade that was ignored too long by my favourite band. I am not one of those who only love the eighties and this current decade. I don't love incomplete Maiden. And for a long time Maiden seemed to profit from the people who do, rather than promoting that decade.
You're right, music is an artform. But when it comes to something like this, it really is a commercial thing.

..and this compilation looks like an attempt (even if it's a poor one) to give the material some deserved final attention (better than nothing).
If that's what it is, then I am less against it.

JudasPriestTheChosenFew.jpg

Judas Priest-The Chosen Few

An interesting concept for a best of album. JP asked a selection of famous musicians to choose their favorite Priest track. (Apparently there are commentaries on each track by the musicians too, but I don't have the physical copy of this) The result is a... generic list.  Not too many surprises, Delivering the Goods, Exciter, and Grinder are unexpected, but besides that, it's just like the other compilations Priest has. It's still a good song list though, and my opinion is just like the Maiden comp, that is, these are for new fans, and people who already know the band shouldn't care too much.

138300908617432.jpg

Dream Theater Live At Budokan-Blu Ray Re-release

First off, this was the first time I had seen the performance, so I will be reviewing the quality of the Blu Ray and the content.

This is a release of the DVD in 2004 on the Train of Thought Tour. I'm pretty sure it was on an Evening With... show, so it's a very satisfying show. There are some great songs included. As I Am is a great opener live (I've seen it firsthand.) and the version of Beyond This Life is the best one ever. The instrumedely is also genius. I noticed the albums Falling into Infinity and When Dream And Day Unite got a good amount of attention, which is kind of uncommon. The performance is spot on, and band is on fire the whole show. I prefer Score though. One thing I especially didn't like was Six Degrees broken up throughout the show. I only like it played as one complete song. And they've done that sort of thing before, on Once in A Livetime, they broke up A Change Of Seasons.

The bonus features are also cool, there is a cool tour doc, and tours of John Petrucci's guitar setup, and Jordan Rudess' Keyboard setup. There is also a Mike Portnoy drum solo.

The video quality is very good, apparently it was shot in HD, and the Blu-Ray really brings it out. It's clear, and the sound is great.

9/10

Re: Mosh Presents: 2011 Music Releases Day 15 and 16: Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

Mosh said:
Judas Priest-The Chosen Few

Here are the songs, and the commenting musicians (copied from wiki):

No. Title Length
1. "Diamonds & Rust" (Chosen by Joe Elliot of Def Leppard) 3:28
2. "Dissident Aggressor" (Chosen by Steve Vai and Geoff Tate of Queensrÿche) 3:07
3. "Exciter" (Chosen by the members of Accept) 5:34
4. "Beyond The Realms Of Death" (Chosen by Lars Ulrich of Metallica) 6:53
5. "Delivering The Goods" (Chosen by Kerry King of Slayer) 4:16
6. "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)" (Chosen by David Coverdale of Whitesnake and Randy Blythe of Lamb of God) 3:23
7. "The Ripper" (Chosen by Ozzy Osbourne) 2:50
8. "Victim of Changes" (Chosen by James Hetfield of Metallica) 7:47
9. "Breaking the Law" (Chosen by Lemmy of Motörhead) 2:35
10. "Rapid Fire" (Chosen by Vinnie Paul of Pantera and Hellyeah) 4:08
11. "Grinder" (Chosen by Zakk Wylde of Black Label Society) 3:58
12. "Living After Midnight" (Chosen by Alice Cooper and Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath) 3:31
13. "Screaming for Vengeance" (Chosen by Slash of Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver) 4:43
14. "You've Got Another Thing Coming" (Chosen by Klaus Meine of Scorpions and Corey Taylor of Slipknot) 5:07
15. "The Sentinel" (Chosen by Chris Jericho of Fozzy) 5:04
16. "Turbo Lover" (Chosen by Jonathan Davis of Korn) 5:33
17. "Painkiller" (Chosen by Joe Satriani) 6:06

Painkiller by Satriani. That's interesting because a friend of mine (a very good guitar player) thought that the main solo is a bit like Steve Vai. Vai studied under Satriani, right?

I like it that also older musicians (older than Priest) are commenting. That's quite rare in the metal business.

Hmm. I know Kirk Hammet studied under Satch. I kind of want to say no. But a quick research tells me otherwise, Vai's career just started much earlier, with working for Zappa. They are very similar players though.

I find it dissapointing that none of the Maiden boy's got to suggest a track, where musicians (and in one case, a WWE performer), such as Corey Taylor and Randy Blythe got to choose one... Not to say there's anything wrong with it, but still, no place for Maiden... not good.

Back