Moments you thought Maiden were ridiculous and embarrassing

DOD cover.

Predator Eddie, 2010.

The excuse for the artwork on the Eddie’s Archive discs, that one with him showing his butt etc, worse than fan art. Can say the same thing about Edward the Great cover. He’s missing a leg.

I mean, he is over 60 years old. I don't think a lot of old people accept or even understand gender theory. Hell, I'm 31 and I can barely follow.
As long as he didn't say anything mean about any person or group, I wouldn't get worked up about it. Did he?

It really depends on where you draw the line whether something is mean or not. Some affected people might be hurt by the fact that he's just making a cheap jab, others might not be - but the point is, why does he even do it at all? If he's unsure about what this is all about, why even talk about it? The original question in this thread is what embarrassed me about Maiden, and their front man who is supposed to embody freedom and living the life of your choosing turning out to be just another old fart who can't handle the world around him changing, yeah that sort of embarrasses me.

I am more surprised that you also consider disagreement about politics/society/current state of the world to be the one sin that is unforgivable and downright embarassing; makes one wonder how did you manage to do with me for all this time.

supposed to embody freedom and living the life of your choosing

Oh, OK, I will never listen to Maiden from now on, you won, I give up. :ninja:

(seriously, though, I don't read this - or at least freedom understood in this way - in the vast majority of Maiden songs, on the contrary, 'Arry's songs at least are mostly the complete opposite, but I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree)

Last edited:
There are plenty of things about Iron Maiden, live and on record, that are ridiculous in terms of their theatricality and melodrama but very few that I would consider embarassing.

I normally do enjoy Bruce's rants, they're usually witty and funny. It's specifically the gender thing that bothers me. I remember one gig when he said something and then added something to the effect of "there used to be only boys and girls, now it's 100 different genders". It came out of nowhere, was unnecessary and just adds the ever so little drop of fuel to the fire.

You can still fuck girls Bruce, nobody's taking that away from you. Just leave other people be.
Tbh as a woman I was quite glad he said that, one of the most sensible and female friendly things that’s come out his mouth for years.

It really depends on where you draw the line whether something is mean or not. Some affected people might be hurt by the fact that he's just making a cheap jab, others might not be - but the point is, why does he even do it at all? If he's unsure about what this is all about, why even talk about it? The original question in this thread is what embarrassed me about Maiden, and their front man who is supposed to embody freedom and living the life of your choosing turning out to be just another old fart who can't handle the world around him changing, yeah that sort of embarrasses me.
It is your right to be offended by things like that, I won't hold it against you. I personally am just fine with some people talking out of their asses every now and again (mostly if I like them).

Not crucial, but just because I'm trying to understand your point of view: one could choose to interpret his words as "these youngins and their genders and smartphones and starbucks, I'm a boomer" kind of thing. Like more of a self jab if anything. I'm not even sure the 100 genders remark is that far off. Do you think that's possible? Or did his delivery make it certain that he is indeed intending that as a joke on the expense of people. If you have a video I'd love to watch it so I don't talk about it just theoretically.

ANOTHER EDIT: Lol I googled it. Bruce was really close!
1689767511910.png

Tbh as a woman I was quite glad he said that, one of the most sensible and female friendly things that’s come out his mouth for years.

I feel there could be a huge argument with what's implied here, but I wonder if you remember exactly what he said just so I can understand the context?

Last edited:
Personally, I think trying to create a list of genders is a fool's errand. Gender isn't a binary, it's a spectrum and there's people who flitter back and forth along it.

I'll remind people that we don't allow posting bigoted content, which includes transphobia. The moderators will enforce these rules aggressively. If you want to talk about this, don't even flirt with crossing the line.

Bruce is beyond embarrassing as far as I am concerned. The signs were there since many years now i.e. Ozzfest, but I guess I was in denial and couldn’t see his huge flaws. Some age like wine, some like vinegar. A teenage idol has been reduced to a sad clown in my eyes.

I love Bruce's rants. I love when somebody says whatever he wants.
The cover of the 'Lord of the Flies' single was pretty embarrassing.

I normally do enjoy Bruce's rants, they're usually witty and funny. It's specifically the gender thing that bothers me. I remember one gig when he said something and then added something to the effect of "there used to be only boys and girls, now it's 100 different genders". It came out of nowhere, was unnecessary and just adds the ever so little drop of fuel to the fire.
That was Hannover 2018, right?

Bruce is beyond embarrassing as far as I am concerned. The signs were there since many years now i.e. Ozzfest, but I guess I was in denial and couldn’t see his huge flaws. Some age like wine, some like vinegar. A teenage idol has been reduced to a sad clown in my eyes.
When i went to the this button chats.....i felt in some way like that....... he told a history that was not true for sure. i felt a bit embarrasing. I want the old rocker from 1992.

It is your right to be offended by things like that, I won't hold it against you. I personally am just fine with some people talking out of their asses every now and again (mostly if I like them).

Not crucial, but just because I'm trying to understand your point of view: one could choose to interpret his words as "these youngins and their genders and smartphones and starbucks, I'm a boomer" kind of thing. Like more of a self jab if anything. I'm not even sure the 100 genders remark is that far off. Do you think that's possible? Or did his delivery make it certain that he is indeed intending that as a joke on the expense of people. If you have a video I'd love to watch it so I don't talk about it just theoretically.

ANOTHER EDIT: Lol I googled it. Bruce was really close!
View attachment 28660

I feel there could be a huge argument with what's implied here, but I wonder if you remember exactly what he said just so I can understand the context?
You can probably search on YouTube. To be fair to him he was basically stating what the UK courts have agreed it a philosophical belief system which is protected under s10 of the Equality Act 2010
Absolutely - I thought the spirit of heavy metal was freedom not be constrained by trends.

Well, guess what @Liz England - freedom of speech goes both ways. Sure you're allowed to say whatever you want, but other people are allowed to say that what you say is stupid. I never said Bruce wasn't allowed to say what he said, I said I think it's embarrassing, because I think it's stupid. If your best counter to that is "Bruce was allowed to say that", then you're doing more to confirm me than you think.

Well, guess what @Liz England - freedom of speech goes both ways. Sure you're allowed to say whatever you want, but other people are allowed to say that what you say is stupid. I never said Bruce wasn't allowed to say what he said, I said I think it's embarrassing, because I think it's stupid. If your best counter to that is "Bruce was allowed to say that", then you're doing more to confirm me than you think.
Oh I absolutely agree that you’re allowed to say whatever you like, as long as you agree that others, including me, are allowed to say whatever they like too then we are all friends. I happen to agree with what he said here and pointed out that these views were a protected philosophy under UK law as there were accusations starting to be thrown.

You’re welcome to call me stupid, couldn’t give a toss really. Anyway, have a lovely night mate -peace.

Do you guys even enjoy the music? Seems like you are so invested what Bruce says on stage and outside of it that it hurts your feelings towards the band. I think sometimes we should take a step back and just listen music. My brother and father who are Maiden fans and with whom I have attended many concerts, don't visit this forum. They don't know what is Bruce's political view or what he thinks about genders or whatever. They listen the music, go to concerts and are enjoying the the excistence of band. Do they need to know about band members personal life and views? No. And that's what we should maybe do.

But to answer the question then Dance of Death cover is one of the things that comes to mind.

Yeah....I'm going to stay the hell out of this thread other than to say this:

I really wouldn't take the shit Bruce says too seriously. Sometimes he just talks out of his ass and that's it. I don't think he even takes himself too seriously a lot of the time.

There's nothing about Maiden that I find really ridiculous or embarrassing, certainly nothing that would derail them from being my all-time favorite band.

Remember we are all Maiden fans or none of us would be here spending time posting on an unofficial fan forum.

Yeah....I'm going to stay the hell out of this thread other than to say this:

I really wouldn't take the shit Bruce says too seriously. Sometimes he just talks out of his ass and that's it. I don't think he even takes himself too seriously a lot of the time.

There's nothing about Maiden that I find really ridiculous or embarrassing, certainly nothing that would derail them from being my all-time favorite band.

Remember we are all Maiden fans or none of us would be here spending time posting on an unofficial fan forum.
I couldn't have said it better...Bruce is clever enough to know what is doing when he's on stage. He's there to entertain the audience, maybe sometimes he speaks about subjects that may upset but really you don't need to be the new Einstein to understand that he doesn't it too seriously. He's not on stage to preach or whatsoever ...if some here are "shocked" by his rants, oh god...then take a travel machine (or just simply watch Youtube) back to 91-93 and listen to some Axl Rose rant's..there you might be shocked and be offended (with all the reason) simply because he truly meant every word he was saying onstage, he took himself pretty seriously!! Bruce is above all an entertainer and he knows how to do it...maybe from time to time, he touched on a sensitive subject and did not always choose the "right" words but c'mon give me a break...it that's what's embarassing about Maiden, I really don't know what other bands you listen to that are "less" embarassing!!!

Ok, I'm out of this thread as well

Back